The Corporate/Professional Language Translator

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VicesAndSpices, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I enjoyed it

EFMingo likes this.
  2. VicesAndSpices

VicesAndSpices Member Contest Winner 2022

Well, getting back to the original idea for whomever's up for it...I have another phrase I'd like help with.

How do I politely say "Sorry I promised you X when I can actually only deliver on Y"?

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

You don't politely say it. You promised something and didn't deliver. That is a serious problem. So, you have the face it head on and speak curtly and quickly. Direct and to the point.

Don't apologize. Customers and staff alike will come down on you monstrously. Instead explain shortly that you are only able to deliver Y at this time and why if possible. Give a timeframe for X to be completed if possible. If not, refer up.

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

In fact, I would refer up first for guidance, depending on how responsible you are for this client. Let someone more senior than you who has been in contact with the client make contact at the appropriate level.

If, however, you are responsible for the guidance, I disagree with EFMingo a little. I think you *should* apologise, but it depends on the relationship you have with the client.

But you should definitely do this:
    EDIT: Also, it depends on WHY you can't deliver Y. If it's due to unforeseen circumstances, that's one thing. S*** happens that is out of our control. But if it's down to a lack of skills, a lack of capacity or something that WAS within your control, that's more serious. The sooner you own up to it with your line manager, the better. Then everyone can get into problem-solving mode.

5. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

You need also to foresee points to dodge, here is an example which may or may not apply to your case. If you say you weren't able to deliver because of other tasks, you might be asked things like why you took extra tasks on while you were still completing this one (took on too much load), and why you didn't say anything or asked for help until too late, etc.

VicesAndSpices and EFMingo like this.
  6. EFMingo

I should have said that first. Usually this is the safest approach, of course unless the error was on your end. But better to own up anyways ahead of disaster.

In the science world, this apology becomes a weak point at which they carry with them and cry about for God damn ever. Customers are always trying to get massively expensive equipment for stupidly discounted rates. I've just learned to be a little more cold. This depends a lot on the customer though, so we probably just have different bases.

Yeah, that's why I put the why if possible in after a quick edit. That may be your out. FedEx gets the blame frequently for me in parts shipments, but it doesn't last forever.

Problem-solving over an email chain with every line person involved really helps.

Naomasa298 and VicesAndSpices like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To my mind the first point is can you rescue the situation - like for example if I'd failed to deliver something I'd promised, i wouldn't be wasting time on a writers forum, i'd be working to fix it.

Second - id do it in person or on the phone not via email if possible

thirdly i'd suggest that you try and speak to the senior person privately - explaining that you've cocked up is a lot easier if not in front of your team
    in terms of what you actually say

Sir (or boss or however the senior likes to be addressed), I've made a mistake , i know I said I'd have the newsletter finished by Tuesday, but thats not going to happen. I'll have it on your desk first thing thursday. I know i've let the team down, and it won't happen again.

at that point you can reasonably expect a lot of questions and possibly shouting depending on the company policy.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I assumed it was a manager or peer rather than a client - i can't imagine the junior whos only got 6 months experience being responsible for much directly to the client.

If it is a client speak to your manager before you mention it to them.... the manager may well prefer to speak to the client themselves, or to put other people on the task to get it done so that they don't have to speak to the client at all

Naomasa298 and EFMingo like this.
  9. EFMingo

Depends. My supervisor dropped my dumb ass in front of customers on my own at six months. Terrifying. It was sink or swim. He didn't want to waste a full year on someone who couldn't hold their own.

10. ruskaya

Suggest a deadline one to a few days later than when you can actually have it done by, because chances are your boss or client will try to anticipate it.

11. big soft moose

Were you 24 at the time though?... there's a big difference doing that to someone who was a staff sergeant in the USMC and doing it to someone who's just out of graduate school in their first job

12. VicesAndSpices

VicesAndSpices Member Contest Winner 2022

These are all great! I want it on the record: it was not exclusively my fault. Also, the stakes are crazy low, so it's not like my job is at risk.

PS: It's more of an "I said you could have the Bavarian creme-filled donut, but you can actually have a glazed" kind of situation.

13. EFMingo

This can be a little dangerous as far as advice goes. If your not certain on a secondary deadline for an already passed first, you'll be doubly screwed.

27. Not too far off. And I was only the Sarge in charge...but yeah, I see what you're getting at.

Well that eases tension. You say corporate issues and I immediately jump to costs in the minimum of six figures.

VicesAndSpices likes this.
  14. big soft moose

I do that as a matter of course - under promise and over deliver... you can't be blatant of course but if i know i can get it done by Wednesday I'll tell the boss friday, so i can either impress him with early delivery, or i can put it to one side and work on something else for two days, or if it all goes to shit ive got two days to try to fix it

15. big soft moose

If its trivial you just tell it like it is - you save the important speak for matters of importance.

"I know i said you could have the creme filled donut, but unfortunately they were sold out, have my glazed one, I'm happy with the plain"

16. ruskaya

I try to dilute, and be more of an "I'll have it done by next week" or "by X-month" and then manage time to my convenience. In exchange I present progress updates.

@VicesAndSpices -- On a side note, a way to learn how people speak and do things is to read carefully emails, the way they language is used and how people manage organization. You can do the same during meetings, but you might not be able to focus on language because busy paying attention to the information is being delivered.

dbesim, VicesAndSpices and EFMingo like this.
  17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

On the e-commerce site I run, sometimes, a customer orders something and we don't have it, even though our website says it does.

So I email them saying something along the lines of "I'm terribly sorry, there's been a stock error and we don't have X. Would Y be a suitable alternative for you? If not, I can offer you a refund."

I apologise, I explain (without going into detail) what's happened, and I offer a solution. Most of the time, customers understand. It's a £50 item.

On the other hand, if the same thing happened in my corporate job, I would be on the phone to the FD or account manager that he has to call the client NOW to explain why we can't get the communications system installed on the ship before it leaves port (actually, that's not my department, but you get the idea). It's rarely our guys who are at fault though, it's usually the salesperson who sold them something without checking with us first whether it could be done.

VicesAndSpices, ruskaya and EFMingo like this.
  18. big soft moose

With the addendum to make sure you're also cognisant of the organisational rank of the person speaking/emailing whatever... the marketting director may well get away with coming into the office in a cocaine blizzard and calling his PA an dumb fucking bitch (I actually worked for a guy who did exactly that)... but i doesn't mean junior staff will get away with the same standard of communication.

also you have to watch out for informal rank - steve from accounts may get away with calling the CEO mate and joking about his weight because they're on the same Lions committee/ am dram group/ their wives are best friends/steve's married to the CEO's daughter or whatever...it doesn't however imply that people of the same formal rank as steve will get away with calling the CEO fatty and asking who ate all the pies

VicesAndSpices likes this.
  19. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Pretty much just that.

"I'm sorry to have to admit that, although I promised you X, I am now finding that I won't be able to deliver X [in the time frame promised]. I will be able to deliver Y within the time frame promised. Can we discuss a revised time frame for delivery of X?" [The latter only if time is the only thing interfering with delivery of X as promised.]

If it's minor, 'fess up and let it ride. If it's major (and especially if it involves a client or a senior person in your organization) I think you have to somewhat throw yourself on your sword to show that you have skin in the game.

Example: Some years ago I was the team leader for the design of a multi-million dollar reconstruction of a corporate training facility. The client had told us they wanted the construction documents finished by the end of June so they could get bids and start construction before winter weather set in. My firm was doing the architecture; there were some unusual structural issues so, instead of using our in-house structural engineer, we brought in a consultant who was an expert in the type of structural problems involved. The project deadline was well-known to all members of the team at least two months before the due date. We were to have the construction documents on the client's desk the Friday before 4th of July weekend.

A week before the due date I called the consultant to ask for his final drawings, so we could get everything printed and sent to the client. He said the drawings weren't ready. The coming weekend was going to be 4th of July weekend. I asked if he could have them ready by Tuesday (Monday was the holiday). Nope -- he said he and his wife were going camping. I had the delightful task of calling the client and telling him the plans weren't ready, and that he wasn't going to get them on Friday. I didn't throw anyone under the proverbial bus, I just told him we weren't quite ready. I promised him we would finish the drawings over the weekend, print on Tuesday, and overnight them so he would have them on his desk on Wednesday.

My call -- my project -- my responsibility. But my boss's client -- and a major, corporate client. I knew generally what the high-falutin', under-performing consulting engineer had in mind, so I spent the entire 3-day weekend in the office, finishing the structural drawings. I had two CADD stations up and running simultaneously, plus a third computer on which I wrote or revised specifications as I found things in the drawings that needed to be coordinated. It's amazing how productive you can be when there's no interruption. I worked straight through Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night. I wrapped the project around 4:00 p.m. on Monday (the actual holiday), left a note instructing the team to make X sets of prints and to overnight them to the client, and went home to collapse.

I did that to demonstrate to the client that I had skin in the game. We had made a promise, and we didn't deliver. I had to show him/them that we took the failure to deliver seriously, and that we were willing to do whatever we could to make up for our lapse. It worked. The client admitted [later] that he wouldn't have done anything with the plans over 4th of July weekend anyway, so in reality it didn't matter much if they were there when he came in on Tuesday. He really only lost one day, but he was extremely appreciative that we cared about a lapsed promise and went out of our way to make up for it as well as possible. The project went well after that.

Sometimes our actions are far more important than any words.

Sorry for the long story.

20. big soft moose

Its worth finding out if the company has a style guide to their communications, and also looking at stuff like the annual report and the five year plan which will give an idea of both what the company thinks is important and the sort of language they use.

I also generally find its a good idea to make friends with the senior secretarial staff... they might not have much formal rank but executive secretaries tend to know a lot about how the company works, and are a good source of intelligence.

like for example one place i worked I became friendly with the CEOs PA by the simple expedient of arriving at the same time as her, holding the door for her and wishing her a good morning. The CEO of that place was a complete piece of shit and a lot of the staff followed his lead in treating the secretaries like unpersons... by being polite and friendly i rapidly became known to be a good guy..which was handy for example when i was three days late with a report for the CFO...his PA, who didn't know me from Adam but was good friends with the CEOs PA simply dated it three days earlier and slipped it into his in tray for me.

Another example was that at a different place I could do nothing right for this certain manager (who wasn't my line manager but was at the same rank) one of the executive secretaries let me know that said asshole was big into wood turning. I've got a mate who's a tree surgeon so i acquired some interesting wood and pretending i didn't know he was down talking me just went 'hey i hear you're into turning,, i got this mate.." About a year later my line manager left and said asshole, who actually wasn't that bad a guy when you got to know him, was on the interview panel and i heard later more or less insisted i be given the chance despite my being the most junior candidate

21. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Similar situation: person wanted A. I found out that i could not get A for her.... Or her Plan B. (I work with books, for context)

I said: "Hi ___! I got your message about "Book A" (excellent series, by the way). Unfortunately, it is unavailable for me to get for you"

(She sends me her Plan B)

My response: "i can try to get that item for you, however, i am not confident that i can get it to you by the time you need it. I will do my best, though! Do you have a Plan C just in case?"

To which she gave me her Plan C.

(Eta: im typing from my cellphone, so just assume that the ACTUAL email included correct punctuations and capitalizations)

22. big soft moose

This is a great example of the benefit of owning your mistakes

for those that don't want to watch it - he made a table for this lady for a couple of grand, it went yellow in the sun so two years later she came back to him...and instead of brushing her off he said i'll replace it or give you your money back...she opted for a replacement

and the next day ordered a 10k dining table from him because she was so impressed by the way he'd handled her issue

23. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Good that it wasn't a major issue. Also good that it wasn't exclusively your fault, BUT ... to be considered a team player and progress, it's best to never throw your co-workers under the bus. No supervisor wants to hear the rookie explain why something wasn't delivered on time by saying it was ____'s fault. (Even if it was ___'s fault.)

EFMingo likes this.
  24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, as the CEO of a $15 corporation with 150 employees and zillions of customers, I can say that traditional, old school, professional business communication is D.E.A.D. Embrace the slang, memes, and emojis or you'll have neither employees nor customers in a few years. I don't like it, but we had to make the switcheroo, kicking and screaming for the last few years. Now granted, I'm in the restaurant industry which is youth driven. Aside from a few old-timey bartenders, book keepers and secretaries, I'm the oldest person in the company at 43. My directors and VPs are all in their mid 30s. Same as my managers and chefs. I am probably the only person who consistently uses there/their/they're correctly, including the bigwigs at the billion dollar food and liquor vendors we deal with. The old school business environment I came up in just isn't a thing anymore. I am embrace it. It beats bankruptcy.

But having said that @VicesAndSpices, I'd suggest you get onboard whatever the gig is right quick if you want to keep the job. Nobody likes an independent streak when it isn't called for. That's just how the world works.

25. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Only the goal matters. Never involve anything else, especially hints and jokes. If you want to be respected by your 'peers', make your focus about get-it-done. Use 'we' and not 'I or you'; "We are a team. We will find a solution. We made [this] decision."
    As you are new, it seems probable that you are there to provide information and support? Provide information on the expected result for each idea(?) if they can't decide. Keep a daily cold log of your actions for your tasks, and save emails and memos when relevant (to your name/visibility). Make a weekly report to a file and let your superior {or HR) know where to find it. Tell them it is a professional habit of yours so they won't feel burdened to follow it - it's just there.
    Transparency, Truth, and Trustworthy are your guides. Company Time, Money, and objectives are your goals in the corporate world.
    Always ask questions. After you get a feel for the place, find a mentor. Watch and listen first, and keep a professional perspective. Leave drama out of it.

All my hopes and best of luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.