The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

No-one's protected. Every person we meet has their own burden.

I am reminded of the Robin William's quote that I have seen on so many memes: Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind—always.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

There may be a solution for this (although 'install an app that will bombard you with ads' isn't it), but in what universe did it make sense to the designer of the Android keyboard to place the apostrophe on the numbers menu rather than with the QWERTY menu? I'm considering no longer texting with people who use commas as apostrophes.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Hold down the X, bruh. At least on my android.

Earp likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

It's above the "k" on my Android device... (mind you, my Android device is a Blackberry with a physical keyboard)

5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Yes, and before the internet, telephone companies used to publish annual telephone books. Then along came web sites such as 411.com that allowed you to look up telephone numbers on-line, and physical telephone books became an historical anachronism. Having succeeded in eliminating the printed competition, the free on-line telephone look-up sites then ceased to be free, with the result that it may now take a half hour to find a working telephone number for the William Johnson family half a mile down the street from your home.

And when I was young, Ma Bell (a.k.a. AT&T) actually had operators whom you could call and ask for a telephone number. IIRC, local directory assistance was free and we had to pay some nominal amount for long distance directory assistance. I'm pretty sure the telephone companies don't have directory assistance any more, and they probably don't even have operators.

Earp and Rad Scribbler like this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Absolutely, but...

I wonder what the percentage of households that even have landlines anymore is. I'm fifty and none of my friends back home do. My dad does, but my stepdad and my (late) mother each had their own cell phones. There may well not be a phone number associated with 742 Evergreen Terrace anymore.

7. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

I'm in my late 50's and have both a landline and a mobile phone. The reason that I have both is that in the area where I live, trying to get a signal for the mobile phone is nigh on impossible sometimes. As SapereAude mentioned, the last time I saw a printed telephone directory was years ago when I was still living in South Africa.

8. Earp

Thanks. That works. Whether I can get the people I text with to use it ...

Probably a separate whine, but you'd think that the ten minutes I spent trying to find an answer would have found that. Seems like search is rapidly becoming unusable.

ETA: Cross-thread - TMW you come back to a thread a day later and realize you never clicked on Post Reply.

9. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

The last time we had a landline, of the few calls we received half were from someone looking for someone other than us, and half from someone who didn’t speak English, which leads me to believe they too were looking for someone other than us.

10. Earp

This one's mostly for @SapereAude :

"He trusts that given your deep experience, you will be able to propose something that is both very light and very heavy in your next submission."

11. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Thanks, but I'll keep my ad blocker and tracker protection. It's highly unlikely there will ever be something I want or need to know on Twitter. If there is, I'm sure someone will tell me about it.

12. Earp

OK, sorry. It never occurs to me that there are people who don't want to know things.

13. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

There are indeed folks who aren't interested in basing their practical and intellectual knowledge on information gleaned from social media. Count me in as one of them. ;)

14. Earp

Yow. What I considered to be a thoughtful offering of a funny thread about the profession I thought/knew another member was a part of, turns into a full-out snarkfest.

For the record, I don't have a Twitter account, and I'm pretty sure I don't base my practical and intellectual knowledge on anything but, you know, practice and intellect. I do link to other peoples' Tweets when the spirit moves. I also have linked to articles at The Huffington Post, and if there's a honest word on that site, I haven't seen it.

15. Catriona Grace

I had to look up "snark."

"Snarky" is used to describe speech with a specific emotional tone, typically a form of sarcasm informed by cheekiness and a mild, playful irreverence or impudence. When the dominant intent of the communication is to express or convey direct or judgmental rudeness, the sense of mild cheekiness is lost and the overall communication crosses the line to become "snide."

Okay. Now that I understand the term, I will admit to being snarky, but don't think I toppled into snide. The little blue winking emoticon was employed to indicate a mild, playful irreverence toward social media. I'll try to be clearer about my intent next time. ;););)

16. little miss impatient

little miss impatient Banned

Someone stole close to 200 onions from my allotment today.

I know it's only onions but months of hard work went into growing them.

I hope they make the bastard cry, or preferably choke.

Seven Crowns, Set2Stun and evild4ve like this.
  17. Catriona Grace

Oh, that sucks. Really sucks.

I'd hardly call this First World Whinging.

little miss impatient likes this.
  18. little miss impatient

It's only onions at the end of the day but it has been reported to the local police. It is theft after all. Not that there's anything they can do really but they ask that all thefts be reported.

There's nothing I can do about it either so, I came in here to have a whinge about it. :D

Catriona Grace and Rad Scribbler like this.
  19. Catriona Grace

Given the price of fresh produce right now, 200 onions might constitute felony theft.

20. Homer Potvin

$34.85 red 25#
    $31.43 spanish yellow 50#
    $53.45 white jumbo 50#

Think I spent about $900 total between 6 stores last week... it was a slow week.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  21. Catriona Grace

Have I mentioned lately that I love you, Homer? You know all sorts of cool stuff.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

But how many did you steal from PD's allotment ? :D

Seven Crowns and Catriona Grace like this.
  23. Homer Potvin

Only what I could carry, which wouldn't get through a hour service. Onions are heavy. 200 onions? Red onions are about 8oz, yellow about 6oz, white jumbo 14oz... I'd need a truck for that.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  24. Homer Potvin

Only food stuff... after coding 150-200 invoices a week for a decade, you learn a few numbers.

25. little miss impatient

Crikey! Over here they're about 50p a bag. If they were those prices I'd be a bit more miffed.

And yes they would have been heavy. They had just finished drying but a good half were six inches in diameter. I had to lift them and put them out to dry, they were definitely more than one person could carry.

Homer Potvin likes this.