Tavern's Member Picture Gallery.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I love stormy weather, even when it's a blizzard. When I was a kid, I didn't just haunt my neighborhood during thunderstorms at night; I did so in the dead of winter as well; it's a marvel to me that I never caught hypothermia but once.

scary winter 1.gif

Cave Troll, nycoma and OurJud like this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I love being out in extreme weathers, too, but we don't get a lot of it in the UK. I don't know what it did for you personally, but it imbues me with a sense of utter freedom. Maybe this is why I always get the urge to pack my tent and head into the hills when the weather starts to get shitty, and never in the summer.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  3. ThunderAngel

I had an odd connection with thunderstorms when I was a kid, and I still do. Whenever one blew in it was like I became someone else and I had to find my way outside. I got into trouble doing it, but it stayed with me into my teen years, and by then my parents had come to accept that the rain and I were inseparable.

I think part of it had to do with an extreme dissatisfaction with the world, and the storm gave me a sense of profound release: I became elemental for awhile.

4. ThunderAngel

Because of my condition, I have no discernible Adam's apple.

ta n2.jpg

Carly Berg likes this.
  5. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Rain doesn't really bother me. I don't use an umbrella, and I occasionally let myself get purposefully soaked through. I actually enjoy it when rain drips from my hair. :D
    I also love the wind. It helps me breathe, somehow. This is partly why I don't deal well when it's hot, and especially when it's stagnant, humid and muggy. Urgh! :dead:

ThunderAngel likes this.
  6. ThunderAngel

I don't handle hot, muggy days that well. A month or so ago I almost fainted at work because it was so hot; I had to sit down for a long time and pour cold water on myself just to get the spell to pass.

I love my hair dripping wet, too. I remember years ago when I went to a goth event in Charlotte NC and met a friend from Ohio there. It came a big rain that night, and I spent a great deal of time out in it. My friend thought I was weird, but the cold night rain honestly felt like home to me, even in that strange city. So, after the two day event was over, I came back home and did some research online for whatever happens to me on rainy and stormy nights and I wasn't able to find out anything about it. The closest thing I can think to compare it to is dissociative identity disorder, but I don't consider what I experience during those times a disorder, it's very liberating, in fact, and I remember everything.

I could write a whole book on my experiences in the rain, lol.

7. flawed personality

Possible book title: Soaked to the skin. :D

Mark Burton and ThunderAngel like this.
  8. ThunderAngel

Love it! :)

flawed personality likes this.
  9. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

20181012_214603-512x1034.jpg IMG_889-530x530.jpg

I know it's Oktober, but I've been making stockings! One for Lost and one for Baltasar. The bear will be decorating Lost's at some point when I stop being lazy.

Lost will make me my own.
    IMG_891-530x770.jpg
    Also my first attempt on Christmas card. I... have a long way to go.

10. flawed personality

Knitted stockings. Cool! :)
    The little bear pom pom is so sweet.
    As for the Christmas card...what an awesome Bullfinch! :D
    I really like crafty stuff.

11. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Sorry to dissapoint, I did not knit those! I hand sewed them out of an old shirt :bigoops:

I'm not really for sewing usually, but we decided to make each other Christmas stockings so I had no option!

I love doing crafty stuff though, but me and fabric usually don't go along.

12. flawed personality

Nice recycling. I like that too. :)

Lemie likes this.
  13. ThunderAngel

Some 3D smartphone concepts I designed a few years ago with mobile operating systems based on Linux desktop environments. Each phone is designed to reflect the operating system it runs: Ubuntu with its minimalist design, Mint with its floral, organic look and feel, and CrunchBang with its futuristic/zen look.

Ubuntu Smart Phone A0001.png

Mint Phone Image0001.png

Crunchbang Smart Phone Image0001.png

14. ThunderAngel

And I designed this CrunchBang tablet concept as well. Back then CrunchBang was my favorite Linux based operating system; it was actually light enough to run on mobile hardware, and I thought it would be the coolest mobile OS to have, so I did these; I'm such a geek, lol.

Tablet CrunchBang 0001 edit.jpg
    Tablet CrunchBang 10001 edit.jpg Tablet CrunchBang 30001 edit.jpg

Some Guy, Mark Burton and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I feel so old right about now....

[​IMG]

16. ThunderAngel

Aww, I'll be 45 this coming 31st. :)

Necronox and Cave Troll like this.
  17. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Usually I feel old when I talk to people about CDs, VHS and Floppies and then watch their faces go blank, their eyes slowly staring at me as if I have just lost my mind.... but that just made me feel young..... Almost twice my age....

ThunderAngel likes this.
  18. ThunderAngel

I have the pleasant problem of people thinking that I'm younger than I really am. Physically, I'll be 45, but I still feel like a teenager most of the time, and I think that has been largely responsible for looking fifteen to twenty years younger than I really am.

Besides, I still like toys, I make my own video games, design my own clothes, etc; I don't have time to age, lol.

19. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Heh. certainly better then me as I have to opposite issue. People often guess my age as my physical age, plus another 10 or so years. I've got a really deep voice and I am a historian - so I usually use archaic words, phrases or refer to items that only 60+ y.o even remember.

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    From your picture, I would have guessed mid-twenties. I'm 47, but mentally I'm part of the XP generation. I think living overseas has stunted me technologically.

21. ThunderAngel

Wow, thanks. :) Many people remember Windows XP as the last of the "Proper" Microsoft operating systems, I tend to think so as well. If I were not a Linux user, I'd probably still be using my XP system.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  22. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

XP was the last true Win32 OS. 64bit just dissed on everything, unless you crack open the registry and tweak a few things. Then it all runs fine again, gee what's the message there? Something like "fuck you for your loyal patronage" now go and buy all your software over again, like a good little consumer. Win7 is the line in the sand, everything after that was your computer marketing to you. Is it just me who thinks a session on my PC should be anything but a Morracan bazaar?
    Rant over. Time for me to stop being such a chicken-dick, and go Linux. * sigh *

ThunderAngel likes this.
  23. ThunderAngel

I heard recently that Apple is rigging its products to "Brick" themselves if unauthorized repairs are made on them. As annoying as Microsoft has become, Apple has gone too far, in my opinion. For a DIY person like myself, there's no way I would spend all that money on a Mac book if I can't dual-boot it or fix any hardware issue that comes up, lol.

24. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Well, that and a few other things. For me, the biggest benefit that 64 bit has over 32 is file sizes. Original 32 bit systems, due to the nature of the 32 bit registry, could only support file sizes up to about 2GB, or if you had Large File Support, 4GB. 64 bit systems have maximum file sizes of somewhere around 16TB. Not that I'm planning on using files that huge, but I'm sure someone said something similar about 4 GB files back in 1995.

Some Guy and ThunderAngel like this.
  25. ThunderAngel

For the kind of work I do, I have to have a 64 bit system. My notebook is a 32 bit Windows 10, but the solid-state hardware does mean better performance than mechanical, so I'm able to work on my games and videos to a limited degree on it.

But, when it comes to video editing, serious game-dev, 3D rendering etc, I need that extra memory that 64 bits provide. Mercifully, Linux operating systems are much more efficient than Windows, so that helps as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.