The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

I recommend disco elysium if you want a true epic story adventure. It's insanely creative, like actual writing creative.

Seven Crowns and Night Herald like this.
  2. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

God yes, that game is just fantastic!

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

gór hearts of iron 4 lasy night, bug mistykę man.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Preserving this in case you fix it. Did you get a Russian keyboard or something?

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

polish haha

Xoic likes this.
  6. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Been enjoying Red Dead Online recently. Lot's of fun going around shooting things up to a good soundtrack.

Had a bounty hunting mission where I had to bring in six guys at once. They were all waiting around an outhouse, so I lobbed a dynamite into the outhouse and got them all dead at the same time. Called in my bounty wagon and filled it up. Finished the mission by gently riding into town with a wagon full of bodies.

7. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Gone and gotten absolutely addicted to Mini Metro, on Android. It's one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games, that does a good job of taking a few very simple parameters and wringing a lot of complexity out of them. And because it's a one-player game it's easy to convince yourself that you could totally beat your high score if you took just one more try...

Also love how the in-game achievements are named after 1) whatever the local transit card/pass is called (ie the first achievement for the London level is called "Oyster"), and 2) plays on the city or its transit system name. Like there's an achievement for the San Francisco level called "don't have a cow, man", I assume because SF's transit system is called BART (like Simpson).

8. Night Herald

I seem to have gotten myself hooked on Storybook Brawl, which is what's called an "auto battler". I have no prior experience with the genre, hardly knew it was a thing, but this is just plain and borderline addictive fun. I love the fairytale theme, looooove the illustrations and the flavorful abilities of the characters, which meshe cleverly with their themes. The upgrade/treasure mechanic is bonkers fun. And it's free! I did buy a little bit of premium currency just to support what I view as a noble endeavor.

9. Night Herald

This is a pretty damned juicy month for gaming as far as I'm concerned. Been playing Total War: Warhammer 3 a fair bit over the last week. I've been lucky enough to largely avoid the bugs and performance issues I've seen people talking about. It's fun, it's pretty great, some real quality of life improvements. I haven't sunk too much time into it yet, as there's a distinct sense of more-of-the-same, and I'm not too keen on the factions and their rosters this time around. Still, great game, and I'm probably gonna play it loads.

Elden Ring comes out tomorrow, and I'm tremendously excited for it. There's nothing quite like a fresh FromSoft game, and going by everything I've seen and heard lately this is their masterpiece. I'll be very surprised if it tops Bloodborne for me, but we'll see.

Chromewriter likes this.
  10. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Picked up Elden Ring for my PC a few days ago and it's been an interesting experience. By experience, I mean consistently getting my shit rocked by anything ranging from a dragon 50 yards from the damn start, to a zombie tut tutting around with a stupid ass torch. Such is the life in Elden Ring.

It is gorgeous though, and the combat is some of the most exciting I've seen in gaming. Epic things truly feel epic. Traps truly wreak havoc on you. It's a world of absolute pain, yet I find myself continuously returning to it.

It is, however, a collosal pain in the dick to get a groove going. But now I have it, the game has become quite enjoyable. The dragon is still a terror, but I politely leave it its lake and wander elsewhere. Whatever you do though, be prepared if you open the chest south of the lake. Sheer terror and panic awaits the uninitiated.

11. Chromewriter

I finally finished my 2 month work placement and I am crazy happy I'll be able to play it tomorrow!! :D

12. Night Herald

Elden Ring is amazing. Took me about 20 hours to finally start feeling borderline competent at the combat. 31 hours in now, and I get the sense I'm only just scratching the surface of the Lands Between. I kinda don't feel like actually playing it very much at the moment, though, as I'm already plenty anxious on my own. This new place I've reached is intimidating.

13. Chromewriter

Oh I suck at these kinds of games. It's not that I'm bad at hard games, in reality I'm really really addicted to challenges. But the only problem is that dreadful sense of loneliness you can get some times. That can feel daunting.

Night Herald likes this.
  14. Night Herald

Yeah, I don't currently need video games to experience dread loneliness :D But yeah, there's something really quite oppressive about the atmosphere of these games, the widespread decay and ruination. Elden Ring doesn't give me the anxiety sweats the way Bloodborne did, and it doesn't (always) have the claustrophobia of a Dark Souls, but it's close.

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I saw this video the other day and thought I should share it.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yup. Pretty much sums up why I play video games.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Huh, I'm working my way slowly through F.E.A.R. Extraction Point because the first time I owned that game Mrs. A needed to install Daemon Tools on our PC for her job (web design) but the idiots who sold the game were convinced that any computer that had that toolkit had it only to steal the game and installed a kill switch. Even after we uninstalled it, the game still wouldn't run.

Seven Crowns and EFMingo like this.
  18. Chromewriter

Ok I'm a bit non plussed how elden ring is running on my ps5, i dont think there is an fps counter but id say drops down to 30-40 which is a mood killer for me. Demon souls was way smoother. I may wait out this iteration and wait for bug fixes. I learnt my lesson with cp2077. Which coincidentally should be a lot better and I may try that one again.

19. EFMingo

Yeah...nothing about PS5 or the new Xbox I've found to be super impressive. Made the decision to reinvest in a solid PC and I haven't regretted it. Overheating seems to be the main issue causer in that PS5.

I think those drops are likely more in the system heating rather than the game.

OurJud and Seven Crowns like this.
  20. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I bought a PS3 on a whim today. Spied it in a charity shop and thought why not? I also picked up a copy of Killzone 2 for a couple of quid and if you’ll pardon my French it pisses all over any FPS the PS4 has to offer. More visceral than any of its son’s games has even dreamt of.

Should come as no surprise really, as this was a time when us mugs weren’t the play testers and games were made with love and passion. It even looks better visually, and that’s no exaggeration either.

EFMingo and Seven Crowns like this.
  21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

the new Xbox is pretty nice. Even if the upgrades you get are mostly marginal (it's nothing like the jump from the 360 to the One in terms of graphics and flashy upgrades, obviously), the whole product is far more powerful than its predecessor. Loading screens on games that took a couple minutes on the One S are over in maybe ten seconds on the series X. The new remotes are pretty sick, too. The checkered triggers are super sweet, I must say.

idk, not a must-have, but what video game platform is a must-have?

OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  22. EFMingo

I guess the more of these Xbox iterations I go through, the less I'm impressed by the modernizing of the system. I justremember the jump from Xbox to 360 as being so huge. Remember,that jump had the full utilization of Xbox Live, a massive graphical update to allow games like Gears of War (a beyond its time game as an initial release), and a wholly updated interface that allowed for customization.

The Xbox One at least tried to be novel with its release by coming with the Kinect. Failed mostly, but did make for something new. I just don't see that much new out of the X. It's like an update, not a new thing entirely.

23. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

yeah, but as things progress i think massive qualitative leaps like from the 360 to the One become less feasible, at least in terms of graphics; and the One UI is already pretty good. The 360’s was clunky. I’m glad they were conservative and didn’t try something crazy for the sake of novelty. They could have done some sort of VR thing, I guess?

EFMingo likes this.
  24. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Just finished the Oldschool RuneScape 2022 Easter holiday event.

Soon I hope to do some working and make money toward a nice new gaming PC. I heard prices were dropping somewhat, haven't verified for myself though. Will probably do a custom pre-built because if anything goes wrong I don't want to be out $500+; I'd much rather simply be able to return it and have warranty, have somebody else fix their mistake.

As far as consoles go, haven't owned one for probably 10 years. But I am tempted to get a Switch 2 *if* the rumors are true and they are developing a new console to go along with Breath of the Wild 2.

As for the other consoles, there's just not enough exclusive content to warrant me owning one aside from maybe the Playstations, which I know can play blu-rays (not sure if Xbox can, haven't tried). I have an ever-growing anime blu-ray collection, so that might actually be worth it. Also, some games are just best played on a console with a controller, even though they may not be console exclusive. Sports games, Mario Kart, Mario Party...

25. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

it can

jim onion likes this.