The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I cleaned some goop outta the bathroom sink drain. Mrs. A thinks I'm a hero.

Some Guy and jannert like this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

You're welcome to do that here. I've got a whole hillside to pull if you're running out.

3. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I am less than 3k words into a 40k project do you think I have time to pull weeds

4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

For a couple hundred? Maybe. Who knows. Distractions are only as distracting as you let them be. You're on the ultimate distraction right now though...this place has burned quite a bit of my essay and story writing time already.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Makes perfect sense to me. 7 is actually a perfect multiple of 3 in cheese math. Think about it: you need two pieces per burger to get the offset corners-- like an 8 pointed star of David--and you're always going to eat one piece while you're waiting for the shit to melt, so 7 is the perfect number of slices for 3 burger servings.

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

And three is the perfect number of servings per family for an outing. A couple with one child will have a burger per person, a couple without child can split it 2:1, and a single person can just eat the cheese the way it is,without the burgers, at midnight, standing naked, pale white flesh and mustard packet collection illuminated by one lone bulb, temporarily set free from its refrigerated prison by the open door. In it's glint, Velveeta wrappers fall to the floor like tears to the sea before once again it's prison closes and empty darkness reclaims the world.

7. Homer Potvin

Doubly so for burgers. Hamburger is typically sold in one pound increments in the US, which most efficiently yields 3 burger patties. 2 half pounders are kind of big (though that's what a typical restaurant will sell), 4 quarter pounders is kind of small (despite being popularized by McDonalds), but three 5.33oz patties is jusssst enough to fill you up and leave room for other BBQ things without feeling overly gratuitous.

Lord, I would kill for a burger right now but grills aren't allowed at my apartment complex. My restaurant group has a great burger joint right around the corner from me where I would normally get to eat and drink for free, but like everything else, it is closed.

Fuck. I like salads too thankfully.

8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Where'd you put the camera in my kitchen? Smoke detector is traditional, but we all know why I had to bash that chirpy little fucker outta the ceiling, DON’T WE?!?

9. Aaron Smith

Finished a first draft of a short story and it's some good shit man.

10. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Birds I've seen today:

A male and female cardinal (they're nesting in the big tree out front and I get to see the lady preparing her home and it's so cuuuute and I love birds)

A male and female blue jay (they've taken up residence in the other tree. I've made stories about them and the Cardinals being enemies at first, but then they're highly competitive neighbors)

Two goldfinches
    Several sparrows
    Several fat fat robins (they make me the happiest)
    And it's a bit cold for the hummingbirds yet, but they'll be here in the summer.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Flying Dust Bunnies. :p

12. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I got to see a pair of goldfinches the other day too. They're beautiful little birds. I had 12 feeding in my garden a couple of summers ago. There might be some photos of them in the taverns gallery, in fact. :)

13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I finally discovered that cardinals are the ones I used to call Geometer birds. Weird, I know. But it was because of their call—I used to hear some bird outside my window that I swear was saying "Circle circle circle, square square, spheeeeere spheeeeere spheeeeeere". Then one day I was sitting outside, motionless for long enough that they started getting active near me, and I could see a cardinal doing that call. Also learned squirrels are the bitchy ones that do the angry bronx cheers all the time.

14. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Ok, so it`s not gonna be any secret to anyone but I haven`t been that ok for a low of this quarantine thing. I wasn`t great before and after it just went vroooommm. That`s supposed to be a crashing plane sound...this is text...anyways yeah. Been very up, down, up, down, and so on. Plateaued kinda...in an unhealthy way...sleep schedule and routine is shot to hell, very sporadic bursts of productivity but its something. May have dipped again somewhat, didn't do much today except play Greedfall but maybe that`s ok.

As much as I do want/need to do somethings during this it`s a pandemic there`s no rulebook on any of this for any of us why should I be beholding myself like there is? It`s ok to let myself feel and in the end that`s probably gonna turn out more productive than anything else.

Today I kinda realized that the universe sets everything where it`s supposed to be. Had I not dropped out of school I`d still have debt, no stimulus, less life experience, no guarantee on a job, and etc. Really I`m in a good place no debt and my jobs guaranteed to be there when this is over. Unemployment still is crickets but the govt came through so we`re ok.

It`s a good spot. It`s gonna be ok.

15. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

egbok?

Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  16. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

So, after our brooding chickens decided to abandon their eggs, we have saved up eggs and started up the incubator. So there will be little fluff balls coming after all.

We already have enough egg-layers however so every chicken in this batch will become dinner once they are big enough to make it worth it. Yummy!

And to you who find this weird (or worse)… You’re city folk, right? Well, I’m a farmer’s daughter and a farmer’s granddaughter so this is not weird to me.

17. Homer Potvin

Haha. In Providence, all the old Italians still raise chickens and rabbits in converted courtyards between regular city blocks to eat regularly. Fresh chicken is delicious!

18. Gladiolus83

Well, it is my personal experiance that those who don't understand how a person can breed pigs or chickens and then eat them are mostly people who hasn't seen much of a farm - grew up in cities all of them. But I guess there are those who would get it even in the cities. I've just never met such a person. And yes, fresh chicken is very delicious.
    And speaking of rabbits. We happen to have one who just might be having babies. And if she is, then rabbit stew we'll one day eat!

Kinzvlle and Some Guy like this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    See, for me the weird part is the "brooding chickens". I know what the word means, and in this case I know it's being used appropriately as far as animal husbandry goes (and don't even get me started on what I used to think that meant!), but I always picture the chickens sitting on top of the henhouse scowling contemplatively at the farmyard like fat feathered Batmen.

[​IMG]

20. Gladiolus83

I actually had the same thought when I learned the English word for the natural hatching procedure. I even checked multiple sources just to make sure it was the correct one.

21. Aaron Smith

I finally got my own apartment after living at home for far too long.

22. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Well, good news is that the radiator leak has been repaired.

The boiler needs a new control panel though, some of the switches are not behaving as they should.

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  23. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Scheduled the closing on my house for next Thursday. It's less than a week away and I keep thinking I need to get packed. But I am packed. I've been ready to move for a year, haha.

I hope everyone has an easier day today if it's been rough for any of you. It's raining here today and I am letting it be a good thing. More rain = more daffodils soon.

24. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

It's not raining here, but it's all sorts of grey. I love grey days. We don't get enough in West Texas.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  25. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hm. But we get quite a lot of it in not-so-sunny England. In fact It’s raining this moment right now.

On a positive note: there’s the pungent odour of fresh rain wafting through the open window.

I’ll swap our weather forecast for yours!! :p

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.