The Happiness thread, continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

Yesterday, I finished writing the first draft of an alternate-history novella about ancient Carthaginians from North Africa discovering and establishing a colony in North America. It needs a few edits to fully polish it, after which I'll be ready to share it with the world!

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

This video makes me very explicably happy:

3. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Sir Reginald Pinkleton Member

Today was a bit of a rough day; two of my friends are struggling with life and my daughter took ill and had to go to hospital to be sure it wasn't serious. Now, the reason I'm posting in this thread is that my daughter, who is 9, rather impressed me at the hospital by showing that not only does she actually listen to me when I read to or with her, but she retains what we read and relates it to her life. The nurse applied her blood pressure cuff and warned her that it might be uncomfortable, but she should stay still, for if she squirmed it would just get tighter. Says she, 'Oh, like the binding of Fenrir.'

Well done, Squirt.

AntPoems, edamame, Madman and 2 others like this.
  4. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I went to a movie theater for the first time in more than a decade tonight and really enjoyed the experience! I saw "The Banshees of Inisherin," and everything about it was wonderful: the story, the acting, the scenery, the sharp, witty dialogue - I highly recommend it (unless you have trouble understanding Irish accents). And I didn't realize how much I had missed being in a theater. The only complaint I can make is that my date for the night decided not to show up, but hey, at least she picked out a good movie before ghosting me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. AntPoems

Whooo! A friend of mine who lives in Florida is moving back home to Philly! :)

6. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Reinstated at another (the other) writing forum after being told I was banned forever. Some good people there, and interesting discussions.

7. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

No one has been happy for three weeks??

been absolutely flowing for me, 4000 words today, combination of brainstorming on old project and writing on a research project (self directed, not school or anything, I’m reviewing old books I’ve read and making notes on what I think works)

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm happy for the most part. Nothing specific, but I try to be a positive person. Having zero expectations helps a lot.

9. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'm happy. Negative nineteen and snow outside, but I'm all cozy in front of a woodstove with The Giant Puppy sprawled across my feet.

AntPoems and montecarlo like this.
  10. montecarlo

I miss my wood stove. Had this at my last home:
    https://www.pacificenergy.net/product/alderlea-t6-le/

11. Catriona Grace

Nice! Ours is a fireplace insert. I like it better than the freestanding stove we had in our first house- takes up a lot less room. We were really grateful for it last night when the electricity in our rural area went out for five hours. People in poorly insulated abodes with no auxillary heat must've had a particularly challenging night. At midnight, the wind chill dropped the temperature to just above negative 50 degrees F. The electrical workers who were out at the substation fixing the problem last night deserve all the cups of hot chocolate and marchmallows they can imbibe.

montecarlo likes this.
  12. montecarlo

https://share.icloud.com/photos/003CpBBZoKlzXr7fp3Kpi3FHw

took me a min to find this. There was a learning curve with the stove, but eventually I was a pro. I think this was from the 2nd winter after I had the wood for well over a year. Too bad we moved, woulda liked to see how another year of seasoning would have helped.

13. Xoic

I see what U did there. Fireplace—grateful. Like a fireplace grate. Awesome.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  14. Catriona Grace

The latest word is that the official lowest temperature last night (or rather early this morning) was negative 42, NOT counting windchill. That's the low temp record for the entire period records have been kept in our fair county.

You don't miss a thing, do you, Xoic?

Xoic likes this.
  15. Xoic

Especially things that aren't really a thing at all, but just kind of stupid things I noticed. :D

16. Catriona Grace

Exactly. And I want you to know your particular genius is appreciated.

Xoic likes this.
  17. AntPoems

I exchanged Christmas gifts with my best friend tonight, and while everything we gave each other was wonderful, I was amazed by her reaction to one gift in particular: a little heart-shaped pin in the demiwoman pride colors. And when she realized what it was, she positively beamed and teared up and said it's the first time anyone's ever recognized her queerness and given her a pride gift. People say that it's better to give than receive, and it's so true - especially when you find the perfect gift. :)

Louanne Learning and BarryM13 like this.
  18. BarryM13

BarryM13 New Member

Its so true! I got my friend these headphones she's been saving up for and she lit up. Honestly her reaction was worth it and we'd been friends for so long, it was nice to finally have a job where I could do that comfortably for someone I know cares alot about me. Cheers to the holidays!

AntPoems likes this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The semester is over and I don't have to see or hear any of my idiot coworkers again until April!

Dogberry's Watch and Bone2pick like this.
  20. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Sir Reginald Pinkleton Member

I built a wooden, clockwork, musical orrery (from a kit; I'm not that good) for my son and he was moved almost to tears. He even asked how he could repay me for it. He's an odd little fish, sometimes, but I do love to see him so happy. It was the perfect end to a good father-son kind of day.

Maybe one day I'll build one in brass. See if I can't find one with all the dwarf planets on it; that would tickle him.

21. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

My niece spent a lot of the day yesterday singing, "gather the hells are ringing, gather the hells are ringing! Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" instead of the actual "hark how the bells are ringing, hear all the children singing" and it was as funny the fifteenth time as it was the first. She didn't know why we were delighted, she just knows she brings joy.

22. AntPoems

In the first two hours of 2023, I went ice skating for the first time (and didn't fall down!) and crashed a swanky party on a boat (where I did fall down, but try dancing on a wooden deck in the rain and see how you do!). I'm calling that a pretty solid start to the year. Happy new year, everyone!

23. Catriona Grace

Woke up to the promised snowstorm this morning though it was clear when I went out at midnight last night. Husband is in the process of building a fire in the stove, and I think I shall spend the day right here in my nice comfortable chair, sewing and napping and writing by turns, unless compelled by outside forces to do otherwise.

Happy New Year, y'all.

Madman, AntPoems, Xoic and 1 other person like this.
  24. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I am so happy to have found an excellent artist on Fiverr who realized a symbol from my universe. Very excited to start using it.

25. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

i was freaking out because i leave the county and 4 months and couldnt find the NEW PASSPORT I REQUESTED FROM THE GIVERNMENT LAST YEAR.
    was too stressed out and upset to go to the friggin gym (which is typically where i go when stressed as it is).

.....rushed home to tear my house apart looking for it.

found it in my drawer, but it was pressed against the side of the drawer. my drawers are black. so it blended in...... #happiness!:D

now, if i can only find my BIRTH CERTIFICATE (which i'd been looking for last year and found but now cant find again!!!!)