The First World Whinging Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

The digital clock in my car always keeps exact time. You might think that's great, but I had a meeting in another state about a year ago and was working off my car's dash clock. I had oodles of time according to the clock, so I stopped for lunch. It was set to NSW daylight time and I was heading to a meeting over the border in QLD. I had to be there at 2pm NSW time.

I ended up being an hour late for my meeting. QLD doesn't have daylight saving, so I knew the clock was an hour ahead. EXCEPT, as I crossed the border, I didn't notice that the car noticed and adjusted the time to QLD time and I ended up at the meeting at 2pm QLD time (3pm NSW time). Damn thing was too clever by half and it was tied into the GPS (hence the exactly right time all the time, wherever you actually are).

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That sucks. :friend:

3. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

My favorite soda (Cherry RC cola) is getting harder and harder to find. The corner store that I `ve been getting it from has now stopped carrying it. No idea how i`ll get through the winter,

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Haunt them with this little bugger until they meet your demands. :p
    Creepy Cat Walking.jpg

5. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I`m having nightmares tonight.

6. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

It feels like I can never do any fucking thing correct or at the very least be fucking awesome at one fucking thing. I either suck or moderately okay at things. I can story tell but can't fucking write, can play games, but can't kick ass in them. Unless they are RPGs and I can overpowered.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Breathe, my dudeness... I got your six :D

8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

He's giving the finger paw, right? :)

ETA: Also, @Kinzvlle 's not the only one having nightmares.

Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  9. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I can't find proper cherryade in cans or small bottles anywhere I look. It's all in those giant bottles for parties, and I've got nowhere I can put one of those. There's cherry coke, but that's not quite the same.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just discovered that when the Kindle Paperwhite battery wears out, there is no way to get a replacement. Got this info straight from the horse's mouth, via a Kindle-related 'chat' on Amazon. Nope. Gotta buy a new device.

This is outrageous! There is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with my Kindle, which is about 5 years old. It's just that the battery loses charge more quickly than it used to. What a waste of resources. (And hassle for me. I'll need to switch all my stuff over, and buy a new case for it as well, as the old one won't fit the new model—I checked.) I'm really angry.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

As a former technician and advocate of tablets, I think it sucks when product fails. Anything thin has a 'LIPO' battery that is too thin to last longer than two or three years, so you must've taken really good care of yours. The battery in the Kindle is likely glued in place so that the unit doesn't flex and crack the screen. Think doublesided duct-tape from hell. It usually destroys the thing to peel the battery out of it, so - comsumable. Now, I can offer one hope. if the back comes off, some local phone repair place may be brave enough to find the battery wires and splice a temp battery connection, so you can at least get your stuff back. We used to 'frankenstein' arms and legs and bits and pieces to laptops to temporarily revive them. If it truly is the battery, then theoretically a battery of similar spec could be wired in and wrapped to the unit, for a few weeks(?). It's all a gamble, but survival is the game. I've only ever heard of extended waranty to a max of three years. I'm amazed you got five, but it still sucks. :)

12. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just sayin'

https://www.newpower99.com/Amazon_Kindle_Paperwhite_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/amazon%20kindle%20paperwhite.htm

Cave Troll and jannert like this.
  13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Fixing screens, we used to soak the internals in a bath of anhydrous alcohol and then apply gentle heat while working between the glued bits with guitar picks. Used to get almost everything, but not quite.

14. jannert

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. jannert

I haven't actually lost anything ...and you don't with Kindle anyway, because everything is stored on the online account. It's just that I have to keep charging it up more often than I used to.

That's why I will continue to have desktop computers for computer work, as long as they continue to make them. I don't want the battery charging hassle. Okay, so the PRAM battery does eventually die, but that's usually when the machine is obsolete anyway. My husband ran a very old G3 Mac desktop that did eventually need the PRAM changed ...which he did. But I've never had to change one on any of mine.

Same reason I don't use 'cordless' anything, including vaccuum cleaners, hedge trimmers, etc. Been there, done that. The battery charge is pathetic, and the batteries do need replacing much more often than I realised. I needed three rounds of batteries to get my whole hedge trimmed, and each battery pack cost £45. And they lost their ability to recharge after only a few years. So ...back to the corded ones.

16. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Ain't that the truth.
    I've got a cordless tree trimmer, basically a miniature chainsaw at the end of an 8ft pole, that takes an entire day to charge... and in return gives me about 30 minutes of chainsawing time, if I'm lucky. It's never a good thing to be in a rush to see how much tree trimming you can get done in 30 minutes.:)

17. jannert

18. jannert

Yeah, I bought a wee cordless hoover a while back—before I got smart. Not only did I need to keep it ON the charger all the time, but the battery didn't last ...and it didn't do much of the house before needing a recharge. Useless. It went in the bin.

19. Iain Sparrow

I do have a corded electric lawnmower, which works wonderfully... but of course you have to make sure you don't run over the cord with the lawnmower.

Kinzvlle and jannert like this.
  20. jannert

Yeah, we use corded lawnmowers as well. Have never had a mishap with them. However, I HAVE managed to cut through the cord on my hedge trimmers, not once, but twice. (One of the reasons I went for the cordless variety ...till I got fed up with THAT picnic.) Probably because the colour of the cord blends into the hedge, etc. Last year I got some red electrical tape and wound it onto my cord, so it looks like a black and white candy cane. That keeps it visible. So far, so good.

Seems it would not be beyond the wit of Man to design a hedge-trimming cord that sort of contrasts with the hedge, rather than blends in? But hey.

21. Earp

I bought a corded electric a few years ago for my small yard, but after a couple of seasons went back to gas. It cut fine, but the cord was a lot more hassle than I thought it would be.

22. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Pretty sure, back in the days when I could make a whole five bucks a job, my dad provided me with dinosaur burners. They charge up pretty quickly, and if you don't feel like working that week, well, a little bit of water fixes that in a hurry...

What's the statute of limitations on minors destroying family property again?

Iain Sparrow, Cave Troll and Kinzvlle like this.
  23. Iain Sparrow

I agree, it's a bother keeping the cord out of the way. But as I live downtown and don't have a garage or shed to store the lawnmower, and my yard is small, an electric lawnmower is perfect. It's also really easy to clean up, even when the grass is wet.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  24. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

I heard the EU has had enough of this sort of thing. Apparently the are introducing legislation against products being engineered specifically to be disposable. Tablets smartphones and the like.

25. Earp

Oh, yeah, that'll work.

Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.