Tell Me About Your Favorite Stephen King Books

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ciara jaramillo, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Yeah, I was aware of it, but it was fun. Guilty as charged. Film is meant to be discussed somewhere else.

I've seen Der blaue Engel and Shanghai Express, both memorable films. And I used to be quite into Fritz Lang, who has been accused of even inspiring Hitler and other fascists with his Mabuse. Leni Riefenstahl even worked for the guys, still a terrific director.
    I have no idea if the guy had a political agenda, I reckon it's impossible to do any art criticism without exposing yourself and your beliefs at the end, one way or another.

I might give Freud another go. Right now I'm on a different vibe.
    And now back to topic...

I'm not sure about the other books, but Doctor Sleep wasn't that memorable. When the group of nomadic predators pop up, I began to struggle with my suspension of disbelief. Taking us back to the Overlook deserved a more plausible (or more original, far fetched) reason.
    I look forward to Salem's Lot, has been on my list since years, also Christine.
    The book I could never like was Carrie. I've read more interesting first novels from unpublished, amateur writers. If I remember well it was Carrie's film what sold the book, not the book itself.
    I remember reading Misery and wondering if publishing your books is really a good idea.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Well, you gotta be careful with Freud. Yeah, he was definitely an authoritarian sunofabitch and most of his mistaken notions apparently were reactions against the Victorian repressive atmosphere of Vienna at the time, or internalizations of it.

A lot of artists, including writers and filmmakers, got caught up in the propaganda machine like Leni Riefenstal (sp?). I don't know what her politics were, but it was either make propaganda films or become a political prisoner. I suppose many choose physical freedom with a heavy dose of political/ideological imprisonment.

Hah—yeah, Misery. Just when you thought it was safe to watch James Caan movies, and that Kathi Bates was a decent human being...

3. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Not so much a novel but I absolutely love The Man in the Black Suit. To me it's such a simplistic story that evokes pure horror. It's a story I always think about in terms of the atmosphere and the images that King evokes.

4. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

I saw this a few years ago, which I thought was very cool.

See attachment.

Attached Files: