Swine Flu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pacmansays, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razumikhin

razumikhin New Member

Dissatisfied customers will have trouble leaving negative feedback from six feet under :p

2. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Money back guarantee upon personal application

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

So true, but I will admit, even the weakest excuse to enjoy bacon is appreciated! LOL

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Bacon's mysterious properties of immunity is news to me. :D

Slightly off topic, my response to Sabreur's banter. :)
    Neverrrrrr!
    But seriously, from the scientific research I know of, plants do not feel pain and are secondary life forms to animals like pigs and humans. I have trouble eating something that can feel pain and terror as it is murdered and is also treated quite unhygenically...
    Also it's quite unproductive. 80% of agriculture goes into the mouths of the food that goes into our mouths. :eek:
    I dont like that we kill animals to feed ourselves when we can sustain ourselves quite well, and the diet is generally much healthier, on vegetables, fruits, and meat-substitutes. --And I certainly dislike the methods used to kill these animals. But to me, it's not even about people who eat meat are 'bad' and those who dont are 'good,' it's about utilizing resources and sparing animals by being healthy. :)

5. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I was simply joking around. I have nothing against vegetarianism.

Now, back to the pig sniffles!

6. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Why? I know it's a horrible disease and has killed some people but why have I actually got to care? I don't know the people that have it, nor do I know anyone that does, or even know anyone that knows someone who does (you can see what I'm getting at here). Whilst I realise it must be frightened for the people that have it and those that live a lot closer to anyone that does, I personally am not going to worry just yet. As of yesterday there were 8 cases of swine flu here in the UK and I reckon a vaccination will be ready before the end of July.

I don't mean to be a total arrogant tard that I'm most likely coming across as, but it isn't anywhere near an 'epidemic' here so I'm not going to sweat about it.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

On a local TV channel that has a section of the screen listing news headlines and such, I saw one that said this situation helped a guy get a six-figure deal for a book about viruses.

8. burned_out

burned_out New Member

Around my area, they are deathly scared of the swine flu. The fear has escalated so much around here, I know of several students that have decided to stay home the rest of the school year.

I think its ridiculous. Yeah, I'm pretty scared myself, but I don't think its going to be an epidemic like the Plague was.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A reasoned response would be somewhere between pointless panic and bland indifference. Exercise reasonable care to minimize exposure and transmission, but don't turn your life upside down.

Late breaking news - this mask is being adapted for Joe Biden to guard against the dangers of verbal diarrhea:

[​IMG]

10. Cogito

Biden has long been known as a carrier of foot-in-mouth disease.

11. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

LOL Cogito!

Love the pic, btw.

12. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i heard that the government has millions of vials of vaccine all ready, wow to have such a large quanity of the 'cure' so readily handy. its like i'm reliving a past now.

strange it reminds me of V for Vandetta.

conspiracy theorist, oh quite possibly i am, but then the government isn't exactly the most honest business, seen it before sadly too many times.

It bothers me that so many deaths centre in Mexico. I talked to a few workers from there who come up here during the summer months. they are worried about their familie sand understandably so but wonder why fatalities seemed so centered down there.

the powers that be are out there, we just don't know who they are.

Alex Jones in an interesting speaker on the subject. i believe he's on youtube.

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

One of my managers and I were talking about the swine flu at work yesterday, and he mentioned something about the regular flu that interested me. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, approximately 36,000 people a year die from the flu in the US alone...so I think maybe I'll take my chances with the swine flu.

Edit: Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this...I lost track of the thread for a while and haven't read all the posts.

14. becca

My husband was telling me that he heard on the news that the pork people (farmers, ,whatnot) are protesting the use of the frase 'Swine' flu. Because it is hurting their industry. Which is true. Some places have refused to buy pork, and pork products. They have repeatedly said that you can't get it from eating pork, or handling raw pork. I think people are panicking a bit too much. Especially since most people are recovering that have the flu.

15. hiddennovelist

This is what my friend told me:

"236 cases isnt a pandemic. but panic! thats always good for a laugh."

The first case here in AZ was at some elementary school in Phoenix, and one of the girls I work with was freaking out because her husband works in Phoenix, and she didn't want him to get exposed to it. Last time I checked, Phoenix is a really big place...I'm sure his odds of running into kids from that elementary school are not very high.

16. becca

But he could, however, be at the same restarant that a parent was at, or have to deal with someone that has kids. Still no need to panic. If you think about how many people don't get the flu each year, you realize that it isn't that highly likely unless you don't wash your hands after going to public places and whatnot.

17. Cogito

It all depends on the distribution and the probability of proliferation. Keep in mind that the number of diagnosed cases is only the proverbial tip of the iceberg. The number of cases in the incubation period, and full-blown infections that have not yet been identified also add to the threat. Fortunately, the communicable phase of influenza takes place after symptoms appear. For diseases communicable without obvious symptoms, the propagation model can be far worse. Likewise, diseases witj a lengthier incubation operiod have a greater percentage of the iceberg under water.

A widely distributed 236 cases is a far greater threat than 236 cases confined to a single town.

18. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Isn't tamiflu the only effective drug for the flu?

(Sorry if this has been mentioned...I'm lazy...*sigh*)

19. sophie.

sophie. New Member

the stuff that treats these weird flu strains

20. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

according to Wikipedia:

21. Cogito

Tamiflu is a treatment but not a cure.

22. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i am astonished at how easily most swallow the processed food that the news agency throws at us. it amazes me at times how other lies just get brushed under the table, forgotten misjudgements. but hey lets innoculate all the children with that drug and whatever else is inside it. what better way to do this then by causing a world crisis instilling fear/panic. run run run get that needle...but i'll pass.

everyone has a choice..until they take it away, like they do in schools where children get suspended if not up to date with needles. I imagine this will be added soon.

sorry for my disbelief at all this but i've seen such things too many times to take them as truth anymore.

CoS

23. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Oh, sod swine flu.

What about the normal flu, or everyday car accidents, or MRSA, or food-poisoning, or old people being starved to death in care homes, or the other 'baby P's' of the UK, hospital neglect, or AIDs, or women dying from being given the wrong injections before childbirth.......?!

Stupid scare mongering drives me up the wall

24. razumikhin

razumikhin New Member

speaking of Baby P, the man from the couple that ****ed him up has been convicted of the rape of a two year old girl.

All the kids wish they had him as their dad.

25. hiddennovelist

I heard that someone was getting sued or something because they got sick and then went out in public and got other people sick. I kind of get the thought behind that, but really with jobs these days, it's not like most people have the option of staying home if they get sick...here, at least, you could get written up or worse for doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.