The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by marina, Dec 24, 2008.

1. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

I've heard of it. Sounds interesting. I just read Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. It was pretty good, you should check it out.

2. Squidget

Squidget New Member

10 years old? I loved it and I am 14. it is kind of violent. I would never recomend it for a ten year old.

3. Epsil

Epsil New Member

I'm sixteen and I loved it.
    The first book I felt that though it was well written, it felt a bit weak. It had all the settings and concepts to be a 'better' book (in my opinion), but it had only scraped the surface.

The second book was an improvement, I was surprised that she managed to carry the plot well enough for it to go on.

And the third book was amazing. Fast-paced, yet deep. It's my second favourite book right now.

4. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I'm 21 and really liked The Hunger Games. I finished it only a few weeks ago, and when I have time I plan to get the sequels.

5. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

I have heard really good things about this book, it's on my queue :D

6. Noval

Noval New Member

I literally just finished the first book yesterday and loved it. Can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. There is one thing that bothered me though, there were quite a few grammar mistakes. Admittedly I'm from Germany and it could just be lack of knowledge of a certain English dialect but that seems kind of unlikely. Maybe the German publisher messed up, I don't know. Still, not enough to spoil my enjoyment of this fantastic novel. I agree that it is way too gory for a 10 year old though.

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Best female perspective book EVER.
    'nuff said

8. Squidget

Squidget New Member

There were quite a few grammer mistakes. I also thought that the beginning was a little slow. Anyone else agree?

9. Trace

Trace New Member

The problem with that statment is that the book was written from the point of view of a somewhat illiterate teenage girl.

10. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Okay, I am only halfway through the first one (but I have the 2nd and 3rd arranged to be borrowed already), and I'm loving it. Totally drawn in from the very start. Looking forward to talking about it some more.

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Haven't read it yet but plan to.

Has anyone here read "Gregor the Overlander?" It's awesome and by the same author.

I love Suzanne's protags and how they're all strong, intelligent, survivalist, individualist etc...I should give Hunger Games a try. ;)

12. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

I ordered the box-set with all three books from amazon a couple of days ago, I'm getting them tomorrow :D
    Although I don't plan on reading them soon since I have a couple of other books in my "to-read" list, I know they will be amazing reads :D
    btw, if anybody is interested, you should get it from amazon, amazing offer (All 3 hardcover for 27 bucks) But it's up to 33 now :s, but it's still a pretty good deal!

13. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

nope, what's it about :]?

14. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

Wow, the storyline sounds so much like DJ Machale's "The Quillan Games," which was published about two years earlier.

15. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

I work in a bookstore and I would LOVE to make this series bigger than Twilight (urgh) only problem is, we never have enough copies for me to sell!

Along with Michael Grant's "Gone" series, and "Noughts and Crosses" this is the series that I recommend for teenagers.

16. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

So they've announced the release date for The Hunger Games movie--March of 2012. That's an odd time for a movie to be released, isn't it? Not sure if that means they don't have confidence in it doing well (so they don't want it to have to compete with the summer blockbusters). They've also announced that the sequel, Catching Fire, will be released in November of 2013. What do you think of Katniss, Gale, and Peeta? Are they how you envisioned them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

As of right now, just seeing the pictures, they look too.... perfect. Like, not the desperate figures I imagine them to be in the books. But these are just pictures, and when I see the movie I can judge better.

I hadn't heard they'd decided on making Catching Fire a movie, though. Hopefully The Hunger Games is a good movie so they don't screw up two of the three.

Katniss looks too... pretty. I know in the book she's sort of oblivious to how she looks and the effect she has on people (Peeta says as much to Haymitch in the first book), but she doesn't seem right as of now. Maybe the movie will change my mind.

18. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

The books are finally starting to pick up here in Norway (I first heard of them a few weeks ago, in fact.) I bought the first one, but haven't had the chance to read it yet. The whole first person present-style put me off a bit, but don't worry, I'll read the book soon.

Can't say much about the charactes as I haven't read the books yet, but I think they are doing the usual mistake. If this is children running around in the wilderness in a fight for survival, how come they are so... clean? Clean clothes, clean hair, even clean teeth probably. What they should have done is put the costumes on, go camping a week or two without showering and then make the movie. ;)

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hopefully they'll be dirtier when they're in the Games.

20. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I love this book so much. Ive only read the first, but i love it to death. It's an amazing book. I know it's pretty gory, but that's just the right book for me :D. I need to read the other two books.

21. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah, they look too... clean. Katiniss in the first book was happy to even take a shower in the Capital. But i guess since it's hollywood.... they should look dirtier in those pictures. It doesn't look realistic at all. The buildings do, but not the people. The people were lucky to get food in these districts, and they look like everything is honky dory and shooting at animals like it's for fun. I swear these pictures better be just for eye candy cause im going to be so pissed if they mess this movie up. They are all good actors, just the people producing and making the movie im more worried about.

22. morconk

morconk New Member

The first book was haunting. I finished it in a few hours and immediately looked for the next book in the trilogy. While the first one was a really great piece, the last two were kind of disapointing. But the whole thing was great for the imagination. It really makes you want to write something gruesome and cruel.

23. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I am a HUGE fan of the Hunger Games. Can't wait for the movies :D

24. DBock

DBock New Member

Incredibly well written books. If you liked them i recommend reading Enclave by Ann Aguirre and Divergent by Veronica Roth. Both are dystopian YA but not in any way Hunger Games rip-offs. Great stuff. :)

25. Liza

Liza Active Member

Liked all but the last book. In my opinion, the first book was best. Ahh, how are they goin to cut out some of the gore?