The Great Writers' Quote Thread

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lucas, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Kekec

Kekec Member

Well, I wouldn't imagine a morose person as very sad. Perhaps dejected, but this is me nitpicking.

andrew smith likes this.
  2. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I quite like morose. Devastated could also be the right word.

andrew smith likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I think it was in the script to begin with, so they really couldn't do much about it. :p

Cave Troll, andrew smith and Poziga like this.
  4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm not sure who first came up with this story, but it's relevant I think.

andrew smith and jazzabel like this.
  5. Blueshift

Blueshift New Member

"A slavish concern for the composition of words is the sign of a bankrupt intellect."

- Norton Juster, though it comes from one of his characters, in the book 'The Phantom Tollbooth'.

Witchymama and andrew smith like this.
  6. GothicMermaid

GothicMermaid New Member

"First off, I know nothing about publishing today and have precious little that I can say on that subject. However one point I can make is this: no legitimate publisher charges a writer money to publish a book. Only "vanity" presses do this, and they are, as far as I know,in the business of making their money off authors. I do not encourage anyone to go with a "vanity" press. --- I wish I had more to offer but I don't.

On writing, my advice is the same to all. If you want to be a writer,write. Write and write and write. If you stop, start again. Save everything that you write. If you feel blocked, write through it until you feel your creative juices flowing again. Write. Writing is what makes a writer, nothing more and nothing less. --- Ignore
    critics. Critics are a dime a dozen. Anybody can be a critic.Writers are priceless. ---- Go where the pleasure is in your writing.Go where the pain is. Write the book you would like to read. Write the book you have been trying to find but have not found. But write.And remember, there are no rules for our profession. Ignore rules.Ignore what I say here if it doesn't help you. Do it your own way.
    --- Every writer knows fear and discouragement. Just write. --- The world is crying for new writing. It is crying for fresh and original voices and new characters and new stories. If you won't write the classics of tomorrow, well, we will not have any. Good luck." - Anne Rice

7. Chesster

Chesster New Member

"It's better to look at the sky than live there"

-Truman Capote

andrew smith likes this.
  8. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw. My philosophy of life in a nutshell. And it summarizes what I think is the purpose of writing.

Also:

"Write drunk; edit sober." - Ernest Hemingway

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"It takes absolutely nothing to go against public opinion because public opinion is wrong to hold and insane to herald because it is made of a choir of crickets. The sameness of the sound tells you the amount of the thought. Nobody stops to realize that something can happen five minutes from now and everybody will instantly think differently." - Jimmy Breslin.

andrew smith, jazzabel and Poziga like this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

“The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.”
    Terry Pratchett

11. daemon

Q. How do you feel about your books after you’re done writing them?
    A. It varies. I am usually pretty disappointed with the book when I finally turn in the last draft and hear that I can’t revise it any further. I worry a lot that no one will like it and that I’ve failed and that I haven’t lived up to the story. Then when it comes out there’s a weird adjustment and I find myself really protective of the book and increasingly proud of it. Then after a while it settles into ambivalence for me, to be totally honest. I still feel proud of the books I’ve written, but they also feel very *finished* to me. They belong to their readers now, which is a great thing–because the books are more powerful in the hands of my readers than they could ever be in my hands.
    - John Green

This is the healthiest, most respectable, and most beneficial-to-the-world attitude that I have ever seen an author express about his own books. It is the antithesis of the widespread unhealthy and selfish attitude espoused by George RR Martin and many other authors.

Maybe the modern copyright system is responsible for allowing authorial ultra-possessiveness to fester.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  12. domenic.p

domenic.p Banned

Dialogue is a foreign tongue, a semblance of speech and not a record of it, a language in which directness diminishes and obliqueness sings.
    Sol Stein

andrew smith likes this.
  13. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

"I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of."
    Joss Whedon

14. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

The flow of monarchy is also interrupted by coupons, and maybe the philosopher can contemplate that once the bar reopens. :rofl:

andrew smith, jazzabel and jannert like this.
  15. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Thinking that " what I must to say?" is better than regret that " what should I said?" - Saddi (olden Iranian poet )

andrew smith, EdFromNY and jannert like this.
  16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

An excellent sentiment. I truly believe that what haunts you most in your life is not what you've done, but what you didn't do.

17. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Be careful about reading health books, you may die of a misprint. - Mark Twain

Cave Troll, Witchymama, Mans and 2 others like this.
  18. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

"If I say, 'Come over to me' and you do not , it is no matter, for you will soon be gone and your children already belong to us".

-AH

:/

Cave Troll, jannert and andrew smith like this.
  19. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
    ― Maya Angelou

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

'Just write the fucking thing. If you can write a short story in a week, and spent two weeks editing it, you'll be writing a story a month. Submit a story a month, it's not hard - but it does require effort. If you can do that, I consider you a writer' - A university lecturer I once had.

andrew smith and Link the Writer like this.
  21. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

“Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”- George Orwell

22. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed." --William Shakespeare

23. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

matwoolf, jannert and andrew smith like this.
  24. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

That sounds more like Mark Twain than Shakespeare.

andrew smith and aikoaiko like this.
  25. daemon

Gotta remember this one.

andrew smith and aikoaiko like this.