Tell me about your religion!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alice in Wonderland, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

I don't and never really did. When I was young I was brought up in a Christian (Church of England) household, but I saw this religion the same way I saw Father Christmas (aka Santa Clause) in that I registered from a logical plane of thought and then became suspicious of it all as actually nothing but a theater of absurd human behaviour at play. Nowadays I protest at the way the religious elite have bastardised what was supposed to be Jesus' Church in that in our modern day people who assume they're practicing what Jesus had intended is practically almost a lie.

My thoughts on that is that it was done for the purpose of gaining power...NOT to keep the flame of Jesus' teachings alive. If that be the case we wouldn't see atrocities made in his name i.e. Iraq as authored by G.W. Bush and T. Bonehead Blair.

Some facts on it: Jesus didn't claim divinity. He said we would all reach this in the afterlife if we live according to his church.
    He never claimed to be the sole son of god. He said that we all were (including daughters).

In fact, I'm so disgusted by this that I found I learned more about human morality and the human condition from Satanism (not to be confused by murderous occults who kill in the name of a diabolical supernatural boogieman. Notice any similarities?!!!). What I mean to say is that mainstream religion is so suspect that no one who professes to be "good" would ever form a "church of satan" for the purpose of propaganda through misinformation to gain power over people.

I never officially joined or "believed" in such a thing. I simply read into it to find out an alternative way of gaining information through mythology of the "darker" or more diabolical side of human nature that I thought couldn't be found in typical ways of religion. Anton LeVey (the apparent "founder" of the church of satan) did actually do a good job of writing about this at first from a mythological point of view, but even he still went off on a typical "fire & brimstone" silly raving speech standpoint.

I've gotten all I could possibly gain out of religion. Nowadays I stick to raising my sense of thought through many different philosophies as well as keeping a firm grip on reality with science.

And that's my autobiography coming to an end there! :D

2. Frost

Frost Active Member

Indeed, there is a chance that there is no such thing as Gods or whatever. At the same time there is a chance. Its all a matter of faith.

I personally believe in God for a few reasons: The way the world turned out. Dang, aren't we lucky. I just think that perhaps there is a chance that higher powers did in fact help that along. Also, I believe in God because where else would all our emotions come from? THe huge majority of the animal kingdom rely on instinct alone, and there are only a precious few species who have the emotional capabilities that we have. That inspires me to believe that a God must exist for that. But yeah. I still question myself alot, and Ill be the first to admit that my faith is by no means a set in stone faith; I am open for questioning. I want to know(as best I can) whats right and what isnt. Thats all.

3. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

well, i believe that i control my fate completely, though i do believe there is a god, though my beliefs r to no religion wutsoever, i am agnostic, so i have no attachments to anything
    all i know is that i am monotheist and not polytheist (in other words, i believe in only one god, not many)

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I am not sure why God exists Night Haunter. I guess in a way if I were to believe in God, it would be to give myself a sense of security and to feel that when my day comes I will go to the heavens instead of hell.

Not too sure, but I guess it would be nice in a way to believe in something that could bring so much joy into ones heart.

5. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I was never brought up in a religeon. My mum and dad decided that we could choose ourselves. I don't think my mum believes in the specific god because the bible has been re-written so many times over. For example, my mum has her late fathers bible. She could never turn to the same page as any other becuase it would be a different verse. So I sort of agree that it's hard to believ in one God because when his bible has been changed so much, how can it be easy to believe something?

But I'm pretty happy to sit back, try to be a good person and a helpful person and in the end we all find out.

But please don't dismiss other's beliefs because it's not what you believe. Sure, someone is a christian but your a wiccan or vice-versa, don't dismiss their beliefs as something like a trivial thing that that person made up so that they feel loved. There are many reasons, personal and private reasons, why people choose their religeons and to simply and basically laugh at them is making a mockery of your own religeon. I think all religeons have a point and people should believe in what they want to believ without being belittled because of it!

Phew! That's my ranty rant point of view!

6. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

All this debating all these different views all these different ways and arguments on Religion and God.

And most of you have no answer for my simple question.

Why do you personally beleive in God?

if you cannot answer then why debate and argue simple question simple answer yet most of you are ignoreing my question.:(

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Which God do you speak of then?

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It doesn't matter what God he speaks of. What he is asking is why do you believe the religion you believe in? Why do you believe that God exists at all?
    Why do you believe in god?

As I stated I don't believe, but if I did believe it would be because I was searching for answers that I could only find in God, because I want to go to heaven and not hell, because I would believe that God's ways were the right way and yeah as per my previous post also.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Why do I believ in the higher being sitting back and laughing at us? Because of hope and Because I don't like the thought of just.... stopping.

I don't want to not be able to think. To me it not fathomable.

Yes, I can see from others pov, but to me. It gives me hope.

10. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

No one has belittled anyone else for their religion. What's being discussed is the illogical probability of an old, bearded geezer sitting in the clouds looking down on everyone and reading everyone's thoughts.

11. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Why can't we all just believe that all of the religions have formed something like the Super Friends?

Fighting crime in day or night
    Summoned by prayers seen by their omniscient sight
    Putting bad guys in their place
    Judo chop right in the face... la la la

12. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Probably because religions have also formed bad people doing bad things who they themselves assume that what they do are good things and the rest of the peaceful, law-abiding people who are peaceful in their religion are bad people and must be destroyed because they're infidels etc.
    All very much silliness.
    We know people exist. But people want to kill other existing people for the sake of a supernatural being who, in all higher probability, doesn't exist.

It's all faith, baby!

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Many times, the religion, or some distortion thereof, is a rationale to commit violent acts. The flaw is not inherent to the religion(s), it is in those individuals spilling over with hate.

Many years ago, I was in the uncomfortable position of working with a racist idiot who justified his ravings against blacks with (often misquoted) bible passages. He claimed to be a Southern Baptist, but basically he was merely a tiny, shriveled knot of venom.

14. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

The question ios not which God i speak of. Everyone here has different arguements.

My Question is WHY DO YOU BELEIVE IN GOD? as in the God you beleive in. Be it kathalic christian arabic egyption budisum.

WHY DO YOU BELEIVE IN GOD?

15. adamant

I believe in the god of the spell check. Yeah. :p

16. Cogito

Aye don't be leave of the gaud of spill Czeck.

Were you sniping at Believe or Buddhism?

I'd be careful. I'm more anal retentive about spelling in the Review Room, and even there it's often better to let it slide. Pointing out spelling errors in a debate thread is more likely to be viewed as a lack of more substantive arguments.

17. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I believe in my 'God/ Goddess, Power that Be' because it gives me hope that there is something better out there that will free me of worrying about when the world would end because most of us mere little bug like humans are stupid enough to play with Nuclear weapons.

So that's my answer: HOPE!

18. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

But that's in the realms of politics.
    Religion is about learning teachings based on doctrine. In other words, why bother with religion because it's merely distracting you from the horrors of the world? Many say having love and faith in a higher power shouldn't be for a reason other than to do god's work with unselfish deeds in his name etc...

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

No, it wasn't what I was saying. I was saying that as an example. I don't personally like the thought of our world when My children inherit it. I hate the thought of them growing up in an enviroment that's horrible.

I like having hope. I like to belive in something.

20. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Did he accuse your criticism of him by you being "brainwashed by the jewish-led media"?
    That's usually the typical excuse of a lot of white nationalists who claim that they are not anti-black/ethnic but that they are pro-white (whilst at the same time creating a lot of pejorative ravings at how ethnic people are being treated with more rights than white people etc whilst shooting down any further criticism of them with a lot of psycho-babbling semantics). :rolleyes:

21. PAwriterwannabe

PAwriterwannabe New Member

I also wish I had religion. I was raised in the United Church of Christ but that never worked for me. While part of me completely hates the concept of organized religion I still feel that there is something that needs to be embraced. I just don't know what yet.

22. Cogito

He (racist I had to work with) simply called me "ignert". Love the irony.

23. adamant

Alright, first of all, I had already answered his question - I was actually first to address it. So yeah, that doesn't really apply.

Second, it's spelled 'gawd', though I do like the fact that you used 'Czech'. Or should I say, you were leaning towards it.

Third, three is a magic number.

24. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, this is getting a little heated. Please, calm down.

25. Cogito

adamant:

1 - My use of sniping was not meant harshly. I should have worded it differently.

2 - I did actually mean 'gaud', which is a legitimate word (hmmm, a potential future Word of the Day?)

3 - I like triads too :)