The Fear Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marcelo, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I'm afraid of anything with more than four legs. Which is a huge shame, since my flat is currently being invaded by hundreds of beasties. I woke up the other night to find baby spiders crawling all over me. I've consequently written about five chapters of my novel since then, as sleep has become a distant memory.

I'm not keen on the dark, or what lurks in it.(see above and below)

I'm terrified of Aliens, like in the film. Actually, anything by HR Geiger pretty much freaks me out.

I'm scared silly about killing or injuring someone. When you're training to be a nurse, it really does become Worst Case Scenario, and knowing the many hundreds of thousands of ways your negligence/actions can lead to a death freaks me out big time.

Anything man made and mechanical freaks me out as well. I had a panic attack on a ferris wheel once, my friends made me go on it, even though I knew I'd be terrified. I spent the entire duration of the ride clutching onto the pole in the middle, face white, screaming 'letmeoff,letmeoff,ohmygod,letmeoff' at the top of my lungs. I don't do bridges, airplanes, elevators, towerblocks, underground trains, fairground rides, anything like that. I'm also terrified of diggers and other big construction vehicles.

The other thing which really scares me is being in a room when a washing machine is on spin cycle. I don't know why, but I'm terrified of it. Oh, and microwaves. I've got one, and I think I last used it in February. But that's a rational fear, since when Ii was eight, my parents microwave literally exploded in front of me.

Finally, I'm scared of emotions and what they can drive people to do.

2. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Giant spiders and psychopaths.

Psychopaths a little more than the spiders, cos at least with the spider it's probably nothing personal if it eats you, it's just hungry.

Unless it's a psychopathic giant spider. o_O

3. Sabih Omar

Sabih Omar New Member

I am afraid of height...acrophobia

4. SAN

SAN New Member

Spiders. I loathe the little monsters. Did you know spiders shed their skin? If you find a 'dead' spider with its legs sticking straight out in front, that's not a spider, it's their SKIN. A BIGGER spider is somewhere around.

Some spiders live as long as 30 years.

In the movie, Arachnophobia, the 'lead' spider was real. It was a bird eating spider from Brazil. They live on banana trees, and their venom can kill you in a couple of minutes. They can also weigh as much as half a POUND.

I thought learning about spiders would help. It didn't.

Crowds bother me, being surrounded by people I don't know. They are just too unpredictable.

The dark. Yes, I know, it's stupid, but I have to have some kind of light source at all times. I have an electronic eBook reader that I use to walk around the house at night with, or when the power goes out. I also use those 'fake' candle thingies - the ones that you can use as air fresheners?

The ones I have stay lit for 3 hours before they automatically shut off - more than enough time to fall asleep, hehehe. The lights are amazingly like candlelight. They even flicker!

Demons. I won't explain that, it would take too long.

5. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I went bowling the other day and realized I have a very strange and extremely irrational fear. I was going to get my ball out of that thing that returns them and all I could visualize was the machine going into overdrive and hurling the ball at me resulting in instant decapitation. The Dude abides not.

6. SA Mitchell

SA Mitchell New Member

I always have to back up 5 to 10 feet when the ball comes back. I get this image in my head of the 15 lb. ball rolling over my hands and flattening them. I'd call that more of an absurd precaution then an irrational fear though :p

The only things I would say I've ever been afraid of were heights and spiders(original, I know) until I moved to central Texas and was introduced to the Wolf Spider(one of the least threatening but ugliest creatures on the planet) and hiking. Now I wouldn't say I'm afraid of any specific quantifiable entity

7. FairyTales&Whiskey

FairyTales&Whiskey New Member

Being burried alive. Warm beer. Richard Nixon. Growing up. Dying in this town.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

At least your fear isn't as bad as mine. I'm scared to throw the ball when I'm bowling because it makes a loud noise and I'm worried that I'll break the floor. :rolleyes:

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't worry about that, Hidden. I;ve actually had my fingers stick in a house ball, causing it to come sailing down on the ball return cover with a loud crash. I survived the embarassment. :redface:

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I was on a date once when I was 16 and I bowled, then went for my second turn and threw the ball again...before the thing that pushes the knocked-down pins out of the way was back up.:redface: I think that's what start my phobia of bowling...I didn't bowl again for like five years.

11. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Fire, from nightmares.

Weird thing is my favorite things to paint and look at are light sources. Including fire. I just freak out if there is real fire in front of me.

12. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I'm afraid/anxious of several things:

-Bees
    -Meeting new people
    -Public speaking
    -Being in crowded places
    -Getting lost
    -Swimming

...Hm. Yeah. o_o

13. Camdyn-Swift

Camdyn-Swift New Member

Oh! So many fears.

-Airplanes/Heights
    -Alligators
    -Sharks
    -Lobotomies
    -Elevators
    -Getting a lobotomy from an alligator on the elevator of an airplane while sitting on a shark
    -Eye Surgery
    -A co-dependent, reverse-split-flip lift (Bad experience...lots of pain)
    -Ending up alone
    -The schizophrenic that chased me off of the metro in France
    -Catching on fire
    -Drowning

:) I think there's more too...

14. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I have a little bit of anxiety issues so public speaking, meeting new people, and people in general used to scare me. Then I realized that it is way easier, and this is going to sound callous, to treat people like objects when I'm speaking in public, at a party, ect. I look at them like NPCs in a computer game, each has a different set of likes/dislikes that I have to tailor my conversation to. Now I think speaking and socializing is a fun little game when I get bored of my solitary hobbies.

/ I do treat people like real people when I get to know them, by the way.

15. kellie

kellie New Member

fire.
    i am INSANELY afraid of fire. i don't even let my family light candles in my house.

16. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I am afriad of being silenced, being alone when I am elderly.
    I also am terrified if I wake up and the closet door is open. I never, ever, go to ber with it even cracked. Go fiigure.

17. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

I have an abnormal fear of aliens...

18. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I fear going deaf and/or blind.

19. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I'm afraid of being pulled out into deep water by a current. It's kind of a specific fear, but there it is. That's why I doubt any force on earth or heaven could get me into the sea willingly.

Similarly, if a body of water has a problem with seaweed or its ilk, that's one body of water in which I'll never set foot.

20. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I had a cracker the other day.

i was lounging about feeling ill and sorry for myself, and was watching a television programme called 'Primeval', which is Saturday evening dinosaur based rubbish with bad acting etc... but still rather enjoyable.

This particular episode had giant prehistoric spiders. I was curled up on the couch with the pillow half over my face at the scene where thousands of them start dropping onto people's heads and biting them...

... and a spider fell from my roof onto my hand!

I can laugh about it now, but OMG, I'm sure I've got more grey hairs since that moment. I couldn't have moved faster if someone had stuck a rocket up my backside.

Just thought I'd share. :)

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

One of my number-one fears is when my whole family is asleep, and I'm not--as if often the case, because I take forever to fall asleep and take forever to wake up--and I want to get a glass of water, so I basically run to the kitchen, try to make as much noise as possible (although little enough that I won't wake anyone up) and run back to my room. It's not that I'm scared of the dark, because I can sleep in a pitch-black room and feel fine. It's just the idea that I'm the only one awake, and in horror movies there's always that one awake person that gets murdered..... It's what I IMAGINE to be in the dark that scares me.

Another idiosyncrasy of mine is that I can watch a scary movie, like the Grudge, and think while I'm watching it, "Oh this is stupid." But after the movie, I start to freak myself out, because I keep thinking, "Okay, that thing is gonna get me", which is ridiculous. I usually freak myself out at night because of that. Again, it's what I imagine in the dark.

One other thing is the myth of the Witching Hour, that myth that between midnight and 1 AM, spirits are at their strongest. I usually stay up past 1 on summer nights, and I've made it this unspoken rule that no matter how tired I am, I don't move from the living room until 1:01 AM. It's ridiculous, and a myth, because I live in virtually the safest place on Earth where nothing bad ever happens and you can count the horrors and bad happenings in my town on one hand. But yet I still don't budge until that time.

What I love about myself, though, is I'm game for anything. I'm not scared of heights or fair rides or skydiving--if anyone suggested anything remotely like a physical challenge, I'd be the first to go. But Fear Factor-y stuff, like eating bugs and letting spiders (ugghh, I have severe arachnaphobia [sp?], you wouldn't even believe) crawl on you, NO. BIG RED X.

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

oh my god, was it a real person? Or just a vivid dream? We've had our garage broken into--twice--but never the house, thank god. My dad has this really big machete-style knife in his drawer, just in case.

That's another fear of mine, all those little noises in the night. All the creakings and knockings and all that nighttime noise. Usually it's just the neighbors coming home or the house settling down, but my first thoughts are usually "omgintruderhelp!" and then when I realize I live in a Virtual CandyLand Where Nothing Bad Ever Happens, I settle down.

And my final fear is having someone break into my house, while I'm the only one awake especially. There are a few on here about someone forcing the door open to their house, breaking in, etc. What really freaks me out are those security alarm commercials (the ideas in them of break-ins, not the actual commercials) where the parents are out and the daughter's alone and all of a sudden, the hooded figure kicks the glass doors open and the alarm goes off. That kind of stuff. But, once again, Virtual CandyLand.