1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That / Which

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Sep 29, 2022.

“A sentiment that couldn’t have been expressed more succinctly.”

“A sentiment which couldn’t have been expressed more succinctly.”

Which is correct and why? In layman’s terms, please.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

They both are. The that/which rule is ignored fairly often. The Brits ignore it so much that for them it isn't a rule at all.

Now, if you ask your grammar teacher, she will tell you that only the first line is correct. The grammar book rule is that which is used with commas around it. It contains ideas that are extra and don't alter the obvious meaning of the sentence. They're paused and offset almost like an appositive an added thought. Maybe even the Brit grammar teacher says this, but no one listens to her.

What has been found in the publishing world is that no pro uses commas around that, and they usually use commas around which, but not always.
    • This usually happens: The jellicle cat, which had been chosen as the blood sacrifice, ascended to the heavens.
    • This never happens: The jellicle cat, that had been chosen as the blood sacrifice, ascended to the heavens.
    • This could happen: The jellicle cat which had been chosen as the blood sacrifice ascended to the heavens. (no commas)
    • And this one is the safe baseline: The jellicle cat that had been chosen as the blood sacrifice ascended to the heavens. (no commas)
    I like using which as if it were that (the third example). To me it's a bit more elegant. I feel it has a softer sound than that, but I only do that trick sometimes.

If the added phrase is more of an afterthought you use which and tuck it inside of commas. You should just think of that as a means to tack on important info that needs to be said without a pause. Your follow-up info is so important that it needs to be connected seamlessly, and the phrase is as important as the noun. Tucking the info inside of commas with which changes the meaning of the sentence. It makes the phrase secondary and puts more focus on the noun.

(I tried to avoid jargon.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. OurJud

I’ll have to read this 9 or 10 times before it sinks in. It’s not your explanation but for whatever reason my brain has this weird kind of blindness to written explanations. I read the words but my brain can’t decipher what’s being said.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  4. Seven Crowns

Haha, I understand. You're probably not the only one. How about just simple examples?

If it's all one idea, one connected unit, use that. No commas.
    There are many dogs in my neighborhood, but the one that won't stop barking really needs to go.
    See how the idea has to go with the noun? It's critical info. I can't just say "The one needs to go." It doesn't make sense on its own, so use that, no commas.
    If the idea is secondary, use which and commas.
    That new cat of yours, which you shouldn't have bought, is shedding everywhere.
    The info is extra. The line makes sense without it. Use which and commas.
    But be aware that the distinction is often ignored.
    "Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked . . ."
    The rule says use that because the extra info is critical to the meaning. It's not just "a date." The extra info must be there. But FDR ignored the rule and used which, no commas.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  5. OurJud

Thanks. That’s a lot easier to follow but let me give it a try because my original example isn’t supporting a clause in the way yours are.

If, instead, my example was:

“The sentiment, which couldn’t have been expressed more succinctly, came from a very unexpected source.”

then it’s ‘which’ ?

Seven Crowns likes this.
  6. Seven Crowns

Yes. You've got it right. That whole phrase can be dropped without losing meaning, so you hide inside of commas with which.

OurJud likes this.
  7. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Seven Crowns' explanation is on the mark. That said, I ignore the rule. I tend to mix "which" and "that" just to avoid having too many "that" sentences in close succession.

petra4, OurJud and Seven Crowns like this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Comma = which
    No comma = that

I like the "which" at the end of a longer sentence, particularly when I've stacked some non-comma clauses and it feels like the last one would be one too many. Sometimes that "that" clause at the end can push the sentence into run-on territory.

petra4, OurJud and Seven Crowns like this.
  9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I learned that the first example is correct, the second example is not. I couldn’t explain why—probably for the reasons Seven Crowns set forth.

OurJud and Seven Crowns like this.
  10. OurJud

Now you see I’m the opposite. The first, using ‘that’, sounds very amateurish to my ears. Like it’s being said by a poorly educated person.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Steerpike and Xoic like this.
  11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

As opposed to a well uneducated person? :p

OurJud likes this.
  12. OurJud

DOH! How’s that for irony? I’d originally written ‘an uneducated person’ then decided ‘poorly educated’ was more accurate, and forgot to omit the ‘un’.

Xoic likes this.
  13. Steerpike

When I see that kind of usage (example two) I can’t help but think the writer doesn’t know how to use the two words. Not that it matters much from a practical perspective but it always stops me mid-sentence for half a second.

14. Steerpike

Thinking back on how I learned it, I came across this site and the restrictive v non-restrictive analysis is what I was taught. Though I had completely forgotten the rationale I think it is still what I follow when reading/writing:

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/grammar/that_vs_which.html

I believe this comports with Seven Crowns’ explanation.

15. OurJud

And you’d be right!

But what’s (still) confusing me, is that the explanations given here, and on other grammar websites I’ve found, use the ‘supporting a clause’ example. Well the sentence I provided isn’t doing that. No part of it needs to be contained between commas. It’s a complete sentence in its own right.

If I give a little more context, it might read:

After listened intently I nodded and said “I agree wholeheartedly, and it’s a sentiment that couldn’t have been expressed more succinctly.”

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  16. Steerpike

I don’t think the commas are determinative. People may or may not use them in various examples. In your example, it’s a restrictive clause with respect to “sentiment” so it’s “that.”

Assuming I understand this correctly. I’m not an expert in grammar.

OurJud likes this.
  17. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

Use which, preceded by a comma, for non-defining clauses. A non-defining clause gives parenthetical information.
    A. I live in the third house, which has a chimney.

Use that, no comma, for defining clauses. A defining clause adds essential (not parenthetical) information.
    B. I live in the third house that has a chimney.

[​IMG]

Seven Crowns likes this.