Tattoos of Dedicated Fans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dresden260, Sep 23, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

^This. It's just so school playground, lol.

2. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

I see nothing wrong with it, however, I would post it up all over your house/work/car/any place you'd have to look at it all the time for at least a year. If you can still live with it after that time, then by all means go for it. I have several symbols, not from literature, but from music and other things including the Red Hot Chili Peppers logo on my right wrist, the Demon Hunter logo on my right bicep (both bands I have done work for in the past), Lyrics from an As I Lay Dying song set on a scroll that looks like it's nailed to my right bicep. I have the Corvette racing logo on my right calf and the Dale Earnhardt 3 framed by black roses and the words "Indtimidator" in a banner across the top, his autograph beneath it, and the dates 1951-2001 in a banner underneath on my right forearm.

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Perhaps I just reacted to the tone, about Wreybies ruining his arm if he got the tattoo or whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, no harm, no foul. :cool:

4. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    The burning bridge from the book was the symbol of the "Bridge Burners" They burned the bridge to the past and came out a whole new person.

I was bullied a lot as a kid and it scarred me. I was afraid of everyone except for 3 people. (2 guys, 1 girl) The two guys were my 'rocks' while the girl was the shield. With their guidance I became a new person when I entered high school. It lasted for 5 years till my Sophmore year of college. Two of them were killed in Iraq by an I.E.D and the girl had moved on with her life and we rarely spoke. I was alone for the first time in years. I contemplated suicide multiple times but never followed through with anything.

I stumbled upon the Malazan book of the Fallen series while walking around the local book store (Like I normally did after class) I began reading the series and I saw a group of fictional characters who had basically gone through the same thing I had. They went through the struggles and finally realized that they were the Masters of their life and nothing could change that. They had crossed a massive desert searching for a group and this quote hit me hard when I read it; " Raraku burned our pasts away, making all that came before a trail of ashes." -Kalam. I was hit hard by it. I realized that the past was burning and my future would be forged how I wanted it.

I've been finalizing the design for 2 years and will be getting it a week after I graduate. I have First in Last out under the arch with the names of my fallen friends. I will never regret getting that tattoo. You might say that I won't be forgetting the past. You're right. The pasts will always be with you but you can choose what to remember and A rock will not erode to nothing in the period of my lifetime

KaTrian likes this.
  5. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I think that tattoos can be amazing, and I think that they can be extremely stupid. I love tattoos that have meaning. I don't care if someone else doesn't understand what they mean, but if they have meaning to you... that's really all that matters. I have one, a Celtic tree of life, which symbolizes my ever-changing, ever-growing nature. It reminds me that I NEED to grow, but with that, I can't forget my roots.

There are others that I've thought about, but none that I've taken the plunge for. It is expensive, and GOD DAMN it hurts. But I don't regret it at all. My body is a blank canvas, just like a blank piece of paper. I think your tattoo sounds amazing and quite powerful. I would research, research, research the correct tattoo artist to take on how you want the design. Look at not only their designs, but also their finished projects. Someone who can tattoo well, might not be able to draw well... and vice versa. I was lucky in the sense that my tattoo artist was pretty good, but we've all seen the super messed up tattoos that are out there.

Good luck on finding your artist and finishing your design. You should post it when its done. :)

6. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

And my question in return is—Who would you be getting this tattoo for... yourself or others? It doesn't matter what others think. You're going to be the one to wear it.

I started to get tattooed when I was 23. It wasn't a knee-jerk reaction; it wasn't done to be fashionable, or because it was the latest must-have accessory—it was because I've always been drawn to it—the permanence aspect has always fascinated me. My tattoos tell a story in the same way my words do. For me, they are a permanent, portable memoir of my feelings, beliefs, interests... and you know what?—I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what anyone else thinks of them. Just as well... I'm currently running at about 70% coverage, but made the decision to hang back about 10 years ago. I'm only 46, have recently become a grandmother, and so I want to reserve some skin to record future events. I am sure this leaves some people asking—What is the point?—when all my efforts will be consigned to the crematorium fire. That's exactly the point. They have never been for anyone but myself.

The only bit of advice I feel I should give is to consider that, just as our characters do, we evolve—time and circumstance change us. I have no tattoos that I regret, but that is only because I can look at them, and see that they were representative of where I was at a particular place and time, and I fully accept this. If your tattoo ends up being the only one, make sure it accounts for something deep and meaningful to you. (Or perhaps like so many, you'll start of with the idea of just getting one and get hooked. Just make sure it's what you truly want, and not a reaction to the endorphine release.)

Also... when it comes to picking a tattooist—be choosy. There is a glut of artists out there. Spend a bit of time getting to know them and their work. I'm not sure what the situation is where you are, but in my locale, the best artists work appointments, and often there will be at least a 3 month wait. Within studios, some artists might be better suited for what you have in mind than others. Many artists do not enjoy inking script, for example, while others excel at it. Do a bit of research, and once you've settled on an artist, listen to him/her. A good artist won't think twice about rubbishing unsuitable suggestions for fear of you taking your business elsewhere. You, to them, are a walking advertisement of their craft, and they will be keen to ensure that the tattoo you bear will show their work in a positive light. If you produce a design and they suggest ways that your 2D rendition on paper might be better worked for maximum effect on flesh, listen to them. An open minded approach that is flexible enough to understand the limitations of the medium will yield a better result.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    TessaT and graphospasm like this.