Teenage Reactions?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Corgz, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Z. C. Bolger

Z. C. Bolger New Member

What would run through my mind? "WWKD?" =(What Would Katniss Do)

2. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Well considering I already screwed up in getting taken, without ending a few.

I’m in a plane lode of other teens.
    Little chance of survival in this situation if we all fight to the death, odds is against me
    We outnumber the guards
    Think Machiavelli, think Sun, hope they did not take my personal weapons from me that I carried as a teen.
    Rally the others; neutralize the guard(s). Take control of the plane, and then roll home like it’s an average day in the hood. Use the story to get mad game.

Even in high school I lived of the motto, “ you can try to take me or kill me, but ill try my hardest to send you first”

3. Corgz

Corgz New Member

James Berkely: I think I shuold make it that they plan to rebel, but then when the two non-english speakign kids get murdered, they drop the plans. Sound good?

4. Sam M

Sam M Member

Yeah, that's a good idea. Adds that little bit more realism.

5. Corgz

Corgz New Member

So two people have been killed and there is no chance anyoen will want to escape now...

Remember some of these kids have been on the plane for days though. how would they react after that amount of time?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Each one will react according to his or her personality. As for "no chance anyone will want to escape now", don't bet on it! Many, many stories center around a character who never surrenders, no matter the cost or the odds.

7. Corgz

Corgz New Member

And there isn't really anywhere they can escape to... There are no indows on the plane, the door is extremely heavy and thick, thre are gaurds everywhere... all of them have guns... And they only have about 8 hours on the plane anyway, then they are orced onto the island.... Where they shall FIGHT TO THE DEATH!

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

And some of them have a big problem with taking orders from a person or a group of people holding him/her and his/her comrades hostage.

Chances are, one or more of the teens will rise up and fight.

9. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Look, no one is fighting -_- they're all scared to, I doubt any teen would be stupid enough to try and fight a bunch of grown men with guns.

Two people have already been killed for no reason and there isn't even hance of an escape -_-

They will be off the plane in a chapter... i just need to kno how to portray fear!

Anyway.. i think i'm pretty much good with it now.. so you can all stop commenting and let this topic slink away to the 100th page :)

10. names

names New Member

I think this post relates to how I write and in my opinion it is useful advice. As for the story in general I would use what you know, and imo reactions are something that doesn't need any sort of realism unless it is intrinsic to the plot. Then it deserves lip service if the plot needs it. Sure reactions are important but just find what you are trying to say and imo that can overshadow any advice that you need to know about teens. There has to be a field of study on teens so I would search for that. Just think of the overall picture of the story, and make a good decision. Should I use reactions or can I focus on other subjects of stories and the development of it?

11. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

You would be surprised how stupid teenagers can be for ego. Imagine what they would do for life.

12. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I would suggest that your characters could feel any emotion if you wrote it well and made it consistent with their personality. You can choose how to portray them entirely. That's the gift of writing :)

13. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Maybe that's the hook. Some fight each other, some rebel, and some roll up into a fetal position.

Look, I see people wuss all of the time, even before the first punch is thrown. If real people do this in real life, then perhaps the story should reflect that.

Hey, maybe give the kids a few beers. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions.

14. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Thanks everyone! They are off the plane now... so i'm okay now :)

15. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

I can imagine that perhaps some teenagers would fight back. The younger people sometimes fail to think of the consequences. They charge in rather than think one step ahead and consider what would happen should they mess up. I certainly recall being like that as a teenager.

16. Jenny Masters

Jenny Masters New Member

Are you writing Hunger Games 2?

17. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

This does sound a lot like the Hunger Games. Most of the differences you've given are superficial, at best. Not that there's anything strictly wrong with basing your work off of someone else's book - provided you don't do anything illegal - but as soon as your book goes to publish I guarantee most of the reviews will be along the lines of 'haven't I read this before somewhere?' Just something to think about.

As for my reaction, I'd instantly begin to plot the intricate demise of all involved, starting with the guy with the gun, and then anyone else on the ships. I think I'd try to put my plans in motion, although since I can't really put myself in the shoes of a tournament contestant, I can't sure for sure whether I would, or just end up a jibbering wreck in the corner :)

18. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

That is identical to Hunger Games. If I were you, read the books and make sure you make yours VERY different because, like it or not, Hunger Games is famous, your book is not, which means everyone's automatically gonna compare your work and yes, think you're a shameless copycat who have no original ideas of his own. Whether it's true doesn't matter, it's what everyone's gonna think.

Mind you, given you're just starting out and you're only 14, you'll likely get this published a good 10 years later at the earliest, by which time, the identical premise might not matter as much. But right now, when Hunger Games is all the hype, a definite no-go IMO.

Your specific details don't matter - your idea is what matters and your idea is not different at all from the Hunger Games. Write it by all means but please don't be deluded into thinking yours is "very different".

Given that you state the "letting rich people bet on who'd die and who wouldn't" as an apparent difference - might I remind you of the "sponsors" from Hunger Games? What do you think the sponsors do, except bet on who'd win, hence spending money on helping the one they've bet their money on to win, to ensure a financial return? And did you think the kids within Hunger Games could escape? (not to mention the national TV idea - yours is broadcasted to islands, but the key here is: public broadcasting of human massacre as a gambling game)

Lastly, if no one's escaping - then what's your story? I would not like to read about how a dozen teenagers slowly die away... o_O