1. bhshravankumar

bhshravankumar New Member

The First Rule of happiness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bhshravankumar, Jan 4, 2014.

Interest and memory are twins.it is easy to remember the things in which we are interested.the first rule of happiness is “Be Interested” when you are interested you will have a good memory.when you have a good memory it is easy to work with your sub-conscious mind.remember the whole secret of a happy and successful life lies in two words “Be Interested”,its the first rule of happiness.

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    cydney likes this.
  2. bhshravankumar

bhshravankumar New Member

Are you not happy?
    Are you in search of peace of mind?
    Are you a procrastinator?
    Are you suffering from anxiety or similar disorder?

It is clear that you want to change something or come out of your present situation if you say yes to any of the above questions.But make sure, whether your conscious mind is giving the answer or sub-conscious mind?

What is the Difference?
    its simple,when you are hungry you will eat,but if you are not hungry you may not be interested in eating.

Lets get back to the first question

Are you not happy?
    if you say yes,is it because of you are not happy because of a situation [or] you are not happy with the way you are?if its the situation you are not happy with then your state of happiness will change with the situation.
    We generally commit one mistake,we take serious decisions like forming a new habit,changing something in a state of mind but we fail to achieve it because of we are in a different state of mind when we are supposed to work on it.

Example
    when we decide to wake up early in the morning we are in conscious state,but in the morning we are in sub conscious state so we usually fail to wake up early because we don’t remember what we have decided in other state of mind!.

The First Rule of happiness
    Interest and memory are twins.it is easy to remember the things in which we are interested.the first rule of happiness is “Be Interested” when you are interested you will have a good memory.when you have a good memory it is easy to work with your sub-conscious mind.remember the whole secret of a happy and successful life lies in two words “Be Interested”,its the first rule of happiness.

cydney likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If I'm constipated, I need more fiber. Once I'm no longer constipated, I am very happy.

Therefore, a high fiber diet is the first rule of happiness.

Seriously, this is fortune-cookie philosophy. I could probably make a better case that the first rule of happiness is to live in the now, rather than bemoaning the fact the past is gone, or living in anticipation of the future.

First I would have to see proof that there IS a first law of happiness, that there aren't as many keys to happiness as there are people to seek it.

4. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

The second rule is never talk about happy club

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

That's my stance, right there. I try to not dwell on the past or look to the future. I find that doing so only fuels a sense of discontentment. Once my future retirement funds become my present income, I might well have cause to rue my present way of thinking, mind you. ;)

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I think the first rule of happiness is not to look any further forward or backward from right now. Looking backward fosters regret, looking forward creates stress and worry. Find the good in the here and now and you will always be happy.

cydney likes this.
  7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

In my view happiness is about being content, and content is the lack of want. Not wanting more, and not wanting change. JJ and Cog have a similar view.

8. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

I think, you can be happy and want things at the same time. But the things you most want, need to be within your own power to get. For example you can want to finish your first draft and be happy working towards that.

9. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson New Member

Warning. Potentially pretentious sounding reply forthcoming...

The first (and therefore only) rule of happiness is that it shouldn't be governed by rules. "Your life is yours and yours alone. Rise up and live it."

*Places hand over heart and sheds a silent tear.*

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think the first rule of happiness is to seek happiness where it actually is. As Ramana Maharshi writes, "Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside."

cydney likes this.
  11. cydney

cydney Banned

This is a cool thread. Really enjoyed reading the replies. Lots of good thoughts.

I think it helps not to take things too seriously. (a rule I often break) AND I also like the KISS rule - keep it simple stupid. :)

I've had a hard time taking folks seriously lately. But maybe that's a good thing!