1. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

the book is always better

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lance Schukies, May 31, 2015.

enjoy

imgur.com/a/m0tge

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Ah! :bigeek:
    Why do we have so many weird plugins I don't know about? :confused:

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Not always.

4. JessAlways

JessAlways Member

The book does tend to be better. In the cases of Unbroken, Harry Potter and Hunger Games, and Lord of the Rings.
    The books were just incredible. The movies were great, and I love them, but it's so fun reading through the books!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I thought Gone with the Wind did a nice job of streamlining things - A lot of people don't know that Scarlett O'Hara had a boy ( Wade ) other than just the fateful 'Bonnie Blue.'

I didn't bother watching Harriet the Spy - I just couldn't see Rosie O'Donnell as Ole Golly.
    And a movie I thought was better than the book was The Night Digger with Patricia Neal. A creepy old 70's thriller ( Roald Dahl did the screenplay ) the book Nest in a Falling Tree wasn't nearly as good.

6. The Smoked Word

The Smoked Word New Member

The main thing I always dislike about books made into films are that they dismiss some really really fun stuff. Mainly this is replaced with romance or the like. or the ending in the LOTR books. I watched the films before I read the book. And after reading the book I couldn't understand why they didn't implement the ending of the books in the films. Trying to say it without spoiling, so sorry if it's unclear :).

JessAlways likes this.
  7. JessAlways

JessAlways Member

Well said!

8. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

Most Light Novels are garbage, but the anime adaptations are great.

9. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

My biggest exception is Jaws. I thought the movie blew the book out of the water.

10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Fuck off the book is always better. They're different. The mediums have strengths and weaknesses. Books can do what movies can't, and movies can do what books can't.

Fight Club the movie is far better than the book. The Beach movie is far better than the book. Then there's Die Hard (Nothing Lasts Forever), Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), Shrek, The Shining, The Book Thief (mainly because that book is garbage), The Princess Bride, Minority Report, The Godfather, Schindler's List, Master and Commander, 2001, Full Metal Jacket (The Short-timers), Reqiuem for a Dream (even though the book is good, the movie is outstanding), To Kill a Mockingbird (again, a fine book but a magical movie), We need to Talk about Kevin, ... I could go on.

Mike Hill likes this.
  11. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

Me, too, but then Jaws is my all-time favorite movie.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Add Trainspotting to that. I love (adore) the film, yet I'm not to be honest a huge fan of the book.

13. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Twilight the book is unreadable. Movie was awful but better. Book was also much creepier.

14. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

The Percy Jackson book/movie is an example of being different. The books were great. But the movie is 100% different. If I hadn't been such a big fan of the books, I might have actually enjoyed the movies. They weren't bad movies. Just different.

But... I may never say this about another book again, but the Divergent movie was waaayy better than the book. They changed some things in the movie that I think made it so much better. For example, in the book, Tris knows she can trick her training simulation, so she does. I can't remember why exactly. But in the movie, she's not SUPPOSED to trick the simulations because it'll make her stand out as Divergent. Four teaches her how a Dauntless would do it, so she'd look Dauntless and not Divergent. The way the movie handled it makes way more sense than the way the book handled it.

On another note.. The movie lost it's appeal after I watched Insurgent. It was just... bad. lol

15. daveydwb

daveydwb New Member

What about Jurassic Park? Both the book and the movie are outstanding, but I'd have to say the movie is slightly better. Not by much, but still.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  16. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Whenever possible, I see the movie first and then read the book. Makes both far more enjoyable.

17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Because movies can cue emotional responses in a way books never can, by using music. And what film is more famous for it's suspense building music!

18. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

Some popular film theorists would argue that there can only be one good and one bad version of any story. If the film is great, the book is probably not a classic and if the book is great, the movie version is often not worth watching. A often used example of this is Moby Dick, classic book, but no one has ever made a successful movie adaptation. The point is that a story usually only fits one medium.

When a book and the movie adaptation are both good, it's usually because the movie has been changed a lot. I.e. Stephen King's vs Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining - great book, great film, but that's mainly because Kubrick in the adaptation process changed the story to fit his medium. What he produced was something that was so different from King's book that King didn't want him to publish it.

Ivana and Lea`Brooks like this.
  19. Sack-a-Doo!

How does Harry Potter fit into your theory?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  20. Quixote's Biographer

That depends. Are you saying that either the books or the movies are great/bad?

21. Sack-a-Doo!

They aren't to my taste, so I won't render an opinion.

My point is that just about everyone who likes Harry Potter in one form also likes him in the other. It makes me wonder what those popular film theorists would say. Perhaps it's the exception that proves the rule?

22. Quixote's Biographer

I think most rules have exceptions and Harry Potter might be one of them, absolutely. But even though I've read all the books and seen all the movies I wouldn't say either is great (Daniel Radcliffe in particular is atrocious the older he gets..). So, neither being great, you could perhaps say that Harry Potter doesn't 'qualify' for the theory. But in all honesty, I haven't studied adaptations in depth, I only happened to read an article about it in the film theorist's 'Holy Bible' (Also know as "Film Theory and Criticism" by editors Braudy and Cohen if you're interested).

Technically I didn't say it was MY theory either :)

23. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I thought John Huston's Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck, was pretty good, though it loses much as compared to the novel.

24. little_writer

little_writer Member

The book is always better, because when you read it you imagine everything in your own way. and when you watch a movie after the book, 99% are it will NOT coincide with what you "watched" in your imagination whole reading :)

25. Sack-a-Doo!

This is 100% true... unless the book is a novelization. :)