Ten Minute Writing Exercise

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Titania

Titania New Member

They say this is the end of the beginning. We were the first class. We took something of each part of our city, took it together, formed it into a creation of spirit and love. Now the Lego pieces scatter, across the country, across the world.

I'll miss you, the hugs in F hall, the arms around my waist sometimes a bit too close, the jokes - were they jokes? - about enjoying being single. You were warm. A brother, and a friend, and a romance, all wrapped in ambiguity. The protection I received granted comfort: your hands gently pulling me away from him, your eyes with an anger I thought they could not possess, and all for my sake.

Did I give you what you wanted? You guarded me like a sister; you caressed me like a lover. I am not gifted to understand the thoughts beneath your tousled hair. I don't know where life is leading you. I don't know if I will ever see you again.

Do you think of me? Or have you already found another to hold?

Scott, I can completely understand the rant! I do that too... in a weird way... this exercise is, more than anything else, an interesting look into what's on my mind, and more often than not is a reflection on whatever is going on in my life socially. I don't know why that always happens. I haven't written very long ones lately either. Weird.
    Interesting posts, everyone. And welcome to the Forums, Adelaide!

2. das_rebell

das_rebell New Member

The broken glass was biting into her skin, she would have shifted to try to stop it, but it was everywhere. Like a sea of shattered dreams, and heartache. She attempted to push herself straight up, but her hands just found more glass. The blood bloomed around her palms and over the glass, dropping onto the linolium floor.
    The chaos around her was astounding. The room was dead quiet, but the marks of what had happened made it chaotic. The chairs were overturned, stuffing ripped out of them. The window above her shattered, the curtins blowing inward from the wind. The tv was smashed, clumps of tangled wire from it sat in front of the entertainment center. Blue, red, yellow, green. Color coded, and sorted in the beginning but now all thrown together in chaos. She thought that was a good metaphor for life. Everyone may look different, but in times of trouble they all work together. She would have totally believed it had she not be completely alone. She bit her lip, and pushed herself off of the floor. Her head hurt as she stood. She wished that she could forget what had happened. He hadn't hurt her, what had hurt her was the glass shattering as he threw her toaster back into the window at her. He had missed her, but it did hit the wall, and now there was a hole. He never did have good aim. Her CD's were okay, that was all she cared about. The wooden coffee table was in fragments, her couch ripped apart. She picked up what remained of a cushion and looked at it for a minute, she dropped it to the ground, and sat on what remained of her armchair. She picked up a broken ballerina statue. Her father had given it to her at her graduation, now it was missing an arm and a leg. A small casualty of the hurricane of destruction he had left behind. Her phone was ringing. She picked it up and looked at the number.
    It was him.
    "Hello?"
    "Hey Tara, what's up baby?"
    "Why are you calling me?"
    "Look baby, I'm sorry for what I did last night."
    "Jimmy, you recked my apartment. My living room looks like it was raided for drugs, and then torn apart in a jealous rage."
    "I'm sorry baby, I just thought-"
    "I know what you thought you thought I was sleeping with him."
    "Tara can I please just come back, I'll make it up to you baby."
    "No Jimmy you can't come back. Please don't ever come back."
    She hung up.
    Whoever said southern boys were the best clearly had never dated Jimmy Pilgrim.

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Death Cap

“Daddy! Is this one good?”

“Hang on Elsie, I’ll be right there. Don’t touch it!”

The young father quickly arrived at his daughter’s side to examine her mushroom.

“Oh Elsie, that looks good! You can pick that one.”

The child slid a small spatula-like knife under the base of the mushroom and added it to her wicker basket.

After a morning of wild mushroom hunting, in the wilderness of Northwest California, the family of four returned to their cabin to count their good fortune. The each dumped several dozen mushrooms into a single pile at the center of the table.

“Good job, kids! Now, go wash up while mom and I select some for dinner.”

As soon as the children were out of earshot, their mother began her familiar complaints.

“Jacob, this is a waste of time. You know it. I’m not going to change my mind...I want the divorce, and that’s final!”

“I know Cara. I was just hoping that this place might give you a reason to reconsider. When we spent our honeymoon here, you said this place was magical.”

The children ran back into the kitchen, hands still dripping from their marginal effort at washing.

“Who got the most, daddy?” Elsie always competed to be the best while her little brother didn’t seem to realize they were in a competition.

“It doesn’t matter.” Cara ignored her daughter’s question. “There is something your daddy and I need to tell you kids.”

“Cara, please...not now.” Jacob interrupted. “Let the kids enjoy this vacation. We can discuss this on the trip home.”

Jacob’s wife reluctantly agreed.

(end of first ten minutes...unedited)

4. NaCl

Death Cap....2nd 10 minutes

The rest of the family entered the living room while Jacob washed mushrooms and prepared salads before the main course.

“What kind of dressing do you guys want on your salads?” He called into the other room.

“I want Caesar, Daddy.” Elsie was first to answer....as always.

“Me too!” Her little brother chimed in, almost at the same time.

“Do we have any dried tomato and spices?” Cara asked.

“Yep.” Jacob answered. “You want it on your salad, or separate?”

“Separate please.”

Jacob, reached into his pocket and retrieved a small ziplock bag containing two white mushrooms. He cut them into several small pieces and added most of it to his wife’s salad, placing about half of one back into the community basket.

Late that night, Cara complained of stomach cramps. Soon thereafter, she experienced violent diarrhea and vomiting. Her husband dutifully held her long hair while she retched into the toilet bowl.

“Oh my God, I feel terrible.” Cara spoke between breaths.

“You’ll be okay in the morning, honey.” Jacob offered her false hope, knowing the symptoms from a death cap mushroom usually lifted after a few hours, while they continued to silently shut down major organs.

Just as predicted, Cara felt much better in the morning.

“I wonder what that was.” She pondered her sudden onset illness. “Maybe I got a bad mushroom.”

“I doubt it. I inspected every one the kids picked. Did you pick any that you weren’t sure about?”

“No....” Cara suddenly became suspicious. “Jacob, you wouldn’t do anything stupid would you?”

“Are you accusing me of what I think you are?” Her husband acted offended.

“I’m sorry, you may be a lousy husband, but

(End of second 10 minutes...no editing)

5. NaCl

Death Cap....3rd 10 minutes

“...you would never do anything to hurt the children. Maybe it was just a 24 hour flu.” She rationalized her illness.

During the next two days, the family played as if there was nothing wrong. Both parents attempting to make the last family event pleasant for the kids.

Cara began to grow tired and weak. Her skin showed the jaundice resulting from liver failure. Soon, she lay in bed shivering from cold that could not be fixed by covers. Jacob watched with a myriad of conflicts as his wife slipped into the end stages of death cap poisoning. When the children expressed worry about their sick mother, he assured them she would be okay after the flu passed.

“Jacob!” Cara called out weakly from her bedroom and he left the children sitting in front of the fire, promising to be right back.

“What Cara?”

“You did it! Didn’t you?” She struggled to push up on one elbow but fell back. “You son-of-a-bitch!”

Jacob leaned down close to her face.

“I told you Cara. You will never take my children from me!” He left the room, closing the door behind him.

The next morning, Cara was unresponsive, having slipped into a deep coma. Jacob acted upset and loaded his children and limp wife into the car for the long drive to the nearest hospital. After two hours, he pulled into the Emergency Room parking lot and ran into the ER, calling desperately for help.

“How long has she been like this?” The ER nurse began taking critical information.

“She had the flu yesterday and this morning, I couldn’t get hjer to wake up”

(timer went off, again...end of third ten minutes....will he get away with murder? Will she recover? If anyone is interested in the continuation of this story, I simply could not stop writing once I began but I have already broken the rules by adding two more 10-minute sessions so I won't go any further...unless???)

6. Titania

Titania New Member

NaCl, that's awesome that you could just keep going :) I'd say maybe just start a new thread in the Review Room for your story, now that it's gotten so long? But congrats on being able to keep writing.

7. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

It hadn't taken him long to understand the difference between the two of them. She was nice, sweet, generous, gorgeous, and so many other things he had always wants, but the other was adventurous, wild and cheerful, funny, and above all, sexy. Was it an easy choice for him? Never likely. Such simple thoughts have flown through every head of every male, and yet, to him it felt original and left him in solitude. Such depths of water surrounded such a choice, and yet nothing more could be decided by himself. Both girls knew of him, they knew things about him, and they both seemed to like him enough to push the note along. However, neither of them knew of what was in his heart. An organ that weighted no more then a few pounds, and yet caused so much troubles. Such a simple thing, yet so complex.

He looked passed the thought as he set his pencil down, leaving the final marking of his name. This note was original, short, and cliche. In front of him sat his best friend, ready and willing to pass the note along quickly as the teacher continued her agonizing lesson. One tap on the floor for the left. Two for the girl on the right.

He looked at the back of both of their heads. The left girl being the sweet burnette that had given him a light spirit. The one on the right that had given him the hard-on, and then made him laugh about it.

Was this mind over matter? Couldn't be. His science teacher had said something about that two periods before and it had left him completely and utterly confused. This wasn't as confusing. Left or right. That was it.

He placed the note in his friends hand that was anxiously bouncing around. He was running out of time. Time to decide.

He tapped his foot on the floor twice.

His friend quickly dropped the note on the floor and kicked it, quickly bouncing around the room to the right side until finally, it was under the desk of the wild one. She instantly was on the floor scrabling for her "pencil." As she read it, she started writing on the sheet of paper and kicked it back.

He dropped his pencil on the ground, hastily going for the note before the sheet of paper before his teacher finally tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up to see her, tapping her foot on the floor with her arms across her chest. Yeah, she was pissed.

He sat up and handed her the note, knowing she was there only for that. As the teacher got ready to read it allowed, she stalled and laughed. She handed it back with a smile and walked back to the board to continue her lesson.

He was in awe. He quickly looked at the sheet of paper, scanning past his own scribbles to hers.

"Sorry but no. Remember when you got that chubby? Yeah, I wasn't laughing with you, I was laughing AT you."

8. nailer123

nailer123 New Member

No more running, came the voice in Isaac's head.

He had been running for as long as he remembered, but it all stopped now. He had stopped and now turned around to face his destiny. Standing at the other end of the deserted street was the man that had caused him so much pain, so much anguish. He would avenge everybody that had fallen; Zane, Derek, Lydia.

Isaac's dark blue eyes locked with the icy cold stare of his pursuer. He reached down to the sword attatched to his belt and drew it, holding it ready in front of himself. "So you have finally found the courage to face me. Too bad that courage will be the cause of your death" laughed Azel.
    He began to float into the air, a green aura surrounding his body. The green energy raced to his right hand and formed into a blade. Isaac looked on, fear coursing through his veins. He ignored it, searching in his mind for that voice. The voice that had told him to stop and face these very fears. But it was not there this time. He would have to fight this final battle by himself.

Wow that was pretty fun, I love exercises like this.

9. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

This exercise should be stickied :D Good writing tool

10. Thekherham

Thekherham New Member

He looked at the horse, and wondered what had happened. There was nothing wrong with his legs, so any thought of lameness was out of the question. The jockey had told him he thought Belross had sufficient kick to pull ahead of the others and win easily, but he just didn't fire. "I don't know what happened, Mr. Donlyn," he had said. He had no explanation, really, and Donlyn hadn't really expected any.
    "Damn it," he said to himself, "seven in a row, and now this."
    They were washing him, washing the sweat off his body. Heat and humidity hung like a veil over the track, and absently Donlyn wiped sweat from his forehead. That could very well have been the problem; Belross did his best running when the weather was cooler. But he had to run today; it was a major race, and if he had won this, his stock would have risen dramatically.
    A reporter from the network thrust a mike at his face. "Do you have any idea what happened?"
    "I couldn't say," he said, trying to keep his composure. "He just didn't have it today."

(A little inspiration watching the Belmont earlier, and watching Big Brown lose big)

11. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It was dark. Incredibly dark.

I kept still, not daring to breathe, not daring to move a muscle. I closed my eyes and prayed that they wouldn't find me.

I began to sweat. This was too much for me; I shouldn't be doing this. I couldn't do this for much longer. Sooner or later, I'd be found out, and all would be over.

Suddenly, I heard a crash. They turned around and one of them followed the noise. The other slowly turned from where I was hiding and looked somewhere else.

After a few more minutes, they nodded to themselves and left, slamming the door behind them. I couldn't breathe a sigh of relief until they had been gone at least half an hour. When I was sure they wouldn't come back, I backed out of my hiding place and flopped down on the couch.

I knew that I still should be in hiding, but I couldn't stand another minute cooped up like that. My life as I knew it would end if they ever found out. I ran my fingers through my hair and heaved a huge sigh. Try as I might, there was no way I could weasel myself out of this. Sooner or later, they would find me, and all would be lost.

I headed to the kitchen to fix myself something to eat. I had a piece of bread with butter and sat down at the table. A few minutes into my meal, I heard a knock on the door. I froze, paralyzed with fear. I quickly threw my bread in the trash and crept up the stairs. But I wasn't fast enough. The door slammed open, and they saw me!

I decided that there was nothing I could do to save myself, but I had to do whatever I could. I snarled and leapt at one of them, but he dodged and grabbed me by the arm. He punched me in the face while the other kicked me.

"What have you been doing here? You should be at the camps with your family."

They took me to the trains, and sent me to the camps. But I lived, where others died. I lived to come back and take my revenge. They died, both of them.

12. Mousie

Mousie New Member

So there I was, sprawled over one of the pool chairs in my backyard, picking apart a paper towel with my dad's stable-remover-thingie. There was really no reason for it, I mean, it was a perfectly good paper towel and all. But, it was my fifth day without an internet connection, and I was running out of stuff to do.

It had to be, like, nine o'clock at night. The sun was down and there weren't any lights on inside. I hoped Mom hadn't forgotten I was out there and locked the patio door before she went to sleep - that'd suck.

So I'm, y'know, sitting there. Not really doing anything, just kinda hanging out. Then, out of nowhere, this thing just dropped outta the sky and crashed into my pool.

I jumped up, and I didn't know whether to run inside or check and see what it was. So, I just kinda stood there, hoping it wasn't, like, a bomb or something, 'cause that thing made a pretty big splash.

Nothing happened at first, then this thing pops up outta the water like f*cking Jaws. And Jesus Christ, was it ugly.

It was this big, skinny thing with these random patches of what looked like giant zits all over its body. It was black and scaley, with this one big, orange eye and these huge tusks. And it had these long, black things hanging off the sides of its head - ears or tentacles or something.

It stood up, and I swear to god this thing was eight feet tall. It looked around for a moment, then stooped down over me and made this weird gargly noise. How I didn't make a bowel movement right then and there, I will never know.

Ohgodohgodohgodohgod it's gonna eat me it's gonna f*cking EAT ME!

"Pumpkin!"

The thing jerked its head around. Did it just smile?

The shaking of branches, a tiny grunt. I turned to see none other than little Lottie Harrington climbing over the wall separating our backyards. She held onto the orange tree on her side of the wall, trying to ease herself down into my yard. I would've helped her if there wasn't a freaking monster standing in front of me.

What are you doing? Get outta here! I wanted to say. She was older than me, but I think she's autistic or something.

Before I could do anything, the monster-thing lunged at her. I tried to cry out, but the sound got stuck in my throat. Oh shxt, it's gonna eat her!

I realized then that the thing didn't have legs, but tentacles. It grabbed her and lifted her up, and she screamed. With her Hello Kitty nightgown and pigtails, the scene looked vaguelly like some stuff I see floating around 4chan every now and then.

Oh shxt, it's gonna---

Lottie exploded into a fit of giggles. The tentacle-monster tossed her up and caught her a couple times, then wrapped it's tentacles around her, causing the small girl to laugh hysterically. What the hell was going on?

((Argh! Outta time! Oh well, it's crap anyway. This was a fun exercise, though :D ))

13. T_LeeaF

T_LeeaF New Member

Whoever said that running away from your problems was a bad thing had obviously never been in Amber’s shoes tonight. Somewhere perilously close behind her, a thunderous roar sounded, crashing through the air. It wasn’t all show, either. She’d gotten a tiny glimpse of her pursuer just seconds before she’d hightailed it out of there, herself a tiny blond blur under the waxing moon. The colossus behind her had a body to match that battle cry and it was just dying to get the chance to prove it. Swallowing so hard it hurt, she clutched a small velvet pouch closer to her chest and urged her short legs even faster. She had absolutely no intentions of getting caught by a thing like that. No way; no how.

What she needed most desperately now was a good distraction. Did she have any of those? Maybe this was why most raiding parties worked in groups. You know. One person gets out of there all speedy-like with the goods and the rest get thrown under the carriage? Yeeeahhh... “lonewolf” just wasn’t cutting it at the moment. Who knew that the stupid village would actually have protection? Being a bad guy nowadays just wasn’t what it used to be. She’d have to bring that up to the council later. You know, if that thing over her shoulder didn’t make dinner out of her first.

Her pulse thudding in her ears, she raced through the trees, weaving this way and that. The only thing she had over that creature, was that she could change direction a lot faster. Rolling, tumbling, climbing; whatever she thought might buy her some time, she threw herself into at full tilt. Sure, she would be hurting in the morning, but if she was going to get out of this alive, she needed to - TREE!

Insert "KERSPLAT" here. :D
    This was fuuuun~

14. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

It seems as though you live in a far and distant land where all the fairies and angels have gone. You keep them there, but not in a leash, never in a leash. Your heart is too big for that. You might say you're insane, but I know better. How can I always see through you? It makes me feel like I've known you before I was even born.

You say you love me, and you say you fear seeing me. How can those two live in the same sentence? You have nothing to fear, because I will take you and keep you and never let anyone hurt you. I have the power to do that. Remember when you said that everyone should have someone like me, their own bubble of happiness, spreading, always further, leaving traces of subtle love everywhere.

Well, you are that someone to me. You, silly girl. You are my bubble, bursting all over me, making me giggle with happiness. It's the strange familiarity. Where did I really meet you? Who are you? Who am I when I'm with you? You challenge my mind. It's so easy to let you roam freely inside me. You can search every corner and every room. You can look through all the windows, into all the houses. I won't stop you. I'll never stop you. You can have me. Because you let me have you.

I don't fear seeing you. I yearn to see you. I cannot get enough of you. Your voice, it tickles. Your eyes, they burn. Everything about you makes me swim in a pool of total surrender. I cannot fear you. You have the right to tear me to pieces. Yet I know you would never do that. I know you. I trust you. You can have me.

15. TenderHeart

TenderHeart New Member

When you are trying to earn enough money to buy your first care, you do what you have to. I thought working for Bengi's pizza would be great. They then make me walk around the mall dressed as a clown passing out fliers.

Not only did I look ridiculous, but I had to lead around a spider monkey as I went around promoting the pizza place. Now I thought working with a monkey was going to be fun, but it was not.

He was a mean little monkey named Mr. Jingles. He would constantly play with himself which did more to drive away families than make them want a Benji pizza. He was also monkey pooh sharpshooter.

He had a knack for picking the wrong person to hit with his monkey droppings. I had the joy of running from a biker dude for twenty minutes. Do you know how hard it is to run in those big shoes. He also like to urinate in any plant he passed. That monkey was full of monkey pee.

I tried to control him, but he just screams his monkey scream at me and does what he wants. Dang!! He just pee'd in my shoe. I hate you, monkey.