Tell us about your Dreams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ItzAmber, Oct 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Ok, hold on to your butts....

In it, my brother, sister, and i were on an airplane. Sister was in the seat infront of me. Idk where brother was.
    The plane started to hit bad turbulence and it woke us up. Sister and i looked at each other in confusion but the turbulence got really bad. Brother comes running down the aisle saying "oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!" And tosses vests and an air mask and me and sister and runs back down the aisle, presumably to find one for himself. Sister and i are scare so she comes back with me and we're hugging each other and crying and i tell her to just close her eyes.
    The plane makes an emergency landing at this airport and we get off. A few minutes later, its announced that the plane is fine and everyone can get back on.
    We get back on the plane. Halfway down the tarmac, the back of the plane flies off and brother and sister fly out too.
    Then i "wake up" and im in a field with my mom, mugen and jyn (my dogs). The dogs are sniffing around and me and mom are looking up at the sky.
    A helicopter flies over us and lands somewhere over the trees and me and my mom start running toward it and im screaming for my brother and sister then i wake up for real

im out in the woods behind my house and thes campers are camping under this massive nest. I tell them to get lost. The nest looks cool and all, and im facinates by how they made this giant birds nest on the TREES (plural) above them. Anyways, they go away. For some reason, in this dream, my sister is a toddler and im the same age i am now. Well, the campers suddenly leave and i decide to look in the nest. All the campers are the nest in various pieces. To i run back home but no on believes me. Insert toddler sister. She says that there is a birdman outside. I told her not to go to the birdman. He eats people. So.i sleep in her room all night in her bed, with her between me and the wall to protect her from the birdman. And everytime i fall asleep, i hear something moving in the room and i have to wake up really quick before the birdman comes in and takes her. I woke up for real in a cold sweat and terror.

Called my mom, upset about the first one. She asks "what did you eat or watch before you went to sleep?" I said "pizza and Squid Games"
    Lol, no correlation.

Didnt even tell her about the second dream.

2. J.T. Woody

I think i had one like that.
    I was aware i was in a dream, because grandpa was there (this was when he was in his final stages of dementia and was nonverbal and bedridden with the mental capacity of an infant). In my dream, my grandpa was "normal". He was in his room and i came up the stairs like i normally did. When i visit in real life, right before i leave, i always go in and give him a hug and a kiss. So in the dream, he meets me in the hallway and smiles at me. He says "now, what are you doing here?" And i said "just saying goodbye" and he came over and hugged me and i gave him a kiss. Then i woke up.
    A week later, my grandpa passed away in his sleep.

Xoic likes this.
  3. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Is it possible that dreams could tell the future? I did have some weird dreams that I thought that predict the future. Like what I'll eat for lunch, etc..

4. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Are dreams just a sign from the future? o_O

5. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Sounds more like a dream influencing your decision making. When confronted with a big decision, the common advice is to sleep on it and make the decision the next day. Your unconscious mind is processing relevant thoughts and experiences all without you knowing it.

tangentially related: it’s also why certain salesmen employ a hard-sell tactic to get you to make a decision right now. It’s almost always on an overpriced, unnecessary product or service. They know if they give your brain a moment to process, either consciously or unconsciously, they’ll lose the sale.

I firmly believe our unconscious brain is capable of wonderful insights if given enough time to process. That’s why walks without a phone and driving without music and good nights sleep can be so wonderful. But the brain can be pretty bad at knee-jerk decision making as well, something g to be aware of.

ItzAmber likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

If you can wake yourself from bad dreams that means you've learned to recognize the dream state when you're in it. This is exactly how lot of people begin to become lucid.

ItzAmber likes this.
  7. Xoic

OK, I'll try to reconstruct that dream. It started with a false awakening, where you dream that you're waking up in your own bedroom, though often things don't look quite right if you pay attention. But my closet door was standing open and there were 3 shifty-looking guys crouching on the floor in the doorway, like they were creeping out with ill intents. And for some reason they were frozen. I mean not cold, just their movement was frozen. I walked around them and wondered what the hell they were doing, and I was angry at their invasion of my private space, so I decided to punish them.

I grabbed the top of the head of the one who seemed to be the leader and I squeezed real hard. I think he had a shaved head. His flesh yielded like bologna or something, my fingers made huge indents in his head and it felt like I even sort of smashed his skull inward a little. I felt bad about that, I thought he was going to be severely damaged when he was able to move again, maybe even brain damage, but it was his punishment. I don't remember if I did anything to the other 2.

This was the beginning of the bad dream element. First just these guys sneaking into my room for some shitty reason, and then my hurting him like that. The bad feeling remained through the rest of the dream.

I was lucid pretty much from the beginning, and I was trying to respond to a prompt on the Dreamviews site to pick a flower and hand to the first person you see. But I was stuck in an endless interior (which happens in a lot of my dreams, like that stuff @Seven Crowns was talking about). Somehow the corridors in my house turned into long broad hallways like in some kind of school building or convention center or something. Sort of like the last dream I posted above in fact.

I was flying along these corridors bursting through the big double-doors every thirty feet or so and only emerging into more hallway with another set of double doors up ahead. Hah, I just realized how similar it is to that earlier dream in fact. They might have been from the same time period, dream themes have a way of grouping like that.

Finally instead of more corridor I emerged into a big empty room with a huge wooden desk at the center (hmm...) where two bureaucrats in suits sat discussing something. Authority figures again. I flew right over them and on through out the next set of double doors. I don't remember if I tried going right through walls or not, I probably did. But never saw a glimpse of the outside world until right near the end of the dram, when I finally found an exterior door that let me out onto a little strip of land with ocean past it. Right beside the door were a couple of plants and a few flowers growing from them. I picked one and looked around but never saw another person. But I did see what looked like the edge of a submerged spaceship sticking up out of the ground.

I think trying to force a particular thing to happen in a dream (like picking a flower) can go against what the dream is trying to accomplish or something, and set up a negative chain of events. But so can hurting people in a dream, even a bunch of jerks breaking into your bedroom.

ItzAmber likes this.
  8. Xoic

Some people believe that. People have all kinds of beliefs about dreams. Personally I take a psychological approach to them, some people take a more behavioralist or physicalist approach (not sure that's the right term)—that it's just the random firing of neurons while you sleep and means nothing. But some people have all manner of mystical beliefs about them.

ItzAmber likes this.
  9. J.T. Woody

I enjoy your psych approach.
    Psychoanalyse my dreams!

(Please)

:)

ItzAmber and Xoic like this.
  10. Xoic

Lol basically I'll just keep telling you everybody in your dreams probably represents some aspect of yourself, so try really hard to see it that way before you assume your friend (in your dream) really represents your friend (in waking life). Though sometimes it does go that way, but you really want to try to exhaust the other way first.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  11. Xoic

I really don't want to keep doing this, for a number of reasons. Chief among them that I don't want a bunch of people constantly asking me to analyse their dreams. :bigeek:

But just a quickie.

Airplane dream
    It sounds like you became aware that you really can't protect the little siblings from the dangers of life, as much as you wish you could, and maybe also that it means you're in the same boat (or plane) too, that nobody can really protect you from life either. We can provide comforting and occasionally some real protection, but essentially we're all in it alone in a certain sense. You can't bear another person's burden, nor can you safeguard them from everything they're going to face.

And maybe you had seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2, where the back end of the ship comes off and people get blown out. It's called Day Residue, dreams are often made up of things we've seen or heard or thought of recently. But it gets woven in so it becomes symbolic.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  12. Xoic

Birdman Dream
    The campers made the nest?
    Is there a missing word in there? In maybe? They're in the nest in pieces?
    Except toddler sister?

It sounds like the same message from the other dream intensified. This is very common, often there will be a cycle of dreams essentially saying the same thing in different ways.

Jung maintained that a dream is a correction of some wrong waking attitude. Maybe you really want to believe you can protect the children? But then also keep the prime directive in mind as well, the children might represent some part of yourself.

Actually, dream symbols can represent multiple things all at the same time, even if some of those things seem to contradict each other. Logic and reason as we know it in waking life don't apply in dreams. But that would make sense, because the realization that you can't protect her as thoroughly as you want to also means that none of us can really be protected completely—that there will always be things we can't foresee or that nobody can do anything about. And you can't stop her from being afraid, which might be the main point of the dream. But that also means nobody can stop you from being afraid, because it's a universal truth that applies to everyone.

EDIT—This just occurred to me. If the campers made the nest (?) and the birdman tore them all up, maybe little sister's problems are social? Just a wild guess, and I might misunderstand that the campers made the nest. Or was it a Freudian slip on your part, making it more clear through a mistake? :superthink:

13. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Aw man, no dream today. :(

14. Xoic

@J.T. Woody I just also realized, you even said the campers were the nest (I think you meant they were in the nest) in pieces. That sounds even more like society. People are society, and it can definitely tear individuals up. And these Freudian slips are often very revealing. We accidentally say the more true thing.

But I can also add a bit of sugar to make the medicine go down. I'm an existentialist, I believe with life comes danger and there's nothing we can do about that. As long as we're alive we're always at risk. You can try to live in safety, but the closer you get to absolute safety the more life becomes like a prison. I opt for freedom with danger.

But even though you can't totally remove danger or fear from their lives, their going through these scares, especially with your comforting and guidance, makes them grow stronger and tougher, and soon they won't be so afraid anymore. (This is the sugar part, the other paragraph was all medicine.)

15. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Hmmm, maybe I just wanted dreams to tell the future. Maybe it's not true. I knew there was something weird with that tiny cats turning into meat dream. Maybe it did looked like what I ate for lunch..

Xoic likes this.
  16. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Question: What is one of your worst nightmare/s?

17. sarkalark

sarkalark Member

I hardly ever have dreams, let alone nightmares, or hardly ever remember having them, and when I do remember it is because that was a time I really needed to physically and mentally recover through sleep. I am thinking dreams are the way of keeping my mind occupied so that I remain asleep and my body can heal. I can feel the blood swelling and pulsing in areas where I am injured when I am falling asleep. And when I am dreaming I always know it is a dream, because I was just asleep, how could I have ended up somewhere else? :D I am unsure if this is what is called lucid dreaming. Just because I know it is a dream doesn't mean it isn't scary. Scary isn't the right word really - worrying, perhaps would describe the overarching feeling in all of my dreams.

Last night I had the most vivid dream and I was thinking of writing it down into a story. But it doesn't make sense as a story. I could easily alter the details to get a short story out of it. Problem is now I have forgotten most of it. The main point was that I was a kind of private investigator in India (apparently there aren't many official detectives in India) trapped in a train station in a city under quarantine / locked down for virus. There has been a bloody terrorist attack by a certain religious group from Egypt last week, which I had witnessed someone literally severed in half, and now I am at the scene of a second with the rest of the police and my associate investigator. There is major unrest as no one is allowed to leave the building and everyone knows there is a bomb remaining here. The police are keeping the rioting crowd in check and a bearded cleric of this religion has just been beaten to death trying to break up a fight.

Meanwhile I am watching a news conference from the current president of the U.S., because this is major international news that there has been a bombing, (Let's go Brandon!) who has just made some flub. I walk away from the screen to the others and say, "Did he just insult his VP?" My associate says, "Most likely. They've found something." Then she leaves.

Then the scene changes and I return with her to the scene of the attack. The rest of the train station has been searched and is sealed and four suitcases, each containing a remote transmitter triggering an explosive device, have been found. The bomb squad investigative wiz has discerned, with outside help from the Indian government and American government, but has discovered this part on his own, that one of the receivers for the bomb is located along a major fault line - essentially, deep underground, where it should not be, where no one has gone, and could only have been drilled deep underground through a major corporate effort sanctioned by the government. The only conclusion is that this nuclear weapon has been deliberately placed there to trigger an earthquake and landslide. I ask, "What happens when that bomb goes off?" And the wiz guy says, "It triggers a magnitude 14.9 earthquake... " My eyes gloss over and as the resultant global tsunami impacting every coastline and major cities along them, the estimate is, "... 1.4 billion people die."

We have determined there is nothing that can be done to stop the Indian bomb from detonating. We have also come to an agreement that the Indian investigators, stonewalling us and shutting down the investigative activity, are in on the plot and we don't tell them what the tech wiz has found. Now this is where it gets really nonsensical as I am somehow aware of a teleportation device, based on principles of quantum entanglement, which allows a person to go anywhere that person has previously been, and to presently experience everything happening there, but be unable to interact with anything or anyone there, except telepathically. I am certain this part of the dream was my direct response to this part of a blog post I'd read earlier in the day: "Putting all this nonsense aside, let’s continue on our study. Obviously the 2012 Deagel report used Remote Viewing activity and... " Well, obviously...

Since I am apparently the only one to have access to this machine in the basement of the train station, I activate it in order to warn someone (of this plot to trigger four massive earthquakes around the world using nuclear devices) who isn't in the American government or in the Indian government, and arrive at a cramped laboratory kitchen of some university research building looking for a Dr. Jackson, who is some kind of expert on earthquakes, coincidentally, has just gone missing or suicided and the kitchen is swarmed with reporters. I exit to a side room and somehow make telepathic contact with a grad student, who is suddenly compelled to write a non-university email address on a pink post it note: wylieamy @ ... onion ... and her hand trails off as she's been discovered by a sleeper telepath in the lab who bursts into the room, shutting off the quantum entanglement device, and that is when I wake up. It's been four hours since I went to sleep.

I think it would work as a suspense, science fiction short story but most of the details need to be changed.

18. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

That was quite a read! I think you should make it into a story--if it is okay.

19. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

One of my worst nightmares was pretty weird. I opened my eyes and found myself in a small rectangular cage. I was at the closed end, and the open end had tattered opaque plastic covering it, like a ragged curtain. It was night time, and something on the other side of the plastic was making low growling noises. I was petrified because there was nowhere I could go, so I sat there watching the other end, knowing that whatever was on the other side was drawing nearer and nearer: it was clearly stalking me! It seemed to take forever for the thing to do what it was going to do when all of a sudden it snarled loudly and burst through the plastic. What I recall after was a nanosecond of a large solid black form leaping at me, and then awaking to a horrendous panic attack.

The worst part of that dream was the feeling of being trapped and utterly hopeless.

I'm a vivid dreamer, so I can remember most of my dreams pretty well.

20. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Do you have a fear or being uncomfortable in small spaces?

21. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I’ve always had manic episodes and manic thoughts due to anxiety and panic. I have several phobias that make it hard for me to just enjoy life so I think some of my manic tension or mind frame enters my dreams and I feel an intense fear that is usually hard to explain.

for example, in a recent dream, my mom was singing to me and in my dream I knew that it represented the truest, purest love. But she slowly started singing about cancer and detailing the physical sickness and pain one endures. It gave me a certain manic fear I can only feel in dreams.

also recently, I dreamed that a girl was watching someone die and I was in the room with her. It was supposed to be a sad, touching moment but I started feeling scared or afraid for some reason. I knew that there was nothing happening that should invoke such intense fear which made me even more afraid. It was simply a sad, touching moment. And what made it worse was that the more scared I was, the girl started becoming afraid too. It was like we were feeding off each other’s energy. Really disturbing..

Madman and ThunderAngel like this.
  22. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I'm not claustrophobic or anything like that. :) It's possible the nightmare meant something, but I haven't discovered what it was. It was one of the worst experiences I ever had in a dream, though: I still get chills thinking about it.

23. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I used to dream about screaming at my mother. Then that shifted to me screaming at my wife. Now I dream about screaming at my management team.

Yep, nothing fucked up that needs unpacking there.

Shayne and ThunderAngel like this.
  24. Luis Thompson

Luis Thompson Banned

I dream of a world where there will be no poverty, hunger and war.

ItzAmber, Shayne and ThunderAngel like this.
  25. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

My dreams are often bloodbaths. I've been axed, shot, stabbed, sliced, knocked out and then some, had my testicles impaled, had my legs cut off, had my head cut off, and I've exploded. Now it sounds like I am a real victim in my dreams, but I am not. I often do all of the previously mentioned to other characters in my dreams too, so no innocence here. If I'm not dying or killing I'm having lovely sex, so there's that I guess.

Can't complain, at least I wake up feeling like I've survived the night, eager to seize the day.

I do have normal dreams as well...

Xoic and RMBROWN like this.