The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

So it turns out that the bus driver for the women's group I go to on Monday nights has only gone and gotten a full time job! This is partly a self-centred whinge because I can't drive and the group is a 90 min walk (3 hours round trip) up the motorway in the evening/night time. On the other hand, I feel sad, cos I liked the driver we had. :pity:

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

No-one really says that?! Tell me you're making that up! My granny lives in Ilfracombe and every time we go for a walk, we always have to look at the beach to see what the tide's doing.

I'm glad the schools have gone back, too. I volunteer at a National Trust property and we're getting far fewer kids now. They always worry me - scuffing their feet on the 18th-century carpet, poking 500-year old cabinets, moving the holly off the chairs so that they can sit down - once I had a kid pick up a box and try to prise it open. He nearly gave me a heart attack!

And whenever someone has a cooking fail, my granny always mentions the time she tried to make jelly and used one square of jelly and the full quantity of water, then was genuinely confused as to why it didn't set!

3. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

After not rp-ing in a long time I have now found myself in a veritable flood of them, I'm gonna host one, and I'm playing in two of them as well now! And my brain is all like 'writing??? what are we doing this for? Who are all these people? I have to reseach 1920s New Orleans and a 60s pub!' and generally having a little tiz.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

If someone asks you "how are you doing" just tell everything ever happened to you.

If they leave during the first hour you just keep on telling and telling and...

After that they try to avoid "small" talk with you. And everyone else tries too.

Horrible.

You can die if you must be without sauna more than 2 weeks.

Wellcome.

Beware old and grumpy Finnish grannies.

But if you don't then you should train a bit first.

"Follow the instructions..." What does it mean? Is it some kind of religious ceremony?

I have heard confused people reciting something like "Read the Manu Al, Read the Manu Al, Read the Manu Al..." I never understood what they meant. Who is this Manu Al? How can you read someone? Do you "read" they nonverbal expression or what?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Moon and Cave Troll like this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

No, no. They're just talking to a guy named Al, and telling him to read the manu. "Read the manu, Al!" This comes from a long-held belief that the secrets of life are in the Manu, and only Al knows the language. What they don't realize is that Al is just drunk.

6. flawed personality

So thanks to the rather sudden change in weather, it seems I will have to get a pile of heaters much sooner than I had anticipated.

I only have night storage heaters in my flat, and I am on the ground floor on a cold wet island.

ETA: In actual fact, I should've been prepared for the turn of September. I keep forgetting that I'm not in Kansas anymore. :rolleyes: :(

Some Guy likes this.
  7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

First pick seat, second point heater at feet, third, throw blanket to cover all. Leave hole at feet for heater to blow into. Mmm, very warm.

- Domestic Survival Tactics, Section II, #7

flawed personality likes this.
  8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I need to find a round kitchen table and an easy chair at an affordable prize somewhere nearby so moving them to our apartment won't be too difficult.

Or buy both from Ikea and have them delivered to our door cheap, but I wouldn't want to buy them new because I've been seduced by the go-green-recycled-used-gems bloggers of the internet. :bigmeh:

9. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I'm going to the dentists office today for my broken tooth as I need it removed. However, this isn't a visit to actually pull the tooth, no, that would be a Happiness thread post. Instead, I'm going to the dentists office to sit down and talk about when I can set up another date for the tooth extraction.

I may have stopped swearing, but Hades ice cold balls this dental visit is annoying.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Just mail him your tooth so he can extract it at his leisure. It would save you a lot of time and hassle. o_O :D

Moon and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If you are doing it properly you should just get a cable reel

Mink, minstrel, KaTrian and 1 other person like this.
  12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea::supergrin:
    Dentist.jpg

13. flawed personality

I just discovered that the effervescent vitamin c tablets I bought no longer have zinc included. Damn it! :bigmad:
    What food has zinc in? :confused:

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You could eat a galvanized steel swingset, that does.

[​IMG]

Some Guy, Mink and flawed personality like this.
  15. flawed personality

I love that I can never quite predict what responses I will get when I make posts on here. :D

[​IMG]

Mink and Cave Troll like this.
  16. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I was listening to Matt King on Pandora a while back and a track from Caro Emerald made it into the mix. I realized two things listening to that track; I kinda like Swing Jazz, and they don't really do horn sections anymore. What do we have to do to bring back the horn section?

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I don't know - most tracks I listen to have horn sections. I love Caro Emerald.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  18. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Horns have become more subtle. They're a bit like what bass used to be—something you don't overtly notice but miss it when it's not there.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Oysters and grains.

20. flawed personality

I fucking hate my flat, because:

1-No matter how much time I spend with all doors and windows closed, and run around with the duster and the hoover, I still have spiders in my house.
    2-I also enjoy earwigs, woodlouse, moths, crane flies/daddy long legs, regular flies, wasps, and mosquitoes. (Thankfully not all at once, but on some sort of seasonal rotation).
    3-I have also had rodents.
    4-I have no way appropriate way of drying my clothes indoors, as I have a broken washer-dryer, and no money to replace it.
    5-Because I live on the ground floor, I get a lot of moisture on the outside walls, which creates damp inside.
    6-My doors and windows are poorly fitted, which makes the flat cold, as well as encouraging damp and mould.
    7-I have no freezer, which means I live off of mostly tinned and dried food, as I don't live in the town and can not drive.
    8-This flat is the place where my daughter was taken away, and where I was arrested (under the Mental Health Act).
    9-Above the back door, on the inside, there is a crack in the paintwork. When it rains, water drips from it.
    10-The heating in here is mainly night storage heaters. 2 in the living room, although 1 is broken, 1 in the hallway, 1 in the bedroom, and a fan heater in the bathroom. There is also an electric fire, which is noisy and costly to run.
    11-There is no carpet anywhere in the flat. the floors are wooden, and the bathroom is stone tiles.
    12-The hot water pressure in my flat stopped working about 1 year ago. As a result, it can take upto a full hour just to run a bath, as I can no longer use the shower.
    13-There are no fire blankets or fire extinguishers in the flat. There is also no carbon monoxide detector.

Justin Thyme, Mink and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Cave Troll

Korn has a very prominent bass in their music,
    where as in Slayer I am kinda thinking that Tom
    Areya isn't even plugged in, but just looking cool
    pretending to play. :p
    (That is my theory anywho).

But if you like a bit o' brass...:superidea:

Also try Ska, it incorporates brass too. :p

22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I assume you are renting - if its a council flat take that lot up with your local councilor (not points 7 or 8), if its private speak to CAB about the responsibilities of private land lords

23. big soft moose

multivitamins (and spinach)

24. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Wow, that sucks. :( Do you think you could find another flat elsewhere in your price range? Maybe something newer cos your flat sounds ancient... and miserable... and not like a sustainable solution either. Couldn't imagine living without a shower or in a perpetually damp apartment! (I've lived in a wooden low rise and it got so cold in winters cos the windows weren't properly fitted, plus the door always grew frosty on the inside :rofl:).

25. Cave Troll

Get an old swamp cooler from the 70's. ;)
    It does F-all in the dry heat of the summer hear,
    but it does make the air hot and sticky. :p
    Though adding large homemade chunks of ice
    to the water does help a little in cool the air.