The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

It did :-D:bigtongue:!! That was hilarious!

We live on and old farm, my parents are retired now but we still have a few animals here, mostly horses and some sheep. The farm used to do dairy but that was before I was born.

Mans likes this.
  2. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

Here are some pictures I took of the house last Christmas. The whole family was staying over and we had a lot... of snow...! We had to wait for the snow to melt before anyone could leave, and it was sooo cold!

20180303_084947.jpg

20180302_112628.jpg

3. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Interesting house and landscape. I'm a lover to snowy and rainy days. You are lucky that live is such the natural place, away from noisy cities.

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos :)

4. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you liked the pictures! It is nice living in the countryside, we have lovely views and it's very peaceful. I love snow as well, especially at Christmas time! We don't get snow all that much where I live, but when we do it is beautiful.

Mans likes this.
  5. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I remember all that snow! We didn't get much on Christmas Day, but there was so, so much the Friday before the end of term, and it stayed over the weekend and into the next week. They shut the school a day early. It was chaos, none of the house staff knew what was happening. I miss that place.

VictoriaPrincess likes this.
  6. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

Yeah it was a lot of snow wasn't it!? I like it when it snows just before Christmas... It makes Christmas, for me, all the more magical and special! It's also nice to have a change from the usual rain we almost always have :bigwink:

7. Mans

Driving needs a high consciousness. I did the risky wrong as well. One night I was traveling alone with my car in a straight and very long road . I began catnapping. In the situation I neither notice the road not the opposite cars. But suddenly I went back to my intellect and realized I'm doing a very dangerous action and it is driving unconsciously.

Then I stopped by the road in a small road parking and went to a deep sleep immediately! I don't know how many hours I was asleep, maybe two or three hours and when woke up continued my way. It was the most wisely decision that I made and if not, it was not clear what would happen for me.

matwoolf likes this.
  8. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

@Some Guy I found some pictures of the outbuildings...

P8050133.JPG
    P8050134.JPG
    P8050136.JPG
    As you can see they are in a bad way and need a lot of work.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Mans

As I see, it is just some semi-built walls without ceiling and one of the walls needs to be renewed wholly. Before any repair it needs to be cleaned and the plants around it are pruned.

I do not know what the distance between the building and the house is, but as you told it needs a lot of work. You must to hire a contractor who is a skilled mason to do all these works and changes it into a favorable building. I either don't know for what purpose you use it but it must be renewed based on the purpose.

Despite your house is large enough but if the building is nearby the house you will can use it as a storehouse for your additional stuffs.

As I saw, you have a few cars, so plus to the building you need a roof for them in the summer and winter; but the the light roof should be matched with the house to retain its beauty.

10. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

Yeah there's those bits and then at the back is the building itself, the roof has caved in inside there because a tree has basically grown up through the floor, this happened a long time ago though. The pictures aren't the best of quality, I'll try and get some better ones at some point. My boyfriend is dealing with all that for us.

The outbuilding is at the very top of our garden so it's a fair way from the house, I expect in the end we'll have gardening tools and equipment in there or whatever else needs putting away I guess :bigsmile: We're very fortunate and lucky with the space we have here! :bigsmile:

Not all the cars are mine, I own a Volvo 850 which was out of shot and the Kia and Jaguar belong to my parents. The blue Fiat was my sister's but she doesn't drive anymore. We've got a garage, but that was round the front of the house so my car at least is protected during the bad weather :bigwink:

I love our home, it's old and has a lot of character and it's alone in the rural countryside! It should be a lovely place for my daughter to grow up in :bigsmile:

11. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

I just had to post this photo!! :bigtongue: Looook, sheep in the garden!!

P5240081.JPG

12. Mans

Very green place in the spring and summer! I guess there is a lot of fruitful trees in the area. The best fruits that I love are watery and sweet peach, cherry, pomegranate and cantaloupe. I also love sour apple to eat along with a little salt! In addition to these I love black grape and cool watermelon in the summer!

The environment is very nice and natural. Breathing in this place is very pleasant and life-giving, unlike cities full of smoke. As far as I know UK is a green land and has many nice places like your amazing area. I think you every morning have fresh milk and other diary products?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  13. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

Yes it is lovely and green over here in the countryside :bigsmile: I know the bigger cities aren't soon green, but overall the UK is very beautiful in places. Lots of country fields, most of which are parts of a public footpath which you can walk through, and as you said lots of fruitful trees in the area as well. In our garden we have an apple tree and a plum tree, they give us fruit every year which is awesome. I love black grape as well :bigtongue: !!

Fresh milk everyday would be nice, but sadly the farm no longer has cattle to produce the milk. According to my parents long before I was born there was an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease on the farm, it cost them the whole herd and after that funds were very tight and cows never were never on the farm again. When I was born in 1997 the farm hadn't been a proper working farm for at least fifteen years. My parents raise horse's from young and then sell them on, it's a sort of retirement job for them. We also have the sheep but no cows, and to my knowledge there weren't pigs in the past.
    But we do have chickens and get lots of eggs from them which is nice :bigsmile: The farm is deteriorating now, it's very old and the barns and old mill are going to ruin but as the farm isn't working now I don't think they'll ever be used again. If I can, I'll take some pictures of the farm tomorrow :agreed:

But overall I love where I live! My house is beautiful, old, but a lovely place to live and the countryside air feels so warm and cosy :bigsmile:

14. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I love the story the old structures tell. We are consumed with 'restoration' these days, but the heyday of such homes and buildings was part of a cycle. The people of the time had no problem with the ruin, and would either raze a building to ground and use rubble for a new structure elsewhere. Or sometimes, a part of the new structure would have a corner built with carefully reclaimed materials from the former, and in the same dimension and style, as a tribute to the old building. The labor of love.
    The pattern of repairs tells me the ground has shifted, making the foundation of those walls unstable. Probably from roots. It looks like the back and right walls are stable and in good shape. The left side is dangerously beyond repair, and probably needs foundation redone. The upper of the freestanding bit looks to be fire brick? It makes me wonder what is't been used for over the years. That entire monolith, sadly, needs to come down and foundation redone. It's exciting to imagine it reborn! What an awesome summer project! A perfect opportunity to learn trades! What do you want to use it for? :)

matwoolf and Mans like this.
  15. Mans

As I told before in addition to the nice environment your house is beautiful as well and doesn't seem like an old house.

I thought, you get milk from the sheep. The milk of sheep is better and more delicious and energetic than cow, though is fatter.

I'm happy that your parents raise and train horses and sell them, it is a good and joyful job. Are the horses among racing coursers?

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your dad can repair and renew them. You must not leave the beautiful farm to be declined. I think your dad has a good income selling the horses. He can save some money for rebuilding the barns and mill and also improve the farm. I wondered that you told you have just two fruit trees in the garden despite the green environment! It is better you plant other fruit trees. They will grow and fruit very soon.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    matwoolf likes this.
  16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

By morning the peasants arrived. They pulled Pappa from the bed and drove his Daimler into the slurry pit.

'He's okay,' said the corporal, 'and off to education at the call centre.'

'No!' cried the ladies.

'Yes...once he gets Mandarin to scratch he has his uses for the revolution. This place is now my headquarters. Summon our chavling army!'

Hurrah cried the children from the village supported playgroup, and the rats tore through bedrooms, redistributed lego bricks across the county. Jeremy would arrive that afternoon for the hogget barbecue.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The Baslica Cistern in Istanbul has the famous "Medusa" block, a bit of repurposed rubble from an even older era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really never intended to be seen, but is now on the List of Places to Go in Istanbul.

Cave Troll, Oscar Leigh and Some Guy like this.
  18. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Oh snow! I miss it so much. :(
    I think this is a reason many of my stories begin in a snowy environment.

19. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

"And so great was his power, that he turned the world upside down, until the gods cast him into oblivion, and set the world to right. His head remains, as a warning... "

20. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

You can have my share if you'd like. There's plenty in the drive you can have to start and we can go from there.

21. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Faak, November igloo is wrong.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Anytime! :D
    See how happily these cars are playing in the snow! :love:
    ss-110202-winter-storm-mw09_grid-7x2.jpg

23. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Don't listen to much rap but this is funny as Hell.

24. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

My Fallout 76 Power Armor Edition is here!!! Yay... I don't give a fuck what anyone says about the game, I will make my own decisions whether I like it or not, if I get enjoyment out of it... then I get enjoyment out of it.

Now just to wait the 36+ hour download, lol.

25. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

Guys, the hospital are apparently calling me today between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., my throat may be fixed sooner than I think (if it's fixable). Fingers crossed for me. I'm half scared half excited :bigsmile: It's horrible because right now I sound like Voldemort from the first Harry Potter movie ha ha :bigeek::bigwink:

Carly Berg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.