1. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Survival in wilderness

Discussion in 'Research' started by Catriona Grace, Jun 26, 2021.

Thank you!

The Revenant bored the hell out of me. I don't even remember if I finished watching it. Best part was depiction of the grizzly attack- someone did some homework on that. But climbing into the dead horse to keep from freezing? Not only impractical but right out of a Star Wars movie.

Stutley Constable likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Ok, I'm thinking The Revenant is guilty as charged then, and possibly the Eastwood movie too, though I don't remember it very well (including the name of it).

3. Xoic

I believe people have actually done that. At least I've heard it's happened.

4. Catriona Grace

Maybe, but people have survived all sorts of stupid actions. Are you thinking, perhaps, of Father Joseph Goiffon? He has the reputation of climbing inside his dead horse to survive a prairie blizzard, but he never actually managed to get the creature open. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/118444244/joseph-goiffon

First of all, it's not all that easy to gut an animal, but especially one the size of a horse. (Ask me about elk hunting someday to find out how I know that.) Suffering from mild to moderate hypothermia and fairly major trauma, a person manages to gut a horse, then climbs into the sopping wet inside of the dead animal in order to escape the cold. That person is now not only very cold, but soaked with body fluids. The dead animal is no longer generating heat and will freeze. The body cavity itself is not closed to the elements, so cold is still coming in from outside. The body heat of the sopping wet person inside the freezing/frozen animal body continues to drop as hypothermia intensifies due to a combination of wet and cold. Not a good scenario for survival.

What really got me about The Revenant version was old Leo climbing out of the frozen horse the next day. Have you ever tried to budge the frozen ribcage of an animal the size of a horse? Me, either, but I doubt a weak, beat, frozen fellow who fell off a damn cliff the night before could manage to crack his way out. He'd be trapped there until hell thawed up at least a little.

Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

Of course, we're talking about a movie where, at least on the symbolic level, the lead is actually a ghost (like in The Crow, kept here only by the power of his unfulfilled revenge). But that's not explicitly the case, he could actually be dead or maybe just symbolically dead. But then, otherwise the movie is very realistic, so your points are valid.

And I don't know who I had heard about, in fact I have only the most vague memories of hearing or reading about it. What you say all makes sense though. Hey coming from someone who's husband has the rare and amazing skill of being able to make antelopes stew, how could I not believe? :D No, but seriously, I accept your knowledge of hollow-horned ruminants (cud chewers) in the family Bovidae.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  6. Catriona Grace

Elk are in the family Cervidae, horses in the family Equidae, and American antelope (pronghorn) are in the family Antilocapridae. Old World antelope are family Bovidae, and I don't know a thing about them. Don't know much about ghosts, either, symbolic or actual, though I have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion of an actual ghost gutting a horse or getting torn up by a grizzly bear. Ah, well, these little idiosyncrasies are just part of my charm. :supercute:

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

See what I mean? Again, I bow to your knowledge of them big horned amminuls. But like in The Crow, a revenant (maybe not always?) is a physical being remaining on this plane, perhaps simply allowed to live on when they should be dead, but apparently possessing some supernatural traits. Plus the movie wanted to create some ambivalence about whether he was really alive or a revenant. My spellcheck doesn't like that word. Here. Let me Add To Dictionary...

And I mean, he wouldn't have been dead when he was attacked by the grizzly bear, that was what did him in. And he absorbed the powerful spirit of the bear, symbolized by its claws that he wore as a necklace. At the point where he emerged from his shallow grave, that was his symbolic rebirth (as a living man, or a revenant, not sure).

Ah sorry, I'm taking another thread on a long detour from its topic. Please continue...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  8. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Ups, but I think this topic should be granted a special thread ;)

Xoic likes this.
  9. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Clint Eastwood has starred in at least two westerns in which his character was a ghost. One was Pale Rider (the Preacher); the other was High Plains Drifter (the stranger).

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

True. I've been trying to find which of his movies had Sondra Locke in it where she got raped. They co-starred in 6 movies, but only a few are westerns. Haven't been able to find it yet, but I'm almost willing to bet she got frigidaire-d.

11. Xoic

... And it just occurred to me. I'll bet Leo gutting and napping in his horsie was another incidence of him absorbing the powerful spirit of a dead animal. The horse died loyally trying to save his life, and even after death its spirit still helped him. Maybe it's what gave him the dogged determination and pure strength to go on against everything that should have killed him 6 times over.

Maybe he also absorbed the spirit and strength of his dead son? His dead wife appeared to him a few times. Yeah, there's definitely a connection going on with the world of the dead and the spirits assisting him. Even though I don't care for the surface story or the directing much, if there's a subtextual theme like this now I want to watch it again and look for more evidence. I can zone out totally in front of the projection screen and just lose myself in the amazing dreamlike long-take widescreen cinematography all day.

12. Catriona Grace

Thanks. I'll watch the movie again some day keeping all that in mind. "Too literal" isn't an accusation often leveled at me, but it may be a legitimate one in this case.

Um, Xoic? Pronghorns have horns. Elk have antlers. ;):D

Xoic likes this.
  13. Xoic

I officially give up. :blech:

14. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The Gauntle? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gauntlet_(film)

Unfortunately, Clint sort of "fridgedaire-d" Sondra in real life, too.

Xoic likes this.
  15. Xoic

So I've heard.

I'm pretty sure it was a western, but not entirely positive. The scene seems (in my sieve-like memory) to be set in a desert, but I only remember that isolated scene and can't be sure. I did see The Gauntlet and vaguely remember parts of it (especially the bus getting swiss-cheesed, or is that colandered?), but I recall it being set in a big city. That doesn't seem right.

16. Xoic

It's probably Sudden Impact, directed by Eastwood and one of the Dirty Harry movies. Part of synopsis:

The film tells the story of a gang rape victim (Locke) who decides to seek revenge on the rapists ten years after the attack by killing them one by one. Inspector Callahan (Eastwood), famous for his unconventional and often brutal crime-fighting tactics, is tasked with tracking down the serial killer. As Callahan investigates the killings, he becomes romantically entangled with the woman, not knowing that she is responsible for the murders.
    Well that hardly sounds like fridging! What with her doing all the killing and all.

17. Xoic

Nope, it must be The Outlaw Josey Wales. Everything looks right, including the clothes Locke is wearing, though the scene wasn't included in the trailer.

18. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

People, please try to discuss one topic and not several at once ;) If you want to discuss movies/books in general, please go to the relevant subforum :supercool:.

19. Catriona Grace

Sorry. Occupational hazard.

20. Catriona Grace

:superyesh::superwink:

Xoic likes this.
  21. Xoic

I just meant I give up on trying to say anything about antelopes or horses or ephelunts or any other large mammalian species.

22. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

You may be confusing Sudden Impact with The Outlaw Josey Wales. It looks like Sandra Locke played his second 'wife' in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Cissy Wellman played his first wife that was murdered. I suppose she may have looked like Locke at that time through.

23. Xoic

Yeah, even though Locke was dressed almost exactly right in Josey Wales and it included the right kind of desert setting, that isn't it either.

24. Catriona Grace

That works. :friend:

Xoic likes this.
  25. Trubbshore

Trubbshore Banned

Currently Reading::
    Anonymous Rex
    Cat, it's fiction. It did not really happen.
    I would like to read some of yours now, please direct me?