The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. apathykills

apathykills New Member

I have both preordered. killzone 2 finally broke me into believing it will be a good game when an Australian reviewer said it was worse then the ability to fly.

as for fear 2... have you played the demo?

O MY GOD.

Scared me ****less.

2. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

That girl in the creepy red dress invaded my dreams a couple of times... and scared the heck out of me

3. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 2 for a while now, and it's awesome! Pretty hard, but awesome all the same. I got Metal Gear Solid 1-3 for Christmas, so I'm basically playing one after the other. I don't, and never will, have a PS3, so I'm planning on watching MGS4 on Youtube. Anyway, I like MGS2's gameplay better than MGS, but MGS's story better than MGS2's. I also wish you could play as Snake the whole time instead of Raiden.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

As I understand it, it's largely the same experience.

5. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

So anybody have a take on scariest game ever made? Personally, I think 90% of scary games don't reach their potential or even come close. Resident Evil 4 was a great game, but not scary. I believe a game can only be scary when your character is too powerless to be much of a threat to the bad guys. You have to fear your character's safety to fear the game. This eliminates Resident Evil, Doom, Condemned and in my opinion even Silent Hill which kind of comes close anyway.

So all that said, my pick for scariest game ever goes to Thief: Deadly Shadows. Still a bit short of terrifying, but the Shalebridge Cradle level (which takes place inside an abandoned insane asylum turned orphanage) is pretty creepy, especially since the game is based around stealth and avoiding conflict rather than engaging in it. When you have to lurk in the shadows as weird pulsating zombie-type critters noisily stammer by, it gets the blood flowing.

6. Banzai

Silent Hill 2 is my scariest game of all time. It's just so immersive.

Closely followed by the original Doom, but that has to be played in the early hours of the morning, with all the lights up, and the sound coming through a 50watt amp.

7. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I don't know where these people are coming from. Yes, MGS has a lot of cutscenes, but it has an equal amount of gameplay, assuming you're not using a guide and don't know exactly where to go and what to do.

8. Banzai

Fair enough. I haven't played it. I gave up on MGS after 2, I think. The story was bollocks, and I didn't enjoy the game.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I like the story (better in MGS1, but still). It seems to me that it's like Lost. Start out relatively normal, then slowly add sci-fi elements until it's pretty much sci-fi. Definetly not for everyone; I see where you're coming from. But I like it.

10. Banzai

It lost me when the arms of dead clones were being grafted onto people so they could come back in later games. I'm sorry, but if you start off with realism, and then go for a ride on the wtf train, then you lose my approval. Also, they abandoned the stealth gameplay, which was the main draw to me.

11. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Lol, I'm a huge MGS fan, and the arm thing made me go a little o_O too... But MGS4 actually explains it in a slightly more rational way.

Have to disagree with them abandoning stealth gameplay, too. It's just harder. :p

Hideo Kojima has said that the purpose of MGS2 was to show players how awesome Snake is by making them play as a noob. Worked on me. And I totally love MGS4. Act 4, to quote someone else - is made of pure awesome. \O/ And if you're a MGS fan, it most assuredly won't be the same watching it on YouTube. :p

12. Jack

Jack New Member

Favorite Gaming Console: Wii (I absolutely love it!)

Favorite Game: Wii play, sports and Rockband <-- Rockband is my number 1 choice

Favorite 80s Game: PacMan! <-- I never get sick of it.

Favorite Type of Game: Adventure

Favorite Time of Day to Play: Night <-- Helps my mood

13. Banzai

Eh, too little too late for me, I'm afraid.

That was a reference to the tranquilizer gun thingy in MGS4 with unlimited ammo. That shot stealth gameplay in the face with both barrels.

14. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

At the risk of appearing like I'm squabbling :redface:, that's a weapon given on the easy difficulty levels... and you don't have to use it.
    (PS, I actually don't like MGS2 that much, either. But my adoration for the first one kept me going back to the later installments).

15. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

How can your favorite type be adventure when you list your favorite games as sports, Wii play, and Rockband as your number 1? I didn't even know people really liked Wii play, I thought they just bought it for the extra controller.

16. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I know it won't be the same, but seeing as I don't have a PS3, don't have a job, barely have any money and if I did I would spend it on a 360, the only option is to play it at a friends house (none of my friends have it) or watch it on youtube.

17. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

But youtube's resolution is ugly. I'm in the same situation probably won't own one for years, but when I do I'll make sure to to get it as it's an insult to kojima if I don't play it and especially on a good TV.

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

On a different topic, I was wondering about something. What do you all think are the most amazing or important games that you think every self-respecting gamer should play at least once? Here's mine.
    (Not necessarily your favorite games, just the ones you think are the best classics or that will become classics)

5. Shadow of the Colossus
    4. Resident Evil 4
    3. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Portal
    1. Half-Life 2

19. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

Your list is pretty good. I'm not sure if you intended us to stick to 5, but I'd like to try 10.

1. Shadow of the Colossus - Unique and infinitely artistic. Unlike any other game out there. Definite classic.

2. Chrono Trigger - I can still enjoy this game because there really aren't any similar RPGs out there. The Dual-Tech moves and the time travelling theme make this game stand out about most others.

3. Resident Evil 4 - Leaps and bounds ahead of an already admirable action/horror series. Very fun shooting mechanics and some incredible exploration and battle sequences.

4. Mega Man 3 - The lengthiest Mega Man game that introduced the slide and a more balanced difficulty level. The series would jump the shark soon after until the almost as awesome Mega Man 9 came out last year.

5. Final Fantasy VI - My pick for peak of the series. Not as wholly unique as Chrono Trigger, but the absolute best in classic turn-based RPG format. Customizable but still uniquely powered characters combine with a massive world and the best villain (Kefka) in gaming history.

6. Hitman: Blood Money - Hitman games are not classics, and so this is likely the lowest quality game I have on this list. These games are unique and memorable though, offering up some spectacular, clever assassinations and some truly fun level design. The only stealth-based game I consistently enjoy.

7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - To my knowledge, the first mainstream game to feature a complex morality system. The system has appeared in subsequent games such as its own sequel, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. All these games are good, and every gamer out there should try at least one of them for the immersive human feel. Personally, I love them all.

8. Ratchet and Clank (Doesn't matter which) - The closest thing we'll ever see to a 3D Mega Man since I refuse to cound Mega Man Legends as such. Unique, explosive weapons combat mixed with humor and cartoon graphics. My only issue with the series is that the games are practically interchangeable. The series peaked with the second. The three following games have felt progressively less fresh.

9. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - Incredibly deep and customizable strategy RPG that somehow makes level grinding fun because the reward is so high. You can level your characters to Lvl 10,000 as well as level up every item in the game. One of the few relatively modern games with enjoyable music.

10. Twisted Metal: Black - A dark and gritty take on the practically dead vehicular combat genre. What gave this game staying power to me however was the intricate story following each of the games characters. Every playable driver has a beginning, middle, and ending cinematic and all are worth seeing. Devilishly fun game.

20. Banzai

Goldeneye.
    Silent Hill 2.
    Splinter Cell.

Those are all I can think of at the moment...

21. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I don't know about games that I think everyone should play, personal all-time favourites that will never be missing from my collection, however, are:

Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Shadow Hearts - Covenant (actually, I do think everyone should play that game :D)
    Burnout 2

22. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I was thinking about getting Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but I also wanted to get Persona 4...

23. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

dragon quest VIII is a solid, addicting rpg if i may so myself

24. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

There's a huge hype over here over Persona 4. I've never played any Persona myself, but I mostly like any type of RPGs. I so need to get a PS2, all the good RPGs of the last generation came out for that.

25. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I recommend it purely based on the fact that, even though it has many elements traditional to JRPG's, I've never played another game like it in terms of the story and characters - it has a wickedly off-beat - and adult - sense of humour.

I'm not sure if that's the one I have or not - mine has the sub-title The Journey of the Cursed King. (It was the first Dragon Quest game released in Australia, so they didn't include which installment of the series it was).

I thought it was a decent RPG, but the fact that every character except the main character ('you') speaks, both in text and 'out loud', eventually had the effect of disengaging me from the story. It kind of felt like ... I was being held at arm's length, so to speak.