The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Despite the massive critical takes on Cyberpunk 2077, I bought it on a half price sale. It just looked up my alley.

Yep, entirely in my wheelhouse.

I'm only a couple hours in, but I'm digging everything. The gameplay, plot, world, and everything is just outstanding. As with any CD Projekt Red game, it's unafraid to show everything amped up.

But I think what I love most is the immersion. Not only does the world interact around you, but you interact with it in ways I haven't seen before. I'm talking about where you sneak on a seedy apartment for a hitjob, but the old Asain lady comes out and sees you, which terrifies her. Unlike most games where the immersion would be her cowering for an infinite period, or simply making a short scene and closing the door, you can choose. You wave her to go back inside safe, ignore her, or, if you're some sort of asshat, even shoot her because you feel like it. That freedom of interacting with the world around you, even if it doesn't have long term effects, makes the experience more outstanding.

We shall see. I've heard it's notoriously buggy, but it has been some time now. Maybe it has a much better footing.

In any case, I'm hooked. Pretty sure I'll be thinking about it all day until I get the opportunity to play again.

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This game should interest me, but somehow it doesn’t. I may pick it up if I can get on sale, too, but a lot of me is expecting disappointment. I think it’s because I suspect it’s very arcadey.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Not in any way.

OurJud likes this.
  4. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I guess you're playing on PC? I hear the PC version wasn't too bad to begin with, and I'd expect it's been patched up nicely since then. Me, I played it at launch on the PS4... It was such a broken, nigh unplayable mess, and still good enough that I put 16 hours in before finally giving up and getting a refund. I'll probably pick it up now that I have a decently strong gaming rig and it's on sale.

EFMingo likes this.
  5. OurJud

Maybes I’ll pick it up then,

6. OurJud

Why is the animation in games played from a 3rd perspective still so crap? I’m talking specifically about the transitions from walking to running, or from walking/running to a stop? Why, in this day and age, with the tech to simulate complex physics and mo-capping, do these things still look so wooden and unnatural?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I played through Cyberpunk 3 times at 100+ hours each. That was when I was on the couch for 4 weeks after surgery, so plenty of time to burn there. Lots of glitches on the console when it came out, but worth it. Like GTA meets Borderlands meets Skyrim.

Steerpike likes this.
  8. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

Here's how the final match of the World Cup looks in FIFA 22.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Still enjoying the hell out of Elden Ring. I have around 85 hours in it. Not sure what the last game was that I put in that many hours.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I am ready to get into that next

Homer Potvin likes this.
  11. OurJud

Just seen this on Reddit. They’re calling it a ‘DLC-sized mod’ for FO4 but the ‘mod’ thing confuses me. That’s clearly the actor Ray Winstone voicing the trailer, but I thought mods were something the players made, while stuff like this was either payed-for or free content released by the makers?

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  12. OurJud

Picked up Metro: Exodus yesterday. The dialogue and acting is pretty pants but man does it look good, even on my archaic PS4 Slim. Two things I really appreciate about this FPS, and something I wish developers would include as standard; the option to disable the entire HUD, and the ability to lower your weapon to a neutral position at any time.

13. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

I'm coming to the end of Yakuza 6 reluctantly. Like coming to the end of a long series of books, bit gutting knowing that little else exists for these characters...

[​IMG]

14. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

So, Starfield is looking like the game of my dreams!

Take a look at the reveal if you haven't:

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time. It has to be the best game ever, right?

Night Herald, OurJud and Madman like this.
  16. OurJud

It’s pretty good, but I have a real love/ hate relationship with it. On paper it’s a game I feel like I could just lose myself in for hours, but whenever I give it a try I find a strange fatigue and boredom sets in fairly quickly.

17. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I don't know...part of it is that I'm from the West, and my whole life I've seen black and white photos of little towns from the 1890s put up at the county fair or in a museum or on a farmhouse wall. This game lets you kind of get into that world. It's the Americana, I guess.

I was riding into Rhodes yesterday, and all of a sudden the dirt was red and one of those downpours started, and I was like "damn, I'm in the South." And I could almost feel the humid air and everything. I've never played a game anywhere near as immersive. I played a half-dozen hands of poker in a saloon. That's pretty great.

It's mostly a matter of setting and atmosphere. As a red-blooded American boy, this is the game for me; set it in the Lands Between or some shit and I lose interest immediately.

Not the Territory likes this.
  18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

On that note, I've been watching people play some Elden Ring here and there lately. I understand that the Venerable George R.R. Martin (peace be upon him) did the worldbuilding, but it looks as if he may have just scribbled it all down on napkins over the course of several very heavy dinners. It's a combat game, so that's fine, but people have been hyping up the worldbuilding when 90% of it is decomposing fingers. The castles are pretty cool. Whoever did the architecture deserves a Tony Award or something. But the NPC interactions are so lame. The dialogue is really not particularly good.

EFMingo likes this.
  19. OurJud

Oh, I get it. I should love it, as I say. I just don’t and I’m not sure why.

20. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

No, yeah. I'm just trying to explain why I do like it. It's only news to everyone but me though.

OurJud likes this.
  21. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Eight years of playing Civilization 5 and yesterday was the first time an AI civilization has ever used nuclear weapons against me. Didn’t work out too well for the Aztecs, though. By the time our war ended, all their remaining cities had been nuked at least once and fallout blanketed about two thirds of their territory.

Nuclear warfare in Civ is even scarier than the real thing in some ways, because the turn-based structure and impossibility of interception incentivizes first strikes. Thank goodness they didn’t go all-out, which allowed me to wipe out most of their arsenal on the ground.

Set2Stun likes this.
  22. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

Just popping in to share my annoyance of playing two games with very identical controls with perhaps one button difference.

It's a 50/50 chance I get wrong 100% of the time for 2x games. The math checks out.

X Equestris and Homer Potvin like this.
  23. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yep. That was the old GTA vs Call of Duty control sets back in the day. Switch from one to the other and you were throwing a grenade instead of sprinting.

24. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

I've felt stuck in the mud as I press jump and my dude slows down. I'm like, what? Oh yeah, its B in this one...

A is jump. A! Always has been, always will be.

25. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Picked up the whole Luigi’s Mansion series a while ago. Man, this stuff is cool. A whole series dedicated to sucking up ghosts with a vacuum cleaner. There’s so many interactive parts of the environment to tinker with, and treasure to collect. I love how it feels like a joke, with all the cartoon-character-looking ghosts and Luigi’s facial expressions, but there’s some parts that are actually pretty creepy. In a surreal type of way. No blood or gore.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022