Survival in wilderness

Discussion in 'Research' started by Catriona Grace, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Ah, but isn't it fun to take apart ridiculous scenarios? ;) No one wants to watch "historical" movies with me, cop shows with my daughter, or legal dramas with either of us.

My published work is mostly nonfiction written under my real name which I hesitate to reveal in a public forum since my name is unusual and makes me easily traceable. Published short stories have been in literary journals that probably aren't available any more. I'll check and see if any are still online anywhere.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Haha, this reminds me of when I saw Black Swan and wanted to talk about it to my friend who is a ballet dancer. I was excited about (what else?) the symbolism and psychology, but she said she couldn't make it 2 minutes in without laughing psychotically at what a bad dancer Natalie Portman is. It was apparently making her violently angry.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The same for pretty much every restaurant movie for me. Except for one Law and Order episode where the detectives were in a kitchen for like 90 seconds. You could tell it was shot on location in a random joint because it was filthy and there was shit piled on every table surface. I was like, that's a real restaurant they stuck a camera in.

The best is Cocktail, which is one of my favorite movies, but seeing Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown doing flair bartending by themselves for 100 people was just hilarious. In the real world, you'd need 5 bartenders, 2 barbacks, a dozen runners, and God knows how many batches and speed pourers. And there'd be debris from floor to ceiling.

Xoic likes this.
  4. Catriona Grace

I'm no ballerina, but I had enough classes to wonder why they didn't slip a real dancer into the dancer sequences.

Xoic likes this.
  5. Xoic

Well they did at times, but they also wanted to be able to see Natalie dancing in closeup for some scenes. The dialectic between Natalie and her dance double actually played powerfully into the themes of the movieā€”a real-life doppelganger, just as in the movie Mila Kunis was her doppelganger. It was this doppelganger theme bleeding out into the real-life aspects of the movie, which happened in a few other ways as well, like real-life Natalie apparently being impregnated by director Aronofsky while marrying her co-star and the film's choreographer Benjamin Millepied. He played the evil sorcerer Von Rothbart in the Swan Lake ballet, who cast the spell turning all the women into swans. It gets so freaking meta it explodes your brain!! If you pay attention to the symbolism it's insanely brilliant. And all very deliberately orchestrated by Aronofsky. With all this going on I don't care if Natalie has 2 broken legs, I'm watching that movie!!

Here's my analysis of it if anybody wants to see how deep of a rabbit hole it really is: Lipstick and Blood - an analysis of Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Catriona Grace likes this.
  6. Catriona Grace

@Xoic, I read part of your analysis, will read the rest, and then maybe watch the movie again sometime. Thanks for sharing the rabbit hole.

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

Perhaps better called a swan hole... :supercheeky:

8. Javelineer

Javelineer Active Member

I wonder how old this idea is, exactly? Jack London offhandedly mentions a man crawling inside a steer in To Build A Fire, so it seems likely to predate the 20th Century at least.

His own character somewhat famously tries and fails to kill his own dog with the intention of warming his hands in the viscera, which certainly sounds more doable.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Century_Magazine/Volume_76/Issue_4/To_Build_a_Fire