The Flame of the Crimson Rose

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Honorius, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

"You still got that rock? I never got a good look at it."

Nathan's expressionless facade melted at that comment, and a slight grimace came across his face. "Yeah, do you really need to see it?" He didn't really have any intention on bringing out the stone. But still moved to open his bag. I'll let him look, but not touch. I'm protecting it.

When he turned to pull it out, he noticed Caleb watching them, watching him. His grimace fell into a full out frown.Kid, you give me one good reason to kill you and I will. Without any hesitation. He pulled out the stone and felt the tingle come back up his arm again. It was rather comforting, and loosened him slightly. Only slightly though.

"Here it is. Don't take it." He gave Cole a look that said he would knock him off this ledge if he did. "I know how fast you are, but I'm trusting you not to. Kay?" He maybe put his trust a little far, but he knew that this kid could possibly lead them if he had to. Nathan wanted someone to follow, but not anyone. He had the patience to wait for them if necessary.

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

"I know how fast you are, but I'm trusting you not to. Kay?"

"I'm not that fast," Cole said as he leaned over the rail. He looked over at the stone, but didn't even move toward it. Nathan was definitely a creep, but he had might as well keep it as much as anyone. Paranoia has its benefits.

"I'm just a regular guy," turning his gaze back to the group below, he tried to make himself believe his own words. "What about them? Do you this group can do it?"

3. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"Do you think this group can do it?"

"Yes! I think we're up to it! And no that wasn't a power! thats just the benefit of not being completely deaf!" Caleb blurted out at Cole, who's comment had drifted to Caleb's ears.

"Now Coles a tricky one. He's a bit of a hot head, but I think his hearts in the right place. He seems to be able to move unnaturally fast, or maybe it was just the prospect of mars bars that enticed him to move faster then a Leopard!" Caleb joked.

"What do you think about the others Addi?"

4. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

"What do you think about the others Addi?"

Caleb's energy was infectious, Addison found herself grinning despite what the day had brought so far.

"I really don't know. Everyone else is so quiet, like Adam. Susanna seems really sweet for sure. Still it's hard to tell what everyone's like, especially right now, people act differently after monumental events."

Her thoughts began to drift subconciously towards Gage, and her grin slackened. However with great effort she forced it away, she didn't want to break down again, at least no in front of everyone again.

"So, whats your story, Caleb?"

5. Evil Flamingo

Nathan put the stone back into his bag, not wanting to keep it out any longer than he had to. He just lied to him and he could tell, the look on his face was the one he's been gioven his whole life. It was the face he had recieved when they told him it would be okay. There's wasn't anymore buying it. "Don't tell me bull, your a bad liar, so just stick to what you came up here to say. It doesn't sound good on you anyways."

Then Nathan's face turned darker than before. "No...no I don't think we can make it how we are right now. We're far too divided. And I'm sorry that I'm not helping it, but I can't find myself trusting that kid down there. There's too much going on behind his mouth." Nathan whispered these words to Cole. He didn't need them to be heard. "What do you think he's planning by talking so much to that girl?" Nathan found his second person, he could maybe, just slightly trust. But that's as far as his trust would stretch.

6. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"So, whats your story, Caleb?"

Caleb laughed, "I asked you that question first, before I was tackled to the ground by a chocolate obsessed soccer star, but ok I'll roll with it."

Caleb stroked an imaginary beard.

"My tale begins 17 years ago, when I was born to a family of Aliens. Because I was freakishly deformed by their standards, they shipped me to this planet, and put me up for adoption so I would fit in. I have since lived with a wonderful mother and father, and my brothers and sister. I am a writer, although I am so spontaneous that an idea can't stay solid in my head for more then a week before its replaced by 'Night of The Killer Calamari!' Or something similiar. I have a largish group of friends, i like people, and generally think the world is a tub of flowers and idiots. Nice idiots, many of whom I like, but nevertheless idiots."

"Your turn Addi."

7. losthawken

"What do you think he's planning by talking so much to that girl?"

"Tonsil tennis for all I know," Cole grimaced. He didn't like being called out lik that even if he had stretched the truth. "and don't take me for some freak. I'm fast but not not supernatural fast or anything. I just want to be a regular guy, I don't think a three minute mile is that wierd."

Sighing Cole looked back down at the others below. "Listen, how about you just worry about keeping that stone safe and sticking nearby, and I'll worry about getting everyone on the same page. Deal?"

Cole was still unsure about Nathan, and was even more unsure about uniting such an odd group. But he was certain that that stone had to be kept safe, and that meant that he needed Nathan on his side.

Cole extended a hand-shake toward Nathan.

"Do we have a deal or what? I need to go find some more food before I wigg-out again."

8. Evil Flamingo

And then it happened, something Nathan hoped someone would do to him. Cole shot his own distrust right back at Nathan, but saw what need to be done. And Nathan really couldn't approve any more. He took his hand with a smirk, and shook. "Deal."

With a nod to Cole, he got back up o his feet. It was time for a little patrol. Now he had Cole on his side, and in the way he wanted him to be too. Plus he didn't have to try to wrangle up the kids, that really couldn't have made him happier. Nathan stretched his arms up, taking notice of his previously injured arm. It didn't hurt whatsoever anymore. He looked down at Susanna, and smirked. I know your secret. Well at least part of it. The second part of that pulled a little at his mind.

9. DustinTheWind

DustinTheWind Active Member

"Who wants sugar?!!"

Sam looked up from his sketchbook. Those were the best words he'd heard all day. He hadn't eaten a proper dinner yet, just candy and chips at the game session. Plus, that run earlier left him starving. Still, there were probably some here who hadn't eaten at all, so he had better let them go first.

Plus, if he needed to he could make his own.

A few minutes later, he closed his sketchbook and walked over to where the sweets had been announced. "Hey Caleb, right?" He was never sure if he remembered names properly. "Is there any of that food left?"

One glance at the scattered empty wrappers answered that question even before Caleb could speak.

"That's alright. I can get food of my own." He walked back over to where he had been sitting and flipped to what he had been drawing in his sketchbook: a loaf of bread. After making sure no one was looking, he pulled it off the page and took a bite. It was food, yes, but it was dry, heavy, and stale. He sighed and wished he had brought better quality pencils.

10. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

"My tale begins 17 years ago, when I was born to a family of Aliens. Because I was freakishly deformed by their standards, they shipped me to this planet, and put me up for adoption so I would fit in. I have since lived with a wonderful mother and father, and my brothers and sister. I am a writer, although I am so spontaneous that an idea can't stay solid in my head for more then a week before its replaced by 'Night of The Killer Calamari!' Or something similiar. I have a largish group of friends, i like people, and generally think the world is a tub of flowers and idiots. Nice idiots, many of whom I like, but nevertheless idiots."

"Your turn Addi."

A laugh escaped her lips at his ridiculous intro. Something about Caleb just made you want to smile.

"Well no wonder Nathan is paranoid of you, you're an alien." She joked her eyes lighting up slightly. "Well my story isn't nearly as interesting. I happen to be very boringly human. Born 16 years ago to an idot workaholic 'father," her fingers sketched air quotes around the word, "a wonderful mother and an..." her voice hitched on the next words, "an...amazing...older brother. I moved here when I was 8; told people to start calling me by my last name shortly there after and got some nice friends, though some are a little on the shallow end. I also realized life is one huge judgement and there really aren't that many great people in the world, only a small handful which sucks, but what can you do?"

11. Evil Flamingo

"I also realized life is one huge judgement and there really aren't that many great people in the world, only a small handful which sucks, but what can you do?"

Nathan heard this and laughed to himself. What do you do? You push the bastards out of your way and walk right over them. He smiled and walked back around the loft looking for something useful.

12. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"I also realized life is one huge judgement and there really aren't that many great people in the world, only a small handful which sucks, but what can you do?"

"Ah the unfortunate truth that arises as you grow up. I remember the days when I assumed all adults were clever, simply because they were older. Now Im familiar with concepts such as extremist religions, and racism, which many older people brandish as weapons, and I realised that a lot of older people were not very intelligent."

Caleb paused at the end of this sentence.

"Addi I think I just went through an entire sentence without a joke. I'm losing my edge, I think I'll sharpen it on Nathan. Hmmm... that came out wrong, anyway I've wasted a lot of your time, perhaps you should go talk to Sam. He just conjured food out of thin air."

Caleb then rose with a groan, winked at Addi, then meandered towards Nathan.

'You like her,' Caleb's heart seemed to say once more.

'Shut up.'

'You really really like her.'

'Shut up.'

13. Evil Flamingo

Nathan was already facing the back wall when he heard his name called out. Ugh...I don't want to talk to him, but I must. And I thought it was Cole's job to bring this group together. Irritated that his little happiness had just been stripped away, he cringed. But then he turned stolid again and faced the latter. He knew who was coming, but not what it was about. Nathan really didn't care. But he new that some things just had to be tolerated, and some people watched. This might get him close enough that he can keep a good eye on Caleb. Time to face the...music...

14. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"Nathan!" Caleb called, knowing that the mans reaction would be negative at best, and fatal at worst.

He climbed the ladder, and came face to face with Nathan. Caleb looked at the ground briefly, and when he looked up, his face was as joyous as ever.

"Let me explain why I act like I do. Three reasons, One; it is a coping mechanism for what is happening. Two; I enjoy it. And Thirdly, and most importantly, it acts as a coping mechanism for the rest of the group."

Caleb took a step forward, still smiling inanely.

"Addison was damn near suicidal and comatose when we arrived, and I've managed to get her functioning again, and found that she is a very charming and likable girl. I know you were talking about me, with Cole, I know some agreement was made, I know you don't like me, and now I'd like to know why you do nothing apart from think yourself above everyone else, and bring the others down with constant negativity, despite your own intentions being to help the group" Caleb said, his smile remaining despite his deadly serious tone.

15. Evil Flamingo

Nathan's face turned as if a pungent flavor had just tipped off his tongue. "Son, I'd go back down that latter if I were you." He was being far too nice, but he had to. He still gripped the steel pipe tighter in his hand, though. "And I'd continue doing whatever it was you were doing, if it's working for the others. Just leave me be." He could reason some of what Caleb was saying, but the insult just wasn't going to do. "And if you haven't noticed, I've been thinking of everyone else the whole time. Now do you really want to piss me off? or do you just want to be able to keep that smile on your face and make the others happy? If your useful to us, great! If not, don't get in my way, or cause trouble." He meant every word he said. He makes one false step and this pipe's tearing a hole in his face. I'm already mad and tired. Don't make me violent.

16. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"If not, don't get in my way, or cause trouble."

"So what you're effectively asking me to do is to back away and rely on someone who would like nothing more then to bludgeon my head in with that steel pipe. Then eat my brains. No. I don't think so, I think that perhaps you should drop the whole tough guy routine, and calm down. Your getting damn irrational."

All humour had drained from Caleb's face for the first time. He knew the deadliness of the situation, he was dealing with a violent man who hated him, and who also held a weapon.

He moved his face closer, until he could feel Nathans tepid breath.

"I am not trying to aggravate you, nor am I insulting you, I only want what is best for this group. And Im not backing down until you calm down"

17. Evil Flamingo

Nathan didn't blink, he stared with his hard, piercing eyes. "I find no reason to calm down in this situation. And I'm not bothering anyone anyways." He gripped the steel pipe tighter, white-knuckled. "And I do want more than to crush your skull, if there's use for you."

"There is no act here son, I've always been a tough guy, I was raised that way. I've been through more than I want you to know, and I can't help how I feel."

And then he thought of something else, a little less useful, but completely true. He turned away and strolled around while saying it. "I just really don't like you, but I'm tolerating you. I'm not turning people against you, and if you haven't also noticed, I don't bring in crowds to my side anyways."

"As for deals against you as you mentioned earlier, there are none. Our deal was for me to protect the rock and for him to rally the group together in the morning. Nothing against you. All I want to do is follow, and follow silently."

And then he walked straight back into Caleb's face, with a fury unseen before in his eyes. "But in this situation and in all that has happened, why would you want someone like me to calm down? Why would you want the silent protector to lay down his guard and not think of what the group needs, at least physically. You're an idiot for thinking so, and if you weren't mentally helping some people, I would have no problem maiming you and leaving you to whatever hell comes here next."

He loosened his grip slightly and turned back over to the water to check on it and drink some. His head burned with rage, he was holding it back with desperation. He almost lost the battle in his head there.

18. Lebby

Lebby New Member

As Nathan walked away Caleb laughed.

"Perhaps I want you calm because in a scrap I would rather A calm collected man, with a steady hand, and a clear mind, rather then a twitchy pshycopath, who would like nothing more than to kill me."

Caleb's eyes hardened.

"My entire family is probably dead, and I have lived with them every day of my entire life. And I love each of them more then you can imagine," Amazingly tears began to well at his eyes, "Not to mention the dozens of friends of mine who are most likely swimming up **** creek without a bathing suit. Judging from your introverted nature, I would wager you have a lot fewer people you love who are DEAD, and so just imagine what I am going through right now."

Caleb wiped the tears from his eyes, regarded his wet finger with interest then flicked the sorrow away.

"It been a pleasure speaking to you Nathan, good night."

With that Caleb nimbly slid down the ladder, and walked off.

19. Zigg

Zigg Banned

As Caleb landed, Kaz asked him a question.

"What do you mean, 'a lot fewer people you love who are DEAD'. Oh, and sorry for eavesdropping." he said.

He was confused, and that dude was not making it better by shouting stuff that confused him. After all, why would anyone else have more relatives die? And how does he even know they died? They could have been saved, or survived or... He didn't know what.

20. losthawken

"Hey Sam, where'd you get the bread?" Cole appeared suddenly in next to Sam. Shifting his feel slightly, he tried to restrain his savage hunger. "Do you have any more? I'm starved..."

Cole hadn't gotten to talk to Sam much yet, but the sight of the bread re-awakened the hunger Cole felt. He was beginning to remember now how he had felt this way before too, once after the infamous soccer game, and then later whenever his arm had been sore, like it was now.

Sam seemed like a good enough kid. Even if he wore a dorky hat.

21. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"What do you mean, 'a lot fewer people you love who are DEAD'. Oh, and sorry for eavesdropping."

Caleb managed a smile, although he didn't feel up to it. Thinking about his parents had once again bought up emotional agony.

"Nathan said that he had been through stuff I couldn't dream of. And whilst I have no doubt that is true, I don't like the fact that he was implying I have never gone through pain. Ive lived with my family my whole life, Ive never moved out, never gotten the chance to grow independent, so if they are... dead," Caleb choked on the word, "It is far more painful. Also I am very sociable, and have dozens of mates, whilst our friend up there, seems somewhat anti social. So logical conclusion, he only has a few people he cares about who are gone, I have a whole city state."

Caleb brushed past Kaz, then turned back briefly, "Oh and, its no problem. I eavesdrop all the time."

He then walked quickly over to the rest of the group.

22. Evil Flamingo

Nathan heard his name and listened very intently to what stream of senselessness would come out of Caleb's mouth now. And then he heard something that would have made him swing that pipe a few minutes ago.

Chance to grow independent

His knuckles whitened and his teeth clenched down on his jaw. His face contorted to an image of disgust, yet he still faced the water as if nothing had been said. Then he thought to himself. Independence. He doesn't even know what that is. He doesn't know the strife of being forced out, the pain of causing accidents that changes lives forever. He doesn't know what it is to be the center of hatred for the masses. Independence is nothing more than self-inflicted pain. It is cruelty to one's soul. So help him God when he finds his independence, because I sure won't.

His anger eased as he drank more water. Then Nathan decided to crawl down the latter and look around. He didn't hardly turn to look at anyone while he passed them, except Cole and Susanna, but only for an instant. What else could be useful in here, maybe there's some blankets somewhere that they can sleep on, even if they're just packing blankets. He needed to think objectively to relieve his mental stress.

23. Lebby

Lebby New Member

Caleb gave a sharp whistle.

"Adam!"

He then strode purposefully towards the shy youth.

"Hey mate, I can't help but notice that certain patterns have emerged regarding certain abilities that certain members of the group certainly possess. And I can't help but think that Bob Bobson was smarter then your average guy, and perhaps he knew about, because I doubt he would save completely defenseless teenagers to protect an almighty rock. Although he says we aren't special, and he could have chosen anyone, point is, he choose us, and half of us happen to have powers. Cole seems to be able to move incredibly fast, I just saw Sam conjure food out of thin air, I can read minds, amongst other things, and i felt the begginings of a strange ability developing in Nathan when I entered his brain, so if you don't mind me asking, do you have a power?" Caleb asked what was perhaps the longest question he'd ever asked.

24. losthawken

In the midst of his conversation with Sam, Cole her Caleb mumbling something about him being fast. 'Oh come on, its not that big of a deal!' he thought to himself. he shouted over his shoulder as he continued to eye the half eaten loaf of bread greedily.

"Its not a power! I'm not that fast!"

25. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"Its not a power! I'm not that fast!"

Caleb laughed, "Is no ones conversation in this warehouse private!? Do I have to talk behind sound proof glass before I can be guaranteed privacy?"

He then pulled his last chocolate bar out of his pocket, dropped it on the floor, then shouted, "First one to get here gets the chocolate!"

'I wonder if he'll take this as a joke, or if he'll bolt,' Caleb thought mischeiviously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.