The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

OK long story short, they all wake up and it turns out all the previous series have been a virtual reality game. They watch in on the next group playing it... the next group have an amazing time, get the ladies/ lads and live happily ever after... cue overwhelming depression because they did everything wrong.

EDIT: that was meant as a light-hearted remark I then had to explain, not an indictment on your gaming skills.

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Damn...you'd think if anyone could get a lady, The Cat could.

Pinkymcfiddle likes this.
  3. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I dunno how clear I made it by the way. But relationships (beyond comradery) in games is something I just cannot get used to. I find it incredibly strange and an odd direction for (the now defunct) Bioware to keep going in. Don't get me wrong, I want to like the pixels I am surrounded by (via a little effort in terms of script and animation), but romancing them seems so odd. It is an entirely unnecessary part of gameplay for me, but perhaps I am out on a limb on this one? Who knows?

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  4. obsidian_cicatrix

I get where you are coming from... and to some degree I understand where fans and Bioware are coming from too. I think it depends how and why you play the game to begin with. I've noticed that committed players generally fall into two categories, those like myself who assume the role of the main character using every snippet of obtainable info to add to my understanding and appreciation of them, and those who use the player character as an avatar of themselves. Bioware are merely responding to demand, as they see it. There's no doubt that there is demand and it is a roleplay game after all.

In my second run through with Scott, I made what many others players considered a very dubious choice when it came to his love interest. Buuut... I didn't choose that NPC for any other reason other than I thought that relationship would have the biggest potential for a HUGE conflict later down the line. I play with my writers head firmly on. I only wish ME writers wrote with their writing heads on too. ;) So, from my perspective, the sex thang is more a chance to dial the narrative stakes up a notch. Still wondering what a nekkid Turian looks like under all that armour though. I can't help it, I'm curious by nature.

Pinkymcfiddle likes this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Still playing Fallout 4. I haven't been this consumed by a game in many many a year - hence my lack of poetry and general activity round here of late.

6. obsidian_cicatrix

I'm curious, being something of a heavy gamer myself, do you ever use gaming to further your writing? Of all the various forms of media I'm exposed to, games top the list in terms of where I find inspiration, much more so than reading. If I need to describe a Hansome cab, rather than Google up a pic, I'll load up AC Syndicate and give it the full 360. I can even have the driver take me a specific route, giving me a chance to see what my character might be looking at through the window, or what he might be hearing. If my character gets caught in a storm, I can stand in a field in Witcher's 3 Velen, or on a rocky outtcrop on Skellige. If I have earphones on, the sound quality is so exacting, my body gets momentarily fooled into thinking I'm standing right there, goosebumped and shivering, water tricking off my hair into my eyes. If I need a description of forked lightning, I need only wait for it to strike.

The fact I'm a gamer gives my writing a sensory component that it probably wouldn't have if I wasn't.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;)

7. OurJud

@obsidian_cicatrix - I can't say I do to be perfectly honest, but then the only creative writing I'm doing of late is poetry, and I'm not doing much of that since discovering FO4.

I can see your logic, but I think a potential problem could be accuracy - if that's something important to your writing. I think attention to detail, especially of the past, is often of secondary importance to game developers.

8. obsidian_cicatrix

That goes without say... if they can wing it, they will. I would never go ahead and commit to specific detailing without fact checking. Mostly I'm looking to envelope myself in a certain ambience, and if a game isn't doing that convincingly, I have no reason to draw from it.

OurJud likes this.
  9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Dmc was dirt cheap on Steam and I wanted to play something fun, so I bought it. So far I've enjoyed myself. :D I haven't played Devil May Cry and am in no way attached to the old, white-haired Dante, so I don't mind the new version. In any case, I mostly care about the game play, which is fun. After Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3, it's actually quite refreshing to play something that feels like taking a holiday. :D

10. obsidian_cicatrix

Wasn't sure whether to stick this link here or in the Music thread but since non-gamers aren't likely to recognise the two themes I've squished into a 2 min loop, I thought it best to stick it here:

And yes... I do realise my timing is off and the guitar is slowly slipping out of tune but I was too busy counting bars and figuring out the arrangement. This was recorded by sticking my grandson's tablet in front of one of the P. A. speakers so don't be expecting studio quality. It gets better as I move away from the loop pedal and toward the speaker. Cheers in advance if you give it a listen.... I may be a solitary muso but it's nice to have my inept fiddling heard nonetheless.

Lewdog likes this.
  11. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not sure what game it is from... but of course I'm not that big of a gamer anymore. :superagree:

12. obsidian_cicatrix

Ta! I'm gonna do the perfectionist recording later tonight. :D The kick off melody is 'Kaer Morhen' and I've wound that around a stripped back version of 'Merchants of Novigrad,' both from The Witcher 3 soundtrack.

Lewdog likes this.
  13. isaac223

isaac223 Senior Member

14. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Welp. That's more games than I have on my computer and all three consoles I currently own. I salute you, good sir.

15. Adenosine Triphosphate

Probably gonna get a Wii U soon. I wasn't going to buy one, since I already have the Switch, but my friend said he'll give me his for free if I get a controller for it. Time to play Twilight Princess in hero mode :bigsmile:

16. OurJud

Playstation Store currently have Gran Turismo Sport for free on a timed period. I was going to give it a try until I realised it was a 70gb file and would take 8hrs to download o_O

17. Adenosine Triphosphate

I've been playing Wind Waker HD with the Swift Sail. It's amazing how much the game improves when you can travel faster & don't have to change the wind every three minutes.

18. OurJud

Picked up Gran Turismo Sport today cos it was still on sale at the Black Friday price. I asked the guy if it was biased toward online play and while he admitted it was, assured me I'd be good to go if I was only interested in single player mode.

Turns out that while there are single player modes, you're probably getting about 40% of the full game this way. In a nutshell there's very little to do in this game unless you're into online gaming.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow see if I can get a refund.

19. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

I want to get Elder Scrolls Online now that I have my new gaming laptop and all. Has anyone on here played it, and if so did you like it? I've played the heck out of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, so I want to give ESO a shot.

20. OurJud

I played Skyrim for a while but then started looking for something along the same lines with a more modern setting, found Fallout 4 and never looked back.

21. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

It's good so long as you go in with the right expectations. It's an MMO first and foremost. I know people who love the lore the most, and others who really like the gameplay. I personally found the interactions with all the races to be the most interesting. It has a lot to offer provided you're either a big fan of lore or MMO games. That's been my take on it.

22. 8Bit Bob

I LOVE the lore of The Elder Scrolls, so that sounds perfect! :)

Laurus likes this.
  23. Laurus

There was (and may still be) this ongoing debate in the community about whether ESO is canon. I'm pretty sure it is canon as verified by both Bethesda and Zenimax, but yeah, there's some great new stuff in there. Ever heard of the Tamriel Vault? It's an ES and Fallout community with a shit ton of lore in it. Examinations, debates, all that.

24. 8Bit Bob

I'm pretty sure it's cannon. A lot of people don't want to believe it's cannon, but that doesn't mean it isn't :p

No I haven't, might be worth a look though ;)

25. Laurus

True! I used to be super prejudiced against Argonians, but ESO showed me the error of my ways. That's something you could put on a sticker on the cover, use it as a selling point. I've heard nothing but good things about the Morrowind expansion too, though I think that's an extra $40 on top of the base game.