The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The crossbow's alt somewhat abbreviates boss fights. I love it.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

You're probably just spending more time than you really need to in searching for pre-built. Building a PC is much cheaper if you just order the parts you need and assemble it yourself. I can lay out the basics for you if you would like in a PM, but honestly, a coupleof YouTube videos can easily suffice. If you go pre-built, costs run up fast usually. And if you're listening to pre-built PC reviews, they are either from the snobs who accept nothing less than outrageous PCs, or from people who simply need to complain aboutsomething minor that you'd likelynever notice.

3. Not the Territory

He might want to wait for graphics card supply to level out, though.

4. EFMingo

There are so many alternative mid range graphics cards available in sales that there's no need. Base it off an older model discount motherboard, support with an i7 quadcore, a couple 8 gig sticks of DDR3, and a pair of SSDs (one small one for the OS and a 512 for everything else) and you're on your way. Combined with the necessary power supply, a semi-decent monitor, standard mouse/keyboard, and a nicely vented box, it could easily be done for under a grand and run those simulators on top line graphics.

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

really? I always thought it would have to cost much more than that.

6. EFMingo

These companies make their profits off of the gaming public fully believing that.

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I may hit you up for parts recommendations at some point.

EFMingo likes this.
  8. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I was a big gamer growing up but barely touch them nowadays BUT I am pretty excited about this remastering of Diablo 2. Easily my favorite game as a youngin'

It seems like that's the new Blizzard business model though.. just remastering all the games that made them popular.

Midlife Maniac likes this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I appreciate the advice here, but all these specs being thrown about may as well be hieroglyphics for all they mean to me. This is what I meant in my original post. It may not seem at all complicated to those in the know, but then it wouldn’t, would it? But imagine a rocket scientist telling you to build your own rocket, and saying, “There’s honestly not a lot to it.”

It might sound pathetic, and you’re fully within your rights to suggest I simply don’t want to try (of which there’s a large element of truth) but I simply want someone (and I’m talking hypothetically here) to link me to a ready-to-go gaming PC and tell me it will do what I require.

10. OurJud

I’ll take a look. Thanks.

£1,749 on amazon. May just go with that, but I need a good wheel set-up too. That’s slightly easier as the general consensus seems to be to go with one of the Thrustmasters.

Night Herald likes this.
  11. Not the Territory

Depends on the objective, but an extra 20% in funds would build for tomorrow instead of today and yield better value per dollar.

12. EFMingo

That's other gimmick that will get you too. I had my first mid range desktop for near a decade before I upgraded it. Ran everything on high end until recently. Spent I think 1100 back then. Now things are a bit more taxing, but my 700 dollar upgrade surpassed it well enough even to run high end taxing title like the total war series without a stutter on full units and graphics.

I simply rarely find the need to superupgrade to latest hardware. Most issues, especially lagging CPU and memory, is due to lack of optimization on the software side.

13. EFMingo

To each their own. I understand not wanting to learn, though computers are by no means rocket science. Only a few components.

That PC looks not bad? Though it could be built for 2/3rds the price without that expensive case. It has a lot modification ability. Though its motherboard looks fairly limited. I think it's quite over priced, but it is ready built.

You're probably right on the wheel set up. Those look nice. Be aware that computer doesn't come with a monitor, and you're going to need a fairly modern monitor to keep up with the graphics card. Probably another 150 to 250 tacked on top. I have a panoramic monitor that I quite like, as it bows around the user. Also handy with writing since I can have three pages up on one sreen simultaneously. Thinking of getting another for a hugely widened view.

14. Not the Territory

To each his own. The performance increase from going mid-> upper mid is clearly worth it to me. I don't think that's a superupgrade. It's like buying an $80 camera versus a $100; you can give up quite a bit of value by spending marginally less. And after peripherals, the mobo/cpu/ram for first time build are only a part of total cost. Then you get a cooler, quieter, more stable system that can go over a decade.

15. OurJud

I’m glad you mentioned monitors - just another example of my ignorance as I’d never even have considered this element. I have an old 32” TV LCD TV that I replaced last year (must be at least 7-8 years old), and just planned to use that. I’d want something pretty big (at least 32”) as I feel it would greatly improve the immersion of a driving sim. Do they even make PC monitors that big, and how do I even know what to look for in a monitor to make sure it can handle my graphics?

16. OurJud

I got myself an Ocilus Quest 2 VR set over the weekend. I want to retire from work and live in there. It’s amazing!

17. OurJud

After weeks of near-suicidal frustration, I finally managed to get American Truck Simulator to play through my Oculus VR, and let me say it was well worth the frustration. It’s not just the 360 degree view that makes it so incredible, it’s the fact everything is rendered in 3D too. I’ve never driven these monster rigs in real life, or even been a passenger, but it’s about as close as you can get to the real thing for under £1,000.

This doesn’t do it justice - you may even find watching it give you motion sickness, but when you’re playing it it’s jaw-droppingly good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

that looks really cool. Can you go anywhere in America or are there just certain sections available?

OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  19. OurJud

Just certain sections unfortunately, and like most ‘open world’ game maps it’s no where near 1:1. I believe the scale is nearer 1:35. Even then the longest haul is going to take you a good 2 hours, in real time, to complete.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  20. EFMingo

Redownloaded and installed my Skyrim Special Edition. This time though, I modded the ever-loving shit out of it. Ninety-seven in total so far and I'll probably add more as I discover things that irritate me with the game or textures that are off. Honestly though, it's like playing a new game. Stunning graphic/texture overhaul, realistic interacting people that look phenomenal and not blocky, better balanced skill trees and spells, and landscape that's just more naturally full. I'm so happy modding is world's easier than it was when I was younger. Now it's just managed by a deployment program of its own that discovers conflicts before you even ever have to start the game. It's a whole new game world for me that I'm excited for all over again.

21. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

Haven't played a game in awhile, but I found my old copy of New Vegas and this part came to mind. Classic.

Madman and EFMingo like this.
  22. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Anyone ever been addicted to league of legends? That was my jam for a long time. Then it became apex legends (must be a sucker for legends). Now it's just writing or discussing writing in my free time.

23. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

S
    So disappointed with the platform version of Diablo 3. It’s just too easy!

24. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I heard someone describe Diablo 3 as "Saturday morning Diablo" and it's perfect haha. Diablo 2 is far superior in every way although I did enjoy D3 for a bit.

25. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

D3 had so much potential. I loved the new classes and the interactive environment, but even at max difficulty, it was just pointless. I’m looking forward to revisiting D2. I’m also considering pre-ordering the new Metroid.