The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

No, it's not the easiest thing in the world - I've been quitting and starting again these past two years - but something feels different this time. I think it might stick.

Shenanigator and BogLady like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The day I quit (after maybe 7 years or so of pack a day) I'd been up late, drinking hard and smoking a lot, but I had a picnic the next day, and no one else there smoked. I had a single cigarette left from the night before, an unopened pack, and my lungs felt particularly like shit anyway, so I decided not to smoke at the picnic. Then I decided not to smoke for the rest of the day (it was a Sunday). Then I decided not to smoke the next day, and to see how far the "not smoking" thing went, but I was careful not to define myself as having "quit" until the next weekend, when I gave the unopened pack and the spare to a friend. Bought a box of toothpicks and kept it in the same pocket that my smokes had lived in, and treated the toothpicks just like cigarettes to deal with the empty hands and oral fixation problem for a month or so. I even found myself, at times, tapping the ash off my toothpicks. I stayed hard quit (absolutely zero firsthand smoke intake), then had a hookah or two when I went to Istanbul, then hard quit for another two or three years. Now, I own a hookah that I smoke maybe once or twice a month, and at times, when I'm drunk, I'll bum a smoke, but the addiction is gone.

Good luck.

3. Epanther

Epanther New Member

Last week was such a long, long week. One of those weeks that feels like a day or two extra had been added to the normal work week. This week dragged a bit as well, but, I have tomorrow off, so it's nice to be able to really enjoy this glass of wine, and just, literally wind down. Although, my compulsive nature still insists I vacuum and mop the entire house before bed... but at least I won't need to be up by the crack of dawn! So happy to be able to sleep in!

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just remembered that I did have to switch varieties of beer after my taste buds recovered though. Leinie's Honey Weiss was fine as a smoker, but far too sweet once I quit.

5. Epanther

Epanther New Member

My favorite beer is Seadog Blueberry! So good! Low alcohol content, but just amazingly delicious. I do love beer, but have found that the beers I like the most are fairly weak. So, that leads me to ponder whether I actually like beer, beer? If you know what I mean. haha!

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    When asked what wine he found most pleasant to drink, Diogenes replied, "That for which other people pay."

7. Epanther

Epanther New Member

Yes, I can agree with that statement for sure.

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Oh, snap, new Hampshire in the house!

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Hook me up with a 4pack of Becks tall boys, lets face it American beer is just not as good. :p
    I love my country, but the beer sucks. :p But whiskey is another story. :)

10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

Beer me.

Actually, Kirin Lager is my current go-to, but Asahi is decent as long as it stays cold. The moment it starts to warm up though, ugh, sour and nasty.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The most popular American beers are terrible, but there are tons of microbreweries out there making good stuff! Go to Portland, Oregon - a great beer city - and try a few!
    I don't like bourbon. Give me Canadian whiskey any day, preferably Crown Royal. (Actually, don't. I had to give up drinking.)
    Also there are some great single-malt Scotches out there. Macallan and Bowmore, for example, or, if you're into industrial-strength paint-peeling rocket fuel, Laphroaig.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I like bourbon, after some muddling around I've settled on Wild Turkey 8 year old for my primary straight/rocks drink.

[​IMG]
    It's only about $26/liter due to the lower liquor taxes here. For mixing, I go with Four Roses, which isn't as good as Turkey.

[​IMG]

At $12/750 ml, it makes an excellent mixing whisky that can still be enjoyed straight if you run out of the good stuff.

Shenanigator likes this.
  13. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I came home from work to find my sister's orange tabby kitten outside on the drive way, terrified

Only he isn't street savvy and so he isn't allowed outside because he's a flashing orange sign of EAT ME I'M LOVEABLY STUPID

And that's when I realised my sister wasn't home and no one put the animals away

It was an hour past dark

We got all the dogs in (except the Kangal Anatolian, who I wanted out) but our tuxedo cat was holed up on our roof (safe) but my kitty was missing

And he doesn't cry. When he does, there's hardly any noise. Which is good cause the predators can't hear him but I can't really find him by vocalisations either.

So I spent 45 minutes wandering about 7 acres of our property, looking for him, calling for him, starting to become a full emotional wreck

I finally just sat outside on the drive way with the garage lights on waiting, my dad telling me I needed a jacket if I was going to stay outside, occasionally calling out for him but mostly trying not to break down

AND MY BOY CAME HOME

He is injured but nothing life threatening

So irrationally I finally fully broke down because he's alright

I'm so happy he's home

14. Epanther

Epanther New Member

My new favorite is Jack Fire or Jack Honey. Both are so good!

15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Alas I cannot indulge in Wild Turkey, bad things happen. :(
    But on the flip side it is a kick ass whiskey. :)

16. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

That's the second time I've heard that about Wild Turkey specifically. The first time was hearing from a friend about another friend who got fucked up on whiskey sours made with Wild Turkey. The next time I saw that guy, I asked him to make me one. It's no wonder he got fucked up -- his whiskey sours are like 10% sour. So is it just that WT is a good brand..? I could never tell. Hated whiskey. Rum was my thing.

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Wild Turkey is 101 proof (50.5% alcohol by volume, US measurement) which tends to sneak up on people who are used to 80 proof. It also has a certain "bad boy" cachet to it, which kept me away from it for a long time until a friend set me straight. I really like the flavor on a big rock, but I suspect that a lot of younger drinkers see it as something to get fucked up on, rather than sip like a gentleman.

Maximum amount of ice, minimum surface area to avoid diluting your spirits:

[​IMG]

Spencer1990 and Laurus like this.
  18. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Thaaat explains everything. I admit I always liked the idea of sipping drinks like a gentleman. Though I never could get past the taste. Liquor is downright awful, but it's also the only thing that gets you drunk, so...

[​IMG]

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Try an old-fashioned. From Wikipedia:

The sugar and bitters take the edge off the whiskey, making it more palatable. When you're too muddled to mix them anymore, you can switch to straight from the bottle, you'll never know the difference by then :)

Laurus and Spencer1990 like this.
  20. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I love me an old-fashioned, but I usually squirt a bit of lemon juice in there for good measure.

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I usually end up doing something similar because I'm not going to drink enough of them to make it worth it to sacrifice a whole lemon just for a twist or two. Still looking for a better solution to that one.

22. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Personally... I sip a 140 proof unfiltered Vodka from a local brewery. I can't stand sipping whiskey or scotch.
    Note on unfiltered - When you filter vodka, you add bite.

23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Woo! Between playing ’Horizon: Zero Dawn’, reading the Nero Wolfe series, and writing... It’s stuff like this that make me happy to be alive!

Fernando.C and Millamber like this.
  24. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I'm fond of another bird bourbon: Eagle Rare. Has really good flavor (vanilla & caramel notes in there), mixes well, sips well, and OMG the things it does in recipes that call for bourbon, such as Bourbon Sweet Potatoes.

25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I don't think I've seen it, but I'll keep an eye out the next time I go to the Mega Booze Mart (not its real name, unfortunately). I'm always up for trying something that comes with a recommendation attached, but leery as hell of going out on my own. Yellow Rose of Texas bourbon tastes like crap....

Shenanigator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.