Tags:
  1. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Senior Member

Thanks for admitting me without the white coat!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tristan's Opa, Dec 25, 2018.

Hi Folks,

I'm a retired refugee from Silicon Valley now living in VA on 5 acres where I can grow my own veggies. Moved here to be near my grandkids and enjoy life. I'm a classic rock guy but still like most other music. Have lived and worked all over the world. Learned to cook regional dishes everywhere and like crafted beer.

I believe everyone begins as a friend and I leave it up to them to prove otherwise. If they do, I'm up front enough to let them know. I'm basically open to talking, helping or ignoring anyone. ;)

I came here to learn, participate and perhaps finally get a Sci-fi book out that has bugged me for many years. So far I have met some really sharp and cool people. Looking for ward to meeting more and learning at the same time.

I have a good first hand knowledge of tech, a few languages, and real combat so if you are looking for anything like that shoot me a note.... or rather, 'hit me up'. That's current right?

Anyway, thanks again, looking forward to meeting and working with others here.

RW

2. Sean Riball

Sean Riball New Member

Hey :)

I'd say welcome to the forum, but I'm new as well. Nice to meet you! What kind of Sci-fi do you like? Trekkie, Shadowrun, LeGuin, Ted Chiang? I admit I have read very few real Sci-fi books and rather watched the corresponding movies...so I'm interesting in any recommendations...

Kind regards and good luck,
    Sean

3. Tristan's Opa

Hi Sean and welcome to you as well.... even if we are newbs. ;)

I'm old school and grew up on Heinlein, Bova, and Star Trek. You can't go wrong with Bova or Heinlein. Found Chiang tedious. Most new stuff is about wars or conflicts resulting in wars and annihilation which I feel is overdone and as a combat vet, not really interested in how we kill other beings. Hopefully, not prophetic of our race.

I also like period pieces like Eye of the Needle or Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Pillars being my favorite.

My current endeavor is a mix of period and sci-fi. Lost histories and mysteries make for a good base for Sci-fi i.e. Stargate, another fav of mine.

So again, welcome on behalf of another newb. Tell us what you're working on. What genre is your fave?

4. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Tristan's Opa likes this.
  5. Tristan's Opa

wow, you are too kind sir. Hope I can live up to that given it's my first run at it.

Thank you.

6. Tristan's Opa

Hey Sean, I'm in the midst of reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Pretty good and unique story. Check it out.