The end of the world is in 2012!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by writewizard, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

don't you think it's funny that all this talk about the world ending in 2012 started when talk about the movie '2012' started.

All I've heard is that were going to get lots and lots and lots of snow over the next year, then were going to get lots and lots and lots of rain on top of the melt waters then were all going to drown in the water... but personally i think its a load of ****e.

They are just the roomers I've heard, no proof, sorry.

2. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Well, if it happens (which it won't) there's really bugger all we can do about it, is there? I suspect a big boat would be pretty useless. :D

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Who knows, Xe? It worked for Noah. ;)

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

There are so many naysayers on this thread. Denial is not gonna change the future. What’s in the cards for our world is a mega disaster in 2012.

All the major religions of our world, ancient civilizations, prophets, scientists, the History Channel – all these things guarantee the End Times.

5. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Well, if the history channel says it, then somebody dig me a fallout shelter!!:eek:

6. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

No, not a chance. Just because the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, that doesn't mean the WORLD ends in 2012. I suspect that it simply means that the cycle begins anew re. the various factors the Mayans used to create their calendar.

George Carlin would have had a lot to say about the fanaticism and mania surrounding 2012 were he still alive. All that will happen in 2012 is there'll be an extra day in February and London will host the Olympics for the first time in a while.

Oh, and an old fool is still merely a fool; just because the Mayans lived a long time ago, it doesn't mean their predictions will automatically be right.

7. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

While I agree the earth is due for a mega-disaster, I don't buy into the whole prophecy stuff. People have been trying to predict the future since man stood up right, and still no one has any really reliable predicting capabilities.

As for 2012...well since we will be peaking in our solar activity, and NASA is now thinking that we are in for a whooper of a solar storm, there may be some interesting things happen that year. There are plenty of theories flying around out there, from a pole shift, to ice ages, and everything in between, who knows what might happen. Yellowstone is overdue to blow. And there are plenty of things flying around out in space that could smash into us at any moment. Will the world end? Not too likely. Will humanity be crunched down to just a few thousand people? It could happen. It's happened before, some 70,000+ years ago, the human population bottlenecked...why? massive earth changes, floods, volcanic activity, and all those other fun things that destroy the fragile ecosystem we live in.

Of course anything could happen at any time, and if we live our lives in fear that the earth is going to end at any moment, we wouldn't really be living. I say it's better to live each day as if it were your last (though I don't mean committing crimes, and acting wild,) but, just living each day to the fullest with those you love. For that matter, any one of us could get hit by a bus this afternoon and that would be the end of our personal world, so life is short. Don't worry too much or you'll get wrinkles.

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I suppose in 2012 we'll have to start another long count. Or just let it fade away...

10. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

When there's a few hundred thousand years, it's not as late as we might think. It could still be another ten thousand years or more, and it would only just be slightly later than scheduled.

It's like two bits of dust in your house, only your house is massive. What are the odds that they'll hit each other?

Really, people need to stop thinking too much about bad things, they've been predicting them for thousands of years and nothing has happened ;)

11. Xeno

Ah, but Noah only dealt with a big flood. The world didn't 'end' as such. ;)

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

1) Major religions of the world derive their prophesies from ancient religions. (See #2) And as far as I know, most religions claim the world is in for a revolution, but not necessarily an end so specific as to the year.

2) How many ancient civilizations claimed the world was going to end before 2012? And we are still around.

3) How many prophets have been wrong before? Point proven.

4) I dont know a single scientist who believes the world is going to end in 2012 --not even the radical ones.

5) The History Channel's original programs are usually based on controversy and secrecy --most of which have to do with religion, little of which has to do with history. The History Channel is a business, and they will do whatever they can to bring in more viewers.

MY POINT:

The world was here thousands of years before you were born. The world will be here for thousands of years after you die. There is nothing special about this time period, and the world is not going to end anytime soon.

What bothers me the most is that something will happen in 2012; there will be a small meteor shower or there will be an eclipse or a world leader will royally screw up, and so many people are going to read into that and spread panicked lies. Another thing that frustrates me is the fact that people believe the world will end, but have no idea how it's going to happen, when it's going to happen (other than the year, that is), who or what is going to bring it to its end, or why. People have their ideas, but people are usually wrong.

Things happen, but it doesnt matter. The earth is a massive piece of rock that has been around for billions of years. People are infinitesimal and are not going to cause its end, are not (entirely) responsible for global warming (do some research. The earth warms and cools on its own), and blahblahblahblahblah. The world will continue on after our race dies out, plain and simple. We're not that important.

How many world-ending "theories" have we had? THOUSANDS. And we are still around.

People thought the world was going to end when Ronald Reagan was president. There were established associations convinced that he was the AntiChrist, and that if he only shaved his head, the number 666 would be revealed.

...And we are still around.

People are going to be pretty embarassed when 2013 comes around. Until then, I will continue to grow more and more irritated. Ugh.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    You had me going up until History Channel. Your sarcas-fu is great.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Try billions.

The current estimite is that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, via carbon dating.

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

@Lemex --whoops. Earlier in the thread, I also use the words millions (for the earth) and billions (for the sun, which I think is over a billion years old, but I'm not actually certain at the moment). In this context, I use thousands because I dont know how long we'll be around in the future.... I just know it's not likely to be in 2012.

I suppose either way, the point gets across. It's a long time. :)

16. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's actually 4.5 billion years old.

17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It was a large typo, it's 4.6 billion, sorry. :D

Sorry Mercurial. :)

18. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Yes, the Earth is over six-thousand-years old. But will it continue past 2012? It is the greatest question of our time.

19. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Here I was thinking the greatest question of our time was whether Mauricio Rua could beat Lyoto Machida for the UFC LHW belt any time soon...

20. Xeno

Find me one truly reliable scientist who can guarantee the 'End Times' and I'll end my 'Denial'.

Because, no offense, but that's the only thing out of that list that I'd believe would carry a hint of truth.

21. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Oh my goodness! Was it really 2012? :eek: LOL!!! Well, I take it all back. We are doomed, people. Dooooomed. :cool:

22. Xeno

For peace of mind, take Cogito's post count as being the end time. :D

23. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Do not forget the greatest scientist of them all

[​IMG]

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This thread has now degenerated into a pissing contest over religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.