1. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

Novel The Differences Between Script Writing and Novel Writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Seren, Feb 21, 2017.

Hi everyone! I wasn't too sure where to ask this, so I hope here is all right.

As we all know, unless you become very successful, you need a day job alongside your novel writing. So, while my biggest dream is to be a published author, I know that it doesn't really equate to a career - or at least, not a stable one. I must have considered a hundred different things that I could do for my "real" job when I leave college, but few appeal to me.

One thing that I've considered is doing something that is perhaps just as unreliable - writing scripts for games. Dating sims/Otome games, to be more specific. However, I've never written a script in my life. How hard, in your opinion, is it to write a script when you're used to writing prose/still continue to write prose whilst also writing scripts? Is it something you think I'll be able to get into the swing of relatively easy, or is it going to take me years and years to write a script to the same standard that I can write a novel?

Finally, does anyone have any experience of doing something even remotely similar to this? Does novelist + scriptwriter for games = something one can live on? Or am I just being silly?

Thank you for reading this massive question. :)

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'd say get hold of some books on game scriptwriting. That should give you an idea of what's involved. Of course there are probably people here on the forum who can also help. Why not give it a try, if you're interested? SOMEBODY writes gaming scripts. It might as well be you!

Seren likes this.
  3. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

I have no idea why I didn't think of books before! I'm in my own little world. :unsure:

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Honestly, I think it's like going from painting the Sistine Chapel to drawing a stick-figure in the snow. I can write a movie script in a week. There's no interior monologue, imagery, or description beyond a handful of blurbs. It's essentially wall to wall dialogue with sparse stage direction sprinkled in between. It's not easy, but it's much simpler, if that makes sense.

Seren likes this.