Terrorism

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chicagoliz, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'd argue that it ended with the armistace of WW1, as did the empires of Germany and France, but that's another long discussion I don't have the energy for.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"You"? Should I list the incursions of last two hundred years of the colonial imperialist wave that originated from Europe? You do know, that the Vietnam war was all about the US coming in to protect France's financial interests ripping that country off for it's natural resources, right?

I've never supported any of that. I've protested US wars since high school. I do think Afghanistan is the sad result of both the US's and Russia's interventions. The resulting Taliban's oppression of women, however, I did support intervening to change that dynamic.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

So more and more sources are reporting the motive:

Source: WSJ

Can we move on now?

4. GingerCoffee

No, we actually armed the Northern Alliance/Mujahideen, that fought the Taliban.

Afghanistan
    The Taliban were an invading force from Pakistan that originate from both sides of the border.

The bottom line, it's been a mess for a century and the UK as well, has hardly been an angel of peace in the region.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Like I said in an earlier thread Ginger, who made the US the police of the world? Why don't they just leave these countries to their own devices? If it's just humanitarian aid, why not open the borders and let them leave the evil clutches of Sharia Law for the free world?

http://rupeenews.com/usa/the-taliban-was-a-construct-of-the-cia-and-was-armed-by-the-cia/

It is a matter of historical record that the “Taliban” were a construct of the CIA. Authors of history with an iota of intellectual honesty admit that fact. Those who have an agenda and want to demonize a population will leave out CIAs contributions to the world of West Asia.

The Taliban was a construct of the CIA and was armed by the CIA….Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher

It seemed like a great idea, back in the ’80s to– embolden– and train and equip– Taliban, mujahidin, jihadists against the Soviet Union, which had invaded Afghanistan. And with our help, and with the Pakistani support– this group– including, at that time, Bin Laden, defeated the Soviet Union. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Oct. 7th, 2009

Yup! They had a bug for dividing and conqueringing, owned at one point about 25% of the planet, nearly 500 million people. Now they just tag along with big brother America and hope to divvy up the spoils later.

I only said "you" because you said "we" ;) and I have no doubt the French were up to no good. The Europeans since big boats were built sailed around the world on massive land grabs, what's your point? That America is not alone? We know that. They are all greedy land grabbing, resource sapping, war mongers and always have been.

6. GingerCoffee

There's a whole lot of conspiracy stuff in that link, erebh, which is weird since there's so much real crap involved in this current unrest, there's little need to get all conspiracy crazy about it.

As for the CIA creating the Taliban, I'll look into it, but my current opinion is someone is stretching some facts to fit a preconceived narrative. There's no doubt we've supported Pakistan. And the Taliban, like I said, are a product of southern Pakistan. It continues to be problematic for the US today since we support Pakistan on the one hand, and we're fighting Pakistani Taliban on the other hand. If I find anything corroborating the "Taliban were CIA made" thing, I'll post it.

Who made the US the world's police force? The same thing that made the UK and the rest of Europe the world's colonialists, corporate money and interests. Don't blame me, I don't even own any stocks.

You really should tread lightly here blaming the US and sounding all better-than-thou about it. You are no less responsible than most of the people in the US are.

OK, here's what Wiki cites re the Taliban:
    I think this is consistent with what I've said, we supported Pakistan and the Taliban was one result of that. It's a bit different from claiming the CIA created the Taliban directly. Perhaps we are just interpreting "created" differently. 'Resulted in' and 'created' are two different processes in my view of this mess.

As for Bin Laden, it's common knowledge in the US that we funded him initially.

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Ok Ginger, go ahead dimiss everything you see on the net and swallow up everything the news channels serve you.

You do that

Ok we'll all hold our breath till you dredge the net

Read my queries as you please, but feel free to read back on earlier posts about my feelings for the US ;)

Ok dismiss an Indian news channel and lay all your eggs in a wiki basket that Skippy the Bush Kangaroo can contribute too, if he had fingers of course.

But seeing as the Indian Site is all conspiracy to you, how about reading the full interview on CBS News with Billary, possibly your next President
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5367884.html

8. GingerCoffee

To quote you, don't tell porkies.

Since that's not what I said, I believe this qualifies as a straw man. I said your claim, "The Taliban was a construct of the CIA", was a conspiracy theory.

I don't see 'CIA' in that interview. Just what am I supposed to look for?

I already agreed this was correct. Funding the Taliban (through Pakistan) is not the same as creating them.

9. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Do you even know what porkies are?

Ok, if it was a conspiracy theory it was started by one of your Republican congressmen

The Taliban was a construct of the CIA and was armed by the CIA….Rohrabacher During the House Committee on Foreign Affairs discussion recently. Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher named the Clinton administration, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia for creating the Taliban. “Let me repeat that: The Clinton administration, along with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, created the Taliban,” Rohrabacher Dana Rohrabacher is Congressman for 46th congressional district. The 46th district includes the whole of... full story here http://www.zimbio.com/Congressman+Dana+Rohrabacher/articles/6/Taliban+construct+CIA+armed+CIA+Rohrabacher

“In the 1980s, the CIA provided some $5 billion in military aid for Islamic fundamentalist rebels fighting the Soviet occupation in Afghanistan, but scaled down operations after Moscow pulled out in 1989. However, Selig Harrison of the DC-based Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars recently told a conference in London that the CIA created the Taliban “monster” by providing some $3 billion for the ultra-fundamentalist militia in their 1994-6 drive to power.” Times of India, March 7, 2001

Before you accuse Selig Harrison of living in a bunker check him out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selig_S._Harrison

Are you deliberately mixing up the quotes of democrats and republicans and then furthering your disbeliefs by deliberately mixing up the links attributed to both?

Ok, you know better than top brass of the White House

1 person likes this.
  10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Wow guys, huge thread, I obviously didn't read all of it. But it seemed like an appropriate place to bring this up:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/02/teen-faces-20-years-for-alleged-online-t

Terrorism sucks, but it seems to create this climate of fear and has been an excuse to diminish our rights.

Cliffs: A Boston-area high school student posted an excerpt of a rap online as a facebook status related the Boston bombing/terrorism. The police took it literally, arrested him, and charged him with "communicating a terrorist threat." He faces up to 20 years.

Here is part of what he actually posted.

“(Expletive) a boston bominb wait till u see the (expletive) I do, I’ma be famous rapping, and beat every murder charge that comes across me!”

It doesn't help his case how the media is taking what he said out of context and painting a misleading picture of him. One article even took the quote out of context, stopping the above quote after "famous," making it sound like he claims he'd be famous for terrorism not for rapping.

I just think it's a sad state when a high school student can face terrorism-related charges for posting a simple facebook status online.