1. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

The Impact of Superpowered Entities Upon a Futuristic Battlefeild

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Luigikinesis, Nov 7, 2022.

In my world, the technology can be made pretty analogous to what is seen in newer Battlestar Galactica with a bit more advanced tech and the geopolitical situation is where there was once a massive empire on a Virgo Birch Planet that is now shattered due to a massive series of explosions. The main factor here is the aforementioned superpowered entities, which come in two forms, Warforms and Isiroids. Warforms are entities capable of transforming themselves into a "more original and primal form", which usually is significantly stronger, faster, and smarter than the base form. However, most Warfomrms can only be maintained for 30 minutes at most before reversion to their base forms. Warforms are usually 1 per 600 fighting men. Isiroids are more like the traditional mages, flinging fireballs, creating barriers, teleporting, and messing around with the minds of others. They have similar limitations to Warforms since they can only have their powers active for short periods of time, and a limitation which is unique to Isiroids is waste heat. Some stories of Isiroids melting themselves alive have been reported over the years. Both Warfrorms and Isiroids have the inconvenient habit of going insane or getting possessed.

Currently, Warforms are used like ultra-elite shock troopers, breaking defensive lines and fortifications with ease, while Isiroids are more like walking assault cannons. What I am here specifically is if there are any unique tactical or strategic abilities these people have that I might be skipping over, and I would be more than happy to provide clarifications. Thanks in advance!

2. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

You might also consider their uses in a special ops role. What kind of damage could they do after getting deep behind enemy lines? Most people don't consider how important logistics are to a military. What do you do with the army went you run out of beans and bullets. That issue is why many raider units have had an outsized impact on our conflicts. Some items for consideration.

3. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

That would make quite some sense. I'd imagine also mass psychic warfare to demoralize the enemy before they even make contact with you could be useful. Entrenchment and fortification could be simplified with magical shenanigans. Now the question is, would a combination of a Warform and an Isiroid make a tank obsolete? Maybe it would serve more in a light infantry role to augment firepower for those groups, while maybe standard tanks fill the role for heavier units. I'd still imagine infantry with such striking power finding a place in any combat unit.

4. w. bogart

Keep in mind, tanks without infantry support, is vulnerable to infantry. Molotov in the engine compartment, or a grenade dropped into a hatch.
    Making a tank obsolete, I don't think so, influence the doctrine governing how and when tanks were used, definitely.

5. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

Quite right on that one. I'd imagine for factions with small industrial capacities but unusual concentrations of Isiroid-Warform hybrids (there is one that fits that description quite nicely) could likely phase out tanks, using these super-powered individuals with the durability and firepower of tanks and the size and advantages of infantry, naturally supported by other infantry. For other factions, I'd imagine they still have their use in field battles, but would find greater use when clearing bunkers or cities.

6. w. bogart

I could easily see a faction developing a doctrine, that prohibits tanks in any area those units had been sighted in. Or requiring any armored vehicle type to be used only against conventional forces. Units like APC, and field Artillery would be included in this. I would also imagine that the various military commands would be spending a lot of money researching weaknesses for these units. Some type of suppression field, maybe.

7. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

Suppression fields do exist but are ungodly expensive, so only the faction that can manufacture the constituent parts use them, though they are far and few between. The largest faction, the Imperium Renovatum, has noticed that a firing line of 600 or so men works pretty well, though the concentration of force like that is quite vulnerable to people like that. Then again, that faction has the "drown them in bodies, bullets, armor, and artillery" sort of doctrine, so they wouldn't really care if they died in the process of taking down such a valuable unit. Other factions would have to get more crafty than that and might have one of their own engage them. This could possibly have some sort of stage of battle where they duke it out with the support of elite non-magical units. Epic and possibly tactically justifiable.

8. w. bogart

That sounds like WW1 style thinking, and we know what a blood bath that was. I am glad to see you are already factoring in the points I was trying to raise. I think in the end it will make for a better story.

9. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

That's exactly why I came here, to ask questions and take advice. And on the WWI thing, it is quite intentional. The Imperium Renovatum has a large volunteer force, and good tech, but decadent and incompetent generals due to 12th-generation hereditary nobles being in charge.

10. w. bogart

Okay, so modeled more on WW2, French army. Good troops, with garbage leaders.
    Delta force by Charlie Beckworth is a good source for the problems of lack of coordination with the incidents of desert one. "Not a good day to die" by Sean Naylor has some very good examples of turf battles with in the military and the results of those.

11. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

Now that I think about it, it makes more sense. Throw in some religious and political officers into the mix for the kicks and giggles. I will also do some more research on the topic since we have many good real-life examples.

12. w. bogart

Pay attention to the problems between Special Forces, and the Seals command, in "Not a good Day to Die." Serious turf battle there. Religious and Political officers likely aren't needed for this. Just one groups desire to earn prestige on the battle field, that can be used in political funding battles. But your Story.

13. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

I'm quite sure there is plenty of that, I just wanted to really screw over stuff for that polity, and they are mostly held together by inertia, duct tape, and masterful propaganda campaigns. The sort of situation I am semi-emulating is the Century of Humiliation in China.

14. w. bogart

With that concept in mind. I would suggest a Quartermaster corp, that has been selling supplies on the black market and cannot supply the actual troops. And possibly an intelligence agency that hasn't bothered to verify the information they pass forward. Those should give some great opportunities for confusion.

Not the Territory likes this.
  15. Luigikinesis

Luigikinesis Member

I too enjoy straight-up laziness, incompetence, and corruption.

16. w. bogart

Just tossing out ideas for plot fodder. If it works use it.