Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Novel The break

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by deadrats, Mar 12, 2020.

It's been about three months since I finished a rough draft of my novel. I briefly felt accomplished and put it away while I worked on other writing. I am a short story writer and essayist by trade, you could say. All my friends were writing novels. Oh, how I give to fit in. But really, I want to publish my novel. I probably want to publish a few because I had fun with the one I just wrote. Plus, everyone who's publishing in the big magazines and journals has books in there bios. And the prizes you can get from a novel pay a hell of a lot more than the short stuff prizes. I'm talking Pulitzers and Pushcarts.

Anyway, I've given my novel a lot of thought since finishing it. I made it up as I was going. It actually went in a slightly different direction than I thought. It's a mystery of sorts and I surprised myself with the ending. I did quite a bit of editing and revision along the way. It's just now that I know how it ends I want to go back and add some clues, sort of beef up the investigation. Maybe even throw in another twist somewhere.

I did write a synopsis for it because I was supposed to email it to someone. I just wasn't ready for any kind of help right now. My draft is super rough and I know that. I would love to hear from some of you how long you step away from your novel. What's a good break when you know there's going to be so much work to do? Last time I wrote a novel I never wrote a second draft. It was never published. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot again. Novels are hard. I have no idea how many draft I'll need. I just want to make this one work. I'm freaking out a little even about opening the file. So, now I don't know if I'm taking a necessary break from such a large project or I'm just procrastinating. How do you know the difference?

2. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

Sometimes it's a week, a month, sometimes it's an afternoon because what I actually needed was to let myself off the hook and have a lazy day. I've definitely been in the same situation.

I think you just need to trust yourself and your own intuition re: procrastination. I take breaks because deep down, I know I need them, and deep down, I know it's not procrastination, no matter what some writers might say about not writing every day. There's something to be said for letting the ink well refill!

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Ok i finally have time to respond to this lol (though what i do is probably the wrong thing).

When i finished my first draft, i was so excited and wanted to just jump in and do edits/rewrites. But i forced myself to take like a 2-3 month break from it.

During the edits, i took a lot of breaks because, as you said, its super hard. I found myself getting stuck more often so id take breaks... The longest was probably 2 weeks before i looked at it again.
    Reading the comments was more nerve-racking and intimidating for me than anything. I found myself not wanting to open the document and read the comments... So i procrastinated that.... But once i got into the editing and addressing the comments, it got better (though there were a few comments that made me slap my forehead and shut my computer with embarrassment)

4. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

Making a list of comments/points that you've got to edit is a great idea! Reminds me of writing my dissertation. I'm literally going to start doing this - so much easier, because it's just a case of working through the list!!