The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Ah, but then you might have to leave your chair.

Kinzvlle and Mish like this.
  2. Mish

Mish Senior Member

Not necessarily. The best thing about the Switch is that you can use it anywhere.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I forgot about that feature. What's it like in portable mode?

4. Mish

Mish Senior Member

It's great! You can play a lot of great games on the go or places in your home that don't have a TV.

Some great old classics have recently come out on the Switch like "Amnesia trilogy", "Doom3", "Resident Evil4", "Ni no Kuni" (among others) and you don't need the TV anymore to play them. The "Witcher 3" is coming to the switch in a couple of weeks. I finished it once before, but wouldn't mind doing another round on the go, provided the switch can handle it.

Osprey and Kinzvlle like this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’ve never liked Nintendo’s consoles. They always seem to be 10 years behind on the graphics front.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  6. Mish

Mish Senior Member

Nintendo is the only way to play Nintendo exclusives. Also, apart from seriously behind mobile phone gaming, Nintendo is the only way to play good quality triple A games on the go.

7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I play BOTW and Hyrule Warriors on my PC using an Xbox controller. I also have Mario Kart 8, but I never really play it.

Mish likes this.
  8. Mish

Mish Senior Member

That's pretty cool! Are you using an emulator?

9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Yep. I'm using Cemu for my Wii u games and Retroarch for everything else. There's a Switch emulator in the works, but it's still spotty and I dont feel comfortable borrowing digital dumps of games to play around with it.

Mish likes this.
  10. Osprey

Osprey Member

Started Ori and the Blind Forest last night since it's finally available on a console I own. Only got about ninety minutes in but early impressions are pretty positive. What a beautiful game. And it just feels really good to play; the controls aren't as tight and precise as something like Hollow Knight (my current gold standard for best-ever metroidvania) but your character is responsive and has an ease of movement that is just really fun.

11. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

That's a really cool game. I never finished it, but the graphics are beautiful.

Kinzvlle and Osprey like this.
  12. Osprey

Osprey Member

Seconding this. I agree that Nintendo hasn't been a leader on the graphics front for many years but the Switch is a really neat little device. I don't see it as a competitor to the Xbox or Playstation; to me it's more like the best Gameboy ever that you can also play on your TV if you want. I've said this before but I really believe the Switch's mobility makes it the best place to play all the great indie games that are on the market these days. If you're an old fart like me who pines for the oldschool game mechanics of the NES/SNES that you grew up with the Switch and its indie library are pretty awesome.

13. OurJud

Still playing and loving Snooker 19. I’ll go for something frantic like a shooter or racer occasionally, but these days there’s nothing like getting back to a relaxing game that doesn’t require reflexes.

14. OurJud

Tropico 5

EFMingo likes this.
  15. Osprey

Osprey Member

In other tales from my indie backlog: I picked up Mark of the Ninja Remastered in the recent Switch eshop sale. Apparently this was an Xbox live arcade game from 2012 that I completely missed the boat on. Imagine if, in the old Shinobi arcade game or Ninja Gaiden for the NES, you actually had to, oh I dunno, be a ninja, i.e. creep around in the shadows and use stealth. That's what this is. I've never been huge into 3D stealth games because it's so hard to keep track of enemies behind you but in this 2D format it works beautifully. The levels are a series of cleverly-designed stealth puzzles, always with multiple solutions; you can leave a trail of bodies in your wake or you can sneak through without killing anyone, and your character is suitably agile and ninja-like. Recommended.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  16. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Listening to this song last night lead to me download Deus Ex: Human Revolution onto the new gaming laptop (HP Omen) still love the game. Remind to buy Mankind Divided soon. Close enough to December might wait and see if it gets looped into a Christmas sale.

17. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Did anyone play Disco Elysium yet? I think it's brilliant. Basically a text/dialogue heavy RPG set in what seems to be some kind of alternate Earth. It's a really strange beast. But yeah, five hours in, I'm loving it.

18. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I'm hearing good things about Death Stranding, but I'm not convinced as of yet. Still seems like a hiking simulator.

Kinzvlle and OurJud like this.
  19. OurJud

The gameplay looks amazing, but doesn’t it always? I love the movement of the character - the way he changes direction, the labour in his gait as he’s climbing up embankments etc.

It does look like a slow burner, but that’s always been up my street - even more so as I’ve grown older.

20. OurJud

I’ve been playing a lot of Cities: Skylines recently, but I can’t master the road system and the traffic becomes ridiculous. It’s starting to feel more like work than a recreational pastime.

21. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The movement does look fluid. Game-play wise, I'm wondering if the lack of combat might actually be refreshing. Especially in a world where (almost) every game is shooty-shooty-bang-bang. Gets tiresome. Even for this young bastard.

Still conflicted, but I'll most likely pick it up.

OurJud likes this.
  22. Kinzvlle

Anyone here play The Outer Worlds? It looks good, Fallout/KTOR style rpg from a company that has made a least one of the each of those games. Even heard it has a big firefly feel to it, which after plans for Firefly's actual video game fell apart is a draw. Will probably buy it, want to get around to playing Lisa which has been sitting in my Steam library for a while first though.

23. OurJud

There's no wondering for me. I much prefer games in which you choose your own path, pace and play style. It's why I still love Fallout 4 so much. The shooty-shooty-bang-bang is there if you want it, but you can play for hours minding your own business.

Moon and Kinzvlle like this.
  24. OurJud

It all looks too colourful and 'magical' for it to spark my interests. Fallout 4 is a great game, but graphically TOW doesn't look to have advanced any. And yes, I know it's not always about photo-realistic graphics, but the character models in this are laughable for a 2019 game.

25. Kinzvlle

You do have to remember, Fallout is a big triple a, series with a giant triple a company behind it. I believe TOW has a bit of a lower budget which may account for things like the graphics. Plus there is something to be said about a bit of whimsy. the game seems to be leaning into a bit of a Borderlands atmosphere which the graphics do help.

OurJud likes this.