The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I think they'll explain more about Songbird in a dlc, so far
    the only thing I'm sure of is that he's a proto-Big Daddy (if you haven't seen yet, the next time you watch the ending look at the tunnel in the background as/just after Song Bird dies). As for dlc, with the shiny new Rapture shown off in the ending, I'm hoping at least part of one of the dlc will be set there

Check that last tag- you've got a \ instead of a / at the end.

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

They had better do something awesome in DLC, I bought the season pass and do not want to be disappointed!

It was really cool seeing rapture again in the ending. I think it would be cool if something else happened there too!

3. Sunny1000

Sunny1000 Member

Fixed my post :-D;;

Pheonix: I don't think they'll do anything with it, I took it more as "fan service" Thought I thought
    the big daddy and little sister were a nice touch if not foreshadowing
    I really can't think of what they will do, I just hope it's not going to be just an "In Columbia" with completely different characters.

I think Agreen is right if the voxophones are safe to rely on. If I remember correctly there was one by Jeremiah Fink to Albert that explained part of Songbird.

4. Jessica Tilley

Jessica Tilley Member

I am a HUGE fan of Bioshock. I loved the first one to death. The second one, it was great too but could have been longer. Infinite, hmm. Great storyline, fantastic twists, interesting ending. I just wish there was more.
    I wish there was more interaction with NPC's. Columbia is so beautiful, yet there is no interaction. Why didn't the NPC's care when we were stealing from their registers? I would have liked it if the NPC's tried to attack when the player tries to steal from their shop or something.
    Too many guns. I used the Carbine and shotgun exclusively throughout the game. It's not that there were so many, it's also the fact that they didn't really differ all that much.
    The Skyhook. Awesome concept, I personally liked it to an extent, but there were a couple of points in the game where it just confused the hell out of me.
    Big fight scene at the end. Where was it? Like back in the first Bioshock when you battle Fontaine at the end.

5. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

I'm looking forward to the Last of US.

6. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Just waiting for GTA 5.

I play a lot of games.

But I've taken a vow off games (Except Visual Novels) until GTA 5 comes out.

...................That and I've played all the games I've wanted to.

7. ECKS

ECKS New Member

I've just finished Dishonoured! It's one of my favorite stories in games as of late. Really captured me. I've been playing RE5, Dead Rising 2, and Torchlight 2 lately. I'm not a big gamer. I don't have the net right now (I'm at the library), even so, I just like long linear single player games with lots of items and a great story. Growing up on the Final Fantasy and Early PC FPS' like DOOM and Quake probably accounts for that.

8. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I completely agree with your "spoiler content". I don't play games so much and I said to myself that I'll enjoy one after the finals. I decided for Infinite because of the trailer. I mean, a floating city, come on! :D The city is really so beautiful that I'm writing a story aobut a flying city now. Hope that's not a plagiarism. I mean, I took only the flying city, the story is entirely mine.
    But after playing it I can say I have never seen a better story. Not in other games, books or movies. Would be glad if someone pointed out something better. :)

9. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Diablo 3 and I'm waiting for The Witcher 3.

10. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

The Sims. I have all the 3 series complete, and my computer maybe doesn't support the 4 :(

TES IV: Oblivion. Skyrim doesn't run here too.

And Marvel Heroes :) The only online game that I play.

Diablo 3 I played a demo that my friend gave to me. (My brother have the full game, and a PS3, and a XBOX, and f*** computer... I think that I need to invade his bedroom :p )

11. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I just got Bound by Flame and FFXIII-3.
    BbF is like the child of Dragon Age and the Witcher though a bit lackluster in many aspects but is a solid modern RPG that's fun despite not good enough to be considered AAA.
    Didn't try FFXIII-3 yet but I played the demo and loved the combat and costume changes. People seem to hate lightning because she's lifeless but I think she's more of a philosophical paradigm than a person (Though I think her emotions are there just toned down as she isn't hyper expressive).

I also got Mario 3D world for the Wii U.
    So cute, so fun with friends.

12. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

I'm waiting for Assassins Creed Unity and the next Deus Ex (which I'm sure will be announced soon), while wasting my time roaming the nooks and crannies of Skyrim. :p

@Poziga have you played Spec Ops: The Line? If not be sure to give it a go sometimes, that one is another game that screwed with my head. Its story is based loosely on Heart of Darkness, but with a hell of a twist.

13. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I can't say that I have. I'll check the trailer, but it'll have to be damn good story to beat Infinite :p

The trailer is good. It's 2k again, huh? :D

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  14. Agreen

E3, the biggest event in the gaming industry, is coming up next week. It's usually the most interesting week of the year for gaming news, especially game announcements. Here's a few things I'm hoping for this year:

The next project from the geniuses at From Soft. I'm desperately hoping it isn't a PS4 exclusive, or at least gets ported to the PC. I don't want to buy a new console and I greatly prefer the Xbox controller, but I find Dark Souls and Demon Souls (Dark Souls 2 to a lesser extent) so much more enjoyable than any other games right now I'd have to get one, especially if Miyazaki is directing it after sitting out Dark Souls 2.

An official announcement for Fallout 4. Preferably with a release date in late 2014.

Persona 5 for PC (I'll settle for Xbox 360), not just PS3.

New X-Com. Make it even closer to the classic games. Not likely this year unfortunately, so I'll settle for actual gameplay footage of the new Civilization in space game.

Another Deus Ex sequel, one that isn't a piece of garbage like The Fall.

Something new from the team that made Spec Ops: The Line. A military shooter, with a meaningful, challenging plot?

A well made, (not free to play cheap cash in) epic strategy game based on the world of A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. How such a thing doesn't exist yet astounds me, and until it does I will have to settle for Crusader Kings 2 and Civilization V mods. Until I can put the hideous offspring of Walder Frey and a Sand Snake on the Iron Throne, I will not be satisfied.

A good survival horror game in the classic Silent Hill vein. Good as Amnesia was, I'm getting burnt out on first person 'run for your life because you're utterly defenseless' horror games.

A new original property with Deus Ex/Dishonored/Classic Thief style emergent gameplay. In a similar vein, a major AAA FPS that isn't a military/corridor/zombie shooter.

For the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age games to not be terrible. Let's just forget that Dragon Age 2 and the last five minutes of Mass Effect 3 ever happened, okay Bioware?

And finally, a decent hockey game for PC. If I'm doomed to never see the Leafs win a championship in real life, at least let me soothe the pain with a virtual Cup.

15. A.M.P.

@Agreen

Beast Souls is the next souls game coming out, I think the original director is on the team but I can't confirm it. Either way, it seems Beast Souls will be either a new addition more closely related to Demon Souls or it'll be a direct sequel.
    Also, Dark Souls 2 is getting a 3 part DLC with the first part coming out on July 22nd (Don't forgot the Majula chest event!)

Currently, I am playing FFXIII-3 and Mario Kart 8 :3
    Though I should finish Bound by Flame soon and get back on Dark Souls 2

16. Agreen

That's what I've heard, though Beast Souls might just be a temporary name. It looks like it has firearms, which is an interesting departure.

The Dark Souls 2 DLC looks interesting, hopefully it lives up to the Dark Souls DLC- Artorias of the Abyss was ridiculously good, the Artorias and Manus fights are probably my favourites in any game. Even better than Ornstein and Smough. My biggest area of disappointment with Dark Souls 2 was the bosses, it has some good ones but nothing stands out like the very best fights in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. In its favour, it has nothing as bad as Bed of Chaos or the Dragon God. Hopefully the Crown series can deliver a Flame Lurker or False King Allant style fight.

I couldn't get in to FFXIII-3, but my brother loved it. I watched the ending for it when my brother got there, and while a bit silly I actually liked it.

Where are you in Dark Souls 2? While it's an excellent game I found it dragged at times, especially compared to previous Souls games. I loved everything after the 4 lord souls, but I found the early game much less interesting than in Dark Souls. On the plus side the multiplayer is much better now, especially for co-op. No more waiting half an hour to get summoned.

17. A.M.P.

@Agreen
    I'm up to the last boss on FXIII-3, loving it. Hard to get into as it's very different from what ypou'd expect a FF to be and on top of that the timer can be rather intimidating for the first little while until you understand more about the in-game mechanics.

I beat Dark Souls like...20 times with a handful of characters. Sorcery or Warrior types, never bothered with hexes and pyromancies (Though I am GLAD they nerfed hexes... OP as hell in PvP due to practically no casting time even with low cast speed)

Compared to the older series, I liked it. There are three major areas of disapointment for me: No cutting off boss body parts (Well some you can but no items) and they all felt rather simple compared to the more varied and aggressive nature of DeS and DaS bosses. The mob density seems very low, compared to the other games where i often had to deal with a swarm. It's pretty much a 1vs1 fight for most of the game. Lastly, scaling bothers me quite as you pretty much need to infuse weapons. I also have a problem with NPCs that don't move or really do anything in-game(unlike DeS where they travelled and eventually turned hallow as you completed their quests) and a few bosses were utter bum crumbs (Ancient Dragon's OP AoE of DOOM(I beat him a few times but basically had to cheese it...) and I hope they patch Vendrick as hugging his butt is a little boring)... The music doesn't stand up as well as DaS which is a shame.

Yeah.. that's more than three but it was a great game overall and there's plenty of playstyles to go for. Though I feel some areas are just too straight forward or simple and the lack of 1080p and the expected lighting system certainly hindered it quite a bit. The game is by far much easier than the others and that is quite the shame as the Souls series is supposed to be about being unforgiving in difficulty.

Though the lore is rather satisfactory and a lot of nice touches were added to certain parts of it (The gutter is a prominant one)

I think I'd have to say DaS1 was my favorite despite being flawed as well in certain aspects but the increased difficulty and better mob placement certainly feels more Souls than DaS2.

RAGE: weak PvPer with 10 str and a dagger staggers when I block with a 20lbs GREATSHIELD! Like.. wtf? Maybe if he ahd take a slap50 str or a big heavy weapon but noooo.... my shield can't and forces me to spread my legs wide open for a critical stab >.>

18. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

At this year's E3 I'm looking forward to Assassins Creed Unity, the next Deus Ex, the next Mass Effect, the Mirror's Edge sequel/prequel and the Borderlands presequel.

19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

E3 is next week? Damn, seems like yesterday it was last E3 and we were being introduced to the X-Box One and the PlayStation 4.

As per my username, I am awaiting news for the next Zelda game on the Wii-U. I have been informed by (totally not Shiek) that there is a spin-off Zelda game called Hyrule Warriors.

This, I shall have to look for. As for the other games? I'm completely in the dark, though I wouldn't mind hearing a bit of news on Fallout 4 and Saints Row V.

20. A.M.P.

@Link the Writer
    Hyrule Hero is a hack and slash game that seems terrible. It's just a link skinned character slashing away at hordes of Zelda themed monsters. I think it's the equivalent to a mod of another game, forgot which one. I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

I am hoping for a remastering of Majora's Mask or a brand new Zelda title.

21. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

So far the only thing I am really looking forward to is the Witcher 3. Ciri is here! Finally, the book series fans are being pandered to. The gameplay demo today looked nice as well, less dodge+roll. It blew Dragon Age: Inquisition out of the water [which makes me sad because that series is truly dead and gone, yet they want to beat the dead horse).

I was relieved Bloodbourne turned out to be a new IP, though Watch Dogs makes me wary of new things and how they are shown at E3, especially with the blatant proof that it was downgraded before release, or secretly demoed on a PC rather than a console. Like Dark Souls II.

I don't know what to think about Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain. Those trailers always leave me that way.

Lastly, all I can hope for from Nintendo is the announcement of Snake and Ridley in Smash Bros, or a non toon-Link Zelda game.

22. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

My E3 wishlist:

Mortal Kombat 10

Doom 4

Witcher 3

23. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Assassins Creed Unity looked great. The new Tomb Raider reveal had be screaming like a little girl. and Farcry 4 looks amazing.

24. Kekec

Kekec Member

I've finished Dragon Age: Origins several times. Now I'm replaying the Baldur's Gate series, which is sad since I couldn't find a better rpg after almost 15 years.

As for the online stuff, I play Dota 2. A lot. 1100 hrs worth.

25. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I'm also replaying the BG series. I'm about to take off for spellhold but I have to resolve the Jaheira romance, at least up to the part where we're forced to kill the harpers, then off to SH.

Speedy and Kekec like this.