That Moment :continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

That moment when you're compelled to go back and edit the manuscript you sent out for queries and find that a whole chunk of the last half is missing.....

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Ow! Can you mail them the rest and explain what happened?

3. J.T. Woody

The good thing is.... I'm still at the "2-3 chapters and a summary" stage so i have time to fix the back portion.

The bad thing is.... I went overboard with my editing and nitpicking and changed so much that those 2-3 chapters i sent are now meaningless...

IF they decide to request more, i have to figure out how to explain why i just up and decided to change around EVERYthing

evild4ve and Madman like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Me, too, but I don't get paid because I'm part time. Ergo: between Thanksgiving and winter holidays this year, I will have three weeks without pay. Thank you, college bureaucracy, and please keep those "have a great holiday; we value our employees " emails to yourself.

Dogberry's Watch and OurJud like this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That’s a bit shit. Our firm’s just sent out letters offering their employees a £200 a day bonus if they volunteer to work over Christmas. I don’t know a single one who’s agreed to take up the offer :D

6. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Revisions, revisions, revisions. The true definition of perfection is when there is nothing left to add or subtract to improve the finished product. James Patterson’s first novel was submitted, rejected, and revised over 50 times before it was accepted. It went on to win a prize for debut novel of the year.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  7. NobodySpecial

I only get holliday pay if the holliday lands on a day I’m regularly scheduled to work; like today. Of course I work tomorrow.

8. NobodySpecial

The moment you once again forget pizza boxes are still in the oven. Cooking directions should read ‘Make sure there are no pizza boxes in the oven before preheating to 425°.

9. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    How do the pizza boxes get in the oven in the first place?

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'll be working Christmas day and boxing day this year - i'm a beach officer and we have Christmas day and boxing day swims (back and bigger after cancelling last year) so, yeah.

I told Mrs moose she should visit her parents for Chrimble so its only one of us who gets our day ruined..such is life. I don't get overs or bonuses either, but i will get a day in lieu

11. Catriona Grace

TMW... you realize that this year ALL FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE THANKSGIVING OFF! It was wonderful.

I usually volunteer for either Christmas or Thanksgiving since in a family of first responders one takes one's times together where one can find it. Also this year, someone else signed up for Christmas before I did. I worked Labor Day and either 4th of July or Memorial Day- can't recall which. It's a great group of volunteers- everyone takes a turn at holidays without a single bit of discussion.

Madman likes this.
  12. NobodySpecial

To protect the pizza from counter surfing dogs.

love to read likes this.
  13. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

That moment when you spend most of an evening failing to figure out what that song playing in your head is, and you would love to hear the whole thing, because it's awesome. This is then followed by that other, next-day moment where you randomly watch some behind the scenes documentary thingy where a couple of guys are having the exact same problem. And then, for whatever reason, something just clicks, and you know what song it was. Somehow you've always known.

The bad followed by the good. Light after darkness. Frustration -> release. There's probably a philosophical lesson in this, but I don't have time for that. I gotta jam to this wicked tune.

Madman and love to read like this.
  14. love to read

love to read Senior Member

The moment when you try to lift a bag of cement and you fail and hurt your back. Followed by the moment you realise that you've lifted it unnecessary because you won't get it down the two steps from the front door while it's on the sack truck. Followed by the moment everyone in your family says 'I told you so.'. Luckily the damage doesn't seem too bad, just bad enough to be annoying. And at least the bag is now exactly where I wanted it to be. Still, not the greatest (or brightest) moments of the day.

15. NobodySpecial

E8793F2D-779A-4BDB-AE24-E88E70FDC86C.jpeg

16. Catriona Grace

TMW:

You tear up the pages of novel notes you no longer need and realize there are less than a dozen pages left. The end is in sight. :cheerleader::write::cheerleader:

Night Herald, Madman and AntPoems like this.
  17. J.T. Woody

That moment when you spend 20 mins of your lunch stuck between a train and a confused 18wheeler......

the road that goes between my job and my lunch spot is between some warehouses. i have to cross the train tracks to get back to work.
    So i came up to the crossing just as the arms were closing, and these trains tend to go on forever. so i make a U turn and try to go back the other way. well, and 18 wheeler was backing into the warehouse. normally, they dont take that long. THIS guy must be a newb. he kept jumping the curb and having to start again. back and forth. almost hit the wall. he almost hit the barricade. at one point, i thought he'd give up, but kept trying. at another point i thought he'd wedged himself between the wall and the barricade and was stuck.
    when he FINALLY backed in, the train had already passed and the arms were opening up and i was facing the opposite direction :mad:
    so i had to make that detour....

Catriona Grace and Night Herald like this.
  18. Catriona Grace

TMW you check out a LARGE PRINT version of a novel from a library and realize that part of the reason you don't read as much as you used to is because it has become a struggle to read regular sized print.

19. TK

TK Active Member

That moment when you forget the purpose of the characters introduced in the story. :eek:

Madman likes this.
  20. Catriona Grace

That moment when you realize the novel you've worked on for years is done.

Done. As in D-O-N-E done.

21. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

That moment someone you get totally stoked about someone you've never actually met's great accomplishment. Congratulations!!! :cheerleader:

Catriona Grace likes this.
  22. Catriona Grace

Awwwwww! I'm gonna go put you in the "things I'm grateful for" thread. Thanks.

AntPoems likes this.
  23. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

That moment when you realise that the toughest scene to write in the chapter you're working on actually needs to be two separate scenes, and now you're having a dummy-spit worthy of Cristiano Ronaldo.

24. J.T. Woody

That moment when a drunk guy (DG) walks into the library:

DG: theres something wrong with this computer (but doesnt say what it is)
    Me: -examines computer ...everything is in working order- sir, I dont think im understanding whats going on. Im confused
    DG: man, me too!! -laughs-
    Me:........
    DG: where you from?
    Me: Maryland
    DG: so you not from America?
    Me: no, im from America
    DG: your parents from america?
    Me: yes.
    DG: so you fresh off the porch!

Its going to be an interesting morning:superlaugh:

25. GenericSNRI

GenericSNRI Active Member

TMW when you stand out on the corner and wave your bus pass and the driver just waves at you and keeps going. Like... dude?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024