The dirty underbelly of self publishing.

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by almostvoid, Apr 9, 2019.

1. almostvoid

almostvoid Member

th
    the only thing remote I know is my memory---shit-ahoy no TV---isn't it great? so much time! to waste! here! I think the published authors write in such a hurry they don't dive sink or meander into their subject matter. it is all too much effluenza---I only go online maybe three days a week now---though yesterday I found this site for free books -ancient stuff from the 19th century---openlibrary.org---and spent 4 hours+ downloading philosophy of science and history on the German Romantik [not the band!!!] of books one would only find in rare university libraries. In case you want to have a look.

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Some really great authors are truly prolific ...three of my favourites being Terry Pratchett, Kage Baker and Iain Banks. (Good thing, too, as they all died before their time, leaving us with a lot to enjoy.) But there is certainly money to be made if you are prolific. As to what drives a prolific author, I'm sure there are many factors, including personality and dedication to writing every day. I only know my writing brain doesn't work like that, so I'm not ever going to make serious money. That's the downside of meandering, but I'm happy to be a meanderer.

almostvoid likes this.
  3. almostvoid

almostvoid Member

meandering is original---yes---I have never trusted certain types who know exactly what they are doing creatively. I think one needs to apply chaos theory [I do] I just read an Iain Banks [he uses two names so it could be the other] Consider Phlebas [I hope I got that right] a Culture novel [war]. The reasons for the war he could have expressed better rather than just squeezing in a paragraph or two here and there and then the -motley crew returns for these long fights in this underground system-- still much better than what is recently available because there are real aliens! I think sci fi has lost the science bit. More futurism which is not the same. and dystopia will that ever end. which reminds me---saw this great dystopian movie [this is chaos working in my head] and the director got so much right in detail EXCEPT [this an Amerikan movie]---their TEETH---so white so bright so perfect!!!
    as for money---I am giving mine away. I want people to read it mainly.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I generally publish about 6 a year - I'd agree that 12 would be pushing it unless they were novellas - but the thing to bear in mind is that if they start with a lead in time to build up a back catalogue it doesn't actually take a month. (or two months in my case).

Ie the two I released most recently are projects that I started work on half way though last year, the ones I'm writing now will release next year

5. almostvoid

almostvoid Member

that is phenomenal. impressive. I take for-ever-. the last one though was over two thousand pages. the plot just kept on bifurcating. well actually its the brain but still --- the current third is going in all directions. plot is there. I just love adding sub plots but not as diversions more like convolutions as other players stumble across the main game and cause more problems. which can end disasterously for either the main players -by being written out---surprise! or get derailed and face even more difficulties. and so the stories go meandering along. then I write prequels - intro's to intro's because not quite satisfied with the intro. my first book had three. the current finale has about four. given there are four plots as well. One just isn't enough. I want the readers to have more than just one hero or in my latter case heroines [plural] who manage with help to get to what they - mine are usually agents not fighters or soldiers of fortune or bandits- too overdone- or independent covert agitators - up against the megalomaniacs [always males haha]. The ending is truly frightening. [about time too]. BUT enough of my blather. what is your genre? writing? scenario?

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Didn't you have a backlog of books before you started publishing, though? And didn't you start publishing pretty recently? I can see six books a year as a goal, but it's not something you've got an established track record of, is it?

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I did 6 last year - two of which were novellas, and have so far done two novels this year with a third about to drop so i will easily also meet 6 this year

Two of the books I published last year - one novel and one novella were written and edited the year before, both of the books I published this year were written last year, although the proof edits were done this.

the one that's about to drop was first drafted in 2018, edited in early January this year and is currently just back from the proof reader

so yeah 6 in a year is both something i have a track record of in 2018 and a target for 2019

marshipan likes this.
  8. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

This happens in every product category. One of the guys I play golf with works for a coffee company, and he was telling me that their products are all over Amazon, even though they don't sell them there. As I understand it, the thieves were the first to register the products' SKUs with Amazon, so they are the owners as far as Amazon is concerned. They buy the coffee from the company's website, mark it up 40% and seem to do a decent business. One product has 150 reviews. Amazon won't even discuss it.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Well, the book theft is indeed theft (unless the seller is legitimately buying the book from the author and then reselling it?) while reselling someone else's products, after legitimately buying those products, doesn't strike me as theft. It might(?) be a trademark violation.

BayView likes this.
  10. BayView

As long as the products were bought legally in the first place, I don't think there's an issue with someone re-selling it.

If Amazon wouldn't allow the original company to sell their product, that would be an issue. But someone else re-selling? I don't see the issue. The company gets their original price, regardless.

11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

That is the issue (other than the trademark problem). The coffee company can't sell its own products on Amazon, and it isn't made clear that the seller is re-selling the products. In fact, in the 'seller' blurb on the product pages, the seller is identified as the coffee company, with the description copied directly from the company's About Us page.

12. BayView

What happens when they try to list the product? There are loads of people selling identical products on Amazon, so it seems weird to think there's a one-seller-per-SKU policy...

13. big soft moose

Drop shipping on amazon - selling your book at a higher price - is annoying but legit and common

What Earp is talking about sounds like misrespresentation and fraud though - if the other seller is actually claiming to be the company when they are not

Cave Troll likes this.