That Missing Plane

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chicagoliz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

The guy from that link, the pilot, sounds like a delusional paranoid twit. That kinda stuff is scaremongering, encouraging rash behavior/ideas, it's like mob mentality. If enough people believe idiots like him they'd just as soon blow the plane out of the sky as soon as it popped up.

jannert likes this.
  2. Woof

Woof Senior Member

What if what if what if. There are a lot of both safe and unsafe possibilities here. The only 'what if' I can't imagine a safe outcome from is if it reappears somewhere in flight. Anyone?

I can't conceive of how awful this must be for the families, I wouldn't negate that. But I can't help thinking that this is where 'what-iffing' can be at its creative best. Perhaps, even, where there is an overlap between disciplines like creative writing and contingency/emergency planning.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that occurred to me too. Lots of hair-trigger mentalities out there with triggers...

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I didn't think it sounded all that delusional, but that it laid out pretty much what the scenario is, and some of the possibilities as to why the plane is gone. I don't think we can jump to any conclusion with certainty, but the fact that we haven't found any debris anywhere is pretty concerning.

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

The oceans are pretty big places and most of the early efforts were concentrated on the assigned route. I still don't understand why it took the Malaysian military so long to supply information they had from their primary radar. What a bunch of buffoons. Honestly, there is no excuse for that level of incompetence. The chances of finding something reduce nearly exponentially with time. Clusters of debris, if there are any, will drift apart by wind and tide, depending on size. And there will be debris; there's no way they just ditched it without anyone getting off.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my money is on catastrophic accidental system failure/crash and/or mid-air explosion... all 'facts' based on electronic data are guesses at best, inane grasping at intangible straws, at worst...

7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

They said the electrical systems on the plane's engines transmitted to satellites they flew for 7 hours. So the sudden explosion idea wouldn't be possible.

8. chicagoliz

That's what I thought at first, too. But since there has been no debris at all found, that is seeming less and less likely. It's all so very strange.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

All 'facts' do not leave just guesses. There are some, like @Lewdog points out, that begin to narrow down the possibilities. The 'facts' don't leave any options except purposeful. I don't think it's a wild guess to conclude at least that much.

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I'd love to hear you explain how the electrical system continued to transmit after the plane "system failure/crash and/or mid-air explosioned". You can use facts, or even 'facts' if you prefer.

EDIT: This popped up on my feed today
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Can you believe Stephen King predicted this would happen with his book, "The Langoliers?"

Okon likes this.
  12. Jack Asher

Yes. A disappearing plane seems like something he would write about. What would surprise me would be that no other author has dreamed up this series of events.

13. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

The really liked the show Lost

14. GingerCoffee

It's been done.

Long before the Langoliers, Twilight Zone (or maybe it was One Step Beyond) did an episode where the plane went through some weather disturbance and looked down to see the dinosaurs. And either that one or a different one, when they tried to come back they ended up landing a couple decades in the past. I think it ended with them taking off and trying again.

15. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Yeah, hijacking to crash it on the day would make some kind of sense. Hijacking to use later makes pretty much no sense, when you can buy an end-of-life airliner for not much more than scrap value (flyable 727s, for example, seem to start around $100,000).

16. Jack Asher

My terrorist budget only covers small arms, menacing looks, and health insurance,

17. GingerCoffee

OK, here's another scenario, not sure if it fits the evidence:

Suicidal pilot takes over cockpit, re-programs autopilot, takes the plane to 45K feet, kills everyone including himself but switches the autopilot back on before dying. Plane with all dead passengers and crew flies off toward the open ocean until it runs out of fuel.

18. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

IDK, Liz, the guy sounded like he was sold on the idea that that is exactly what happened to the plane.

19. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Yep, the story was, from outside POV, the plane disappeared, but from insider POV, they are still trying to get home.

Another good TZ episode was a plane landing with no passengers or crew and the investigator surmised it was an illusion. He stuck his arm in a prop and the plane disappeared, along with all the people he worked with on the investigation. EOS, he was a long time investigator who was never stumped, except for one plane that disappeared and he never discovered why. Guess which ghost plane landed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  20. chicagoliz

It didn't strike me that he was necessarily sold that absolutely, that's what happened. But in going through the possibilities, many of which seem increasingly unlikely given that we haven't found any kind of debris or other evidence of a crash or explosion, he seems to think that this is a definite possibility. And as such, he thinks we need to plan for that contingency. We plan for contingencies all the time, even ones that seem remote and fairly unlikely. But given the info we have at this point, I don't think we can rule it out as a crackpot theory.

I saw a Sherlock Holmes quote referenced in a story about this plane, and I think it is increasingly applicable:
    “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Now, we haven't reached the point where everything else is impossible, but there aren't a whole lot of scenarios left.

21. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

I bet he has canned food and a fallout shelter in his back garden haha :p

He probably watches survival shows and wears a compass and first aid kit at all times...

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's still mostly guesses, speculation, theories... none of the electronic data can be totally relied upon, which only a rare few of the 'experts' being interviewed dare to mention... and the media's manic focus on the pilots is unwarranted, which is another thing that only a rare few of the 'experts' dare to state...

so, the bottom line is that the only thing anyone can know for sure is that they know nothing for sure, other than that the plane is missing and there's no proof from the 'evidence' why it is, or where it ended up...

yammering on and on endlessly, 24/7 on tv, in newspapers, or writing sites will not solve the mystery... there's a good chance it will never be solved, the plane and all 'souls on board' never be seen again, and twenty years or a century from now, arguments like this one will still be taking place... wasting time and energy and keeping the arguers from doing anything useful...

i'm going back to work and will wait to see if any real 100% reliable proof emerges from all the investigating...

happy time-wasting, kids! ;)

23. Jack Asher

Are you under the impression that the GPS tracker and all of the other systems that keep a plane in the air are magic somehow? Putting things in quotes does not make them less real.

24. chicagoliz

Well, yes, I agree that the 24 hour news channels are a bit obsessed with it, and of course the speculating isn't going to actually help or solve the mystery. BUT, we're far beyond the days of Amelia Earhart. The 777 is a pretty big plane, equipped with quite a bit of technology. I do believe that eventually we will discover what happened, and it will likely be prior to twenty years from now.

25. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

There seem to be two options right now:

1. It went North, and ended up on land. Either it's crashed somewhere, or it landed somewhere. If that's the case, someone will come across it sooner or later. Worst case would probably be that it's in a hangar in an old Soviet air base, where it might not be found for a long time.

2. It went South, and is now at the bottom of the Pacific. If we don't hear the pinger in the next two weeks, there's a good chance we'll never find it.