1. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

The country of Sweden hereby presents:

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dorafjol, Aug 27, 2019.

Alright, so here's how the story goes...
    For the past few days I've been searching for a community such as this. There are several out there. Similar, perhaps, but what interest me is the people who populate them. So here I am, after meticulous lurking.

As some of you may have noticed, I actually joined a few days ago, but I felt that beginning with an introduction is a bit heavy. So far, I love it here!

Yes. About me, then! I'm a 28 year old man-child with an ambition for writing. I have started a few projects, but never gotten very far. I sit, and think, and plan. I write an introduction, perhaps. Then silence... This time I actually have a decent idea for how the story is going to play out. And then I actually write, of course! Just a few chapters in, and the going is slow, but progress is progress nonetheless.
    I still have a severe case of editing while I'm writing, which is something I have to work on. My other works (if they warrant such a description) usually consisted of a setting, and then some very convoluted and over-complex order of events that needed to happen, with no idea how to get there. I'm saving these tidbits for later use in any form they may fit.

My current project is a Sci-Fi of sorts. I'd say it falls somewhere nearer the "softer" variant. It's about (attempts at) politics on a large scale. Shaky diplomacy, as a new species of sentient beings have just been discovered (Who discovered who may be a matter of some contention). It's a story about rampant piracy and resource exploitation, and those who get caught between all this.
    Most of all, this is a story about fucking around in space.

Other things I like to do is make music and drink alcohol in lonliness. That's about it, I suppose.
    Hope I'm welcome! I'm getting involved, and try to give some advice here and there, but don't listen to me! It may just be the end of your fantastic novel!

Cheers!

Cdn Writer and Alan Aspie like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome @Dorafjol I'm Iain, one of the mods here. If you haven't had a chance to yet, be sure to check out New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules, and don't be shy about contacting me or one of the other active mods (jannert and big soft moose at the moment) if you have any questions or problems.

You'll need to have two weeks' membership, twenty posts (which include two constructive critiques of others' writing) before you can post in the Workshop for critique of your own work, but until then, feel free to poke around and jump into any one of the numerous discussions that are ongoing here. Those initial requirements will fly by.

Political SF sounds like something I'd love to read. There are bits of it in the Culture series by Iain M. Banks, and of course Dune was all about politicking when it wasn't going all weird and prophetic, but a full-on political SF would be fun.

3. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

Thanks for the welcome! I took the liberty of reading the rules before I signed up, since I can be a bit of a foul-mouth from time to time.
    Love me some culture, though I haven't read all that many yet. On the bright side, that means I have alot of reading to do!
    The politics are more of a backdrop in my story, since populated space have grown too large to govern centrally (not for lack of trying). Formally, there are assigned rulers of countries, planets and bigger sectors, but in general it's a bit of a mish mash of criminal gangs, police, mercenary armies and fed up civilian groups who all rule their tiny little spaces. The focus is mostly on a crew of a small ship in a big world, though they might get mixed up in the ugly business.

I like the 2/1 feedback rule. It ensures that many of us can get the help we need. Keep up the good work!

Cdn Writer and Iain Aschendale like this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Härregud! En svenne igen!

We have few Scandinavian members (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and one irritating know-it-all autistic me(mber) from Finland.

Wellcome as long as you don't have any surströmming with you.

Cdn Writer and Dorafjol like this.
  5. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

I can't make any promises about the strömming. The cans are ripe; the pins have been pulled... Actually, I think a surströmming scene would fit my story nicely. Aboard a small ship in space, where do you run?

I've noticed quite a few Scanders here. Thanks for the welcome!

Cdn Writer and Alan Aspie like this.
  6. M.A.

M.A. Member

Hello! I'm new on the forum as well. I also waited a few days before making introduction - I wonder if lurking is a Scandinavian thing (I'm from Norway, myself). I love the political sci-fi angle your talking about. Sounds like a promising project!

Cdn Writer and Dorafjol like this.
  7. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

Ohoy, neighbour!
    While scandinavians rarely talk to strangers, I think the lurking thing is universial, and possibly a trait of "nerdier" folk, such as, say, writers.
    Sorry 'bout the barrage of commas.

Alan Aspie and Cdn Writer like this.
  8. M.A.

M.A. Member

You're probably right. So, as nerdy writers AND scandinavians, we're pretty much the lurkiest of lurkers.

Some Guy, Dorafjol and jannert like this.
  9. booksofkae

booksofkae Member

Haha, drink in loneliness. Sounds like most of my weekends! But now I also have a notebook and pen and I start tormenting some poor character I have created. Gin+drowning scene!

Dorafjol likes this.
  10. 31152104

31152104 Active Member

Welcome, pinapple person from the tropical wonderland of Skandinavia.

Fucking around in space is an established literary culture that has not enslaved human society enough imho. Instead of reality shows about plastic sillicon humans, and the expanding pagan cult of the church of Marvel, decent moral humans should be brainwashed by tales of tentacle space ships attacking planets, space pirates hosting moon orgies and sentient watermelons invading ocean worlds.

That said, I'm putting off my solo-alcoholism until I actually write something, so good on you for drinking and managing to write. Me, I just pop the top and lie around like a lazy raft of dugong dung.

Guess I'll reward myself with a bottle of Jack when I actually publish something.... me liver shall enjoy the mercy.

Dorafjol and Cdn Writer like this.
  11. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

My uncle always say that if he ever gets fed up with life, he's going to take a bottle of whiskey, sit down in a bog, and slowly sink. As far as going goes, I reckon this a good one.
    Thanks!
    Space is indeed a nice setting for a good fucking about.

I rarely drink and write at the same time, but when I do..... Well, it's not very good. My tip is just to write. Anything. If it sucks, then call it a learning experiment. If it's somewhat okay, cut all the not so okay parts, and you might have a basis for something fairly alright!