1. Only Sissies Write

Only Sissies Write New Member

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Only Sissies Write, Oct 24, 2008.

Has anyone else read them? They were finished back in the late 50s I think. There's five novels and a book of short stories for it. Disney did a movie for the first two, too. I remember reading these first when I was like six or seven years old and I still go back and reread them from time to time. They're great fantasy books.

It was The Book of Three
    The Black Cauldren
    The Castle of Llyr
    Taran Wanderer
    The High King

Both The Black Cauldren and The High King won the Newbery Award. My personal favorites are Taran Wanderer and The High King.

2. cieeciee

cieeciee New Member

I read these when I was a kid. I remember really loving this series. I thought of this series immediately when the popularity of Harry Potter was surprising everyone and "reinvigorating" reading for a new generation. I thought this series would be a great follow up for young people to read if they liked Harry Potter or other serialized fantasy fiction.

3. apathykills

apathykills New Member

this is the series that made me love books, to this day I look at it as both standard and inspiration.

4. eclecticism7

eclecticism7 New Member

I read all but Taran Wanderer--it wasn't in my county's library system. Actually, they weren't my favorites. Not quite deep enough, I guess, after something like The Lord of the Rings. Good quality writing, but a little superficial maybe? Or just meant for less mature audiences...