The Imperium of Surmarack

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Pheonix, Aug 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Fay Aladora

"Are you both alright?" Strange biker said.
    "Yes." Grandfather Aladora replied. "C'mon my dear." He squeezed his granddaughter's shoulder and led her back inside the shop.
    "Who was that Grandpapa?" Fay asked once they were inside.
    "I don't know. Some theif. I'll call the authorities and have them pick him up. For now...lock the door and don't let anyone in."
    Grandfather Aladora limped into the back room where they kept a landline.
    Fay rushed back over to the table concealed in the corner and sat down. "We must end this conversation quickly. I don't know what my grandfather would do should he see a sanhedrin in his shop."

2. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

Renaith Nelvas

At times Renaith counted himself a fortunate man. To be sure, his position was one of a certain amount of influence, but it carried with it an enormous amount of responsibility. On days like this, the weight of it all seemed nearly too much to bear. Although the day was slowly slipping by, nightfall brought with it no release, and all of Coranum was still on edge. Transportation out of the city was slow on most nights, but after the attack on the Conventum and the bombing of the Douway embassy, it was nearly impossible.

Luckily, being the Imperial Diplomat of the Houses had a few perks--one of which happened to be a private shuttle. What would have been an absolute nightmare turned out to be a relatively uneventful trip to the Jarn embassy. It was getting late, but the dots of light piercing through the windows told Renaith that it wasn't that late just yet. He figured he had time for one final piece of business.

After disembarking from his shuttle, the Isthian diplomat strode into the entrance hall of the Jarn embassy. He was greeted kindly enough by a pair of young men who seemed competent at their job. "Good evening, gentlemen," Renaith said with a slight bow. "Forgive me for disturbing you at such a late hour, but I was hoping you could help me with some small matter. Worry not, I will be brief. Has there been any word regarding possible survivors of the attack on the Douway embassy, by any chance?"

The two men glanced at each other for a while, unsure of how to answer. But before they could reply, someone else entered the entrance hall and did so for them. He was a young man, though most likely a teenager. His right arm looked badly burned, though aside from that he looked none the worse for wear. The young man also looked quite familiar to the diplomat. "Why are you so interested?" he demanded.

It took Renaith a few moments to fully recall, but when he did he knew that he'd found his answer. "Master David," Renaith replied politely. "It is a relief to see you alive and well, though perhaps with that nasty wound you should be recuperating."

David harrumphed, casting a defiant stare at the Isthian diplomat. "I'm not in the mood to rest. What do you want with me, anyway?"

"I simply wanted to inquire about your safety, as well as that of the other members of your household."

"Yeah, well they're all dead! Are you happy now?"

Renaith frowned just a touch and hung his head as a gesture of respect. "So your mother the Lady Rosalyn did not survive... I am deeply sorry for your loss, Master David."

"Yeah, right... You say you're sorry, but are you going to do anything about it? Huh?" David's tone was getting more and more aggressive, and there was fire in his eyes that would consume everything around them including David himself. "You Imperiums just sit around in your offices watching the paint dry while the rest of us are dying in the streets! Where were you when my mother was locked inside the Conventum behind two armies? Where were you when the only home I've ever known blew up? Where were you when my mother and everyone in the embassy were burned alive?" David drew in closer, dangerously so. "Where were you?!"

"Master David," Renaith tried to explain as calmly as he possibly could, given how little space there was between them now, "there is nothing I could do or say to you right now that would satisfy you. But I must still try. What I can tell you is that I am truly saddened by Lady Rosalyn's passing. I held her in the highest esteem and the utmost respect. She was one of the bravest, gentlest and fiercest souls I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I can see that some of her most excellent qualities live on in you."

David stared at him sullenly, but said nothing. Renaith took that as an encouraging sign. "I know that you do not trust me very much. If it is because of my association with the Imperium, then I beg you give me the chance to change your opinion of me. It is my intention to find out who is responsible for the senseless murder of your mother and your household, and to bring them all to swift justice."

The young man narrowed his eyes, still not quite sure what to think. "You're just saying that to get me to shut up."

"That is hardly the case, Master David. While I did say those things to reassure you, I also meant every word. I will do everything in my power to find the guilty party and make sure they do not go unpunished."

David stared at the Isthian diplomat for a few moments, mulling over his words. Renaith could tell that the young man was still troubled by all of the emotions raging deep within his heart. Anger, frustration, grief, loneliness. At times it seemed like all four were vying for control over their host, but while none gained the upper hand, they simply exerted themselves all at once. Renaith would have felt sorry for David, but he also knew that sentiment would not be appreciated by the hotheaded youth. When David finally spoke, his voice had lost some of its edge, but none of the undercurrent of rage. "Fine. But you'd better make sure that you find whoever did this."

"I shall, Master David." Renaith bowed his head once more out of respect for the late Lady Rosalyn. "It is rather late, however. I know that you are not yet weary, but perhaps you should get some rest all the same. I'm sure your physician has given you similar advice."

"Screw him."

Renaith chose to ignore that. "I shall take my leave. Master David, we will have the chance to speak with each other at a later date, when you have fully recovered from your injuries. Good night."

The youth simply waved his hand in dismissal and turned his back on the diplomat. Renaith frowned slightly again, but quickly regained his composure. David was still a young human male, he reminded himself. Humans were known for letting their emotions, especially the negative ones, take control. Teenaged humans were especially notorious for that. The young man had just lost his mother and probably most of the people he'd ever known in his life. He was still grieving and frustrated. Given some time, he would surely calm down. At least, that was what Renaith hoped.

The journey back to Coranum was uneventful. Still, Renaith was relieved to finally return home after a long and trying day. Much like David, he needed his rest too. He could only begin to guess what the dawn would bring.

3. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Zangir and Malief

“We must end this conversation quickly. I don’t know what my grandfather would do should he see a Sanhedrin in his shop.”

But there wasn’t a Sanhedrin in his shop. Only Tezriac, staring blankly at the space where the creature once stood.

Zangir burst through the back door into the dark, damp alley. He bounced off the opposite wall, making a mad dash through murky darkness and splashing his robe in hidden puddles. The commotion out front had been no coincidence and the Sanhedrin was now beginning to realise the error in his methods. A sharp turn right and another dark alley. Quickly he traipsed into the darkness, away from the danger.

Sanhedrin’s were never caught alone, especially on important matters yet Zangir had allowed himself to be sucked into two children’s game. Master would not have been pleased. Another left turn and another alley, but the comforting street lights beckoned in the distance. Were the humans plotting this all along? Or were the rumours of their plans true? It did not matter. Escape mattered. He ran down the alley towards the road, maniacally punching a button under his robe.

Before anyone on the street knew what had happened, a transport slid across the tarmac in front of a grim looking alley where a shadowy figure jumped inside. It almost looked like a… Sanhedrin. As fast a bullet the transport pulled away into the night.

“I’m sure if… if you have a proper analysis done on the samples, you will find their composition to be typical of the rivers in Man’grevi.”

The feline’s story checked out. Malief settled himself, eyes never leaving Brezzo’s.

“Relax… I just wanted to test the water. Mason has not addressed me personally so I try to be wary when approached by… strangers.” He shifted his hood back on, but not enough to cover his eyes. “As for knowing your name – I didn’t. I just tapped into your mind.”

The samples slowly flowed back into the backpack, each one in the exact slot they had been wildly unleashed from. Once each piece was back in its place, Malief floated the bag delicately into Brezzo’s hands.

“I am still… dissatisfied with the reception, which you have no influence on of course. But Mason will not be receiving his… benefits. Not yet anyway.” The cat threw the bag over his shoulder, standing tall and ready to argue that the job was done and the reward was expected. The Sanhedrin had other ideas.

“You composed yourself well, in what can only be described as unexpected circumstances. I have a request, if you please.”

Brezzo stood back offended and would not hear a word more. “No. No more. I don’t want any part of this dirty business. I didn’t want to be part of it in the first place.”

“My request is purely innocent I assure you. All I ask is for the samples to be analysed and the reports to be brought to me. Nothing more.” The Sanhedrin made his way across the room, towards the guest doors.

“You will be rewarded handsomely.” Malief said over his shoulder. “Mason will not receive a credit until I have those reports, and am… satisfied.” He plugged the security camera back in and retired to his personal guest room, with a Douway soldier on guard outside.

4. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Brezzo Corum

Brezzo stood there in the grand hall, now oddly silent, and stared towards the door Malief now resided behind with a mix of disappointment and unhappiness. Not only did he fail to fill Mason's odd request, but now the ignorant middle man had to do even more work for reasons and purposes he did not know. The whole situation was well beyond his comfort zone.

Finally, he turned about and deliberately walked back out of the hall through the same doors he had come in through. To his relief, Mason had retired from the lounge, and so Brezzo silently made his way back to his own room. Surely things would be easier to think about in the morning. Surely there was a point to all the mystery and tension surrounding the black bag Brezzo dropped at the foot of his bed. Brezzo splashed his face, drank a cup of warm water, then another, and fell face-first into the warmth of his bed. He hoped for a distracting dream tonight, for the morning would bring little rest.

5. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Tezz

"well damn, hmm... we were close but that stupid fool messed up everything." He looked up at Fay, I'm going to try tracking him, if he used any of his abilities I'll know, besides I now know where he lives." Tezz smirked. Thanks for all your help Fay, I'll contact you when I have something." With that Tezz turned to leave, plotting his next move."

6. Love to Write

Fay Aladora

"Thanks for all your help Fay, I'll contact you when I have something." Tezz said as he turned to leave.
    "Wait a minute!" She cried out knocking the chair over as she hastened to follow him. Her short black hair bounced around her face as she moved. "That's it? Your just gonna leave?" She suddenly reliezed how annoying she must sound and crossed her arms putting an annoyed expression on her face. "You'd better come back...and with more info on how we can get to earth. Or else." She couldn't think of a satisfying threat so she let him use his imagination. Not that she would ever follow through with it, but he didn't need to know that.

7. Exzalia

Tezz

"um...I'm sorry if I offended you, was I supposed to do something?" Tezz said looking generally confused. "You must forgive me I was never good with being social, but don't worry I wouldn't dream of reaching Domu with out you."

Tess put his fist to his chest. "I will return! I promise." And with that he was off, his hood still down.

8. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

The Plot Thickens

Inirum Veral

The gunship squadron glided over the plains, flying low and silent. Gibran City was only a few clicks away. All night, Imperuim forces had been silently deploying into the countryside, setting up artillery and forward commands. In exactly 20 minutes, the attack would begin.

It would be a battle though; ever since Markus Gibrani had been taken into custody, his sons had been fortifying the city. Shield walls surrounded the Palace, and the full force of Gibrani conscripts had been marshalled. The Gibrani gunships, while not equal to the Imperial ships, were patrolling the perimeter. There was no way that Gibrani didn’t know what was coming. There were even rumors that they had hired a rather well know Duren merc.

The ships drew ever closer, their suspensor jets humming softly. Through the viewport, Inirum could see the towering spires and parapets of Gibran. The building all had a look like polished brass, and steam and smoke rose from factories stacks.

He checked the time on heads up display, 3 minutes to attack time. The Gibrani ships had spotted them, and were moving to intercept, but it was too late.

“Open fire.” Inirum broadwaved the order on every imperial frequency. Gibrani would know that the hammer of the Imperium was about to fall.

The hills rang with artillery fire, rockets being launched from gunships. The Imperial Siege of Giban had begun.

Joshua Foresyth

Joshua had woken early and was preparing to leave for Coranum when he ran into his father.

“What are you doing up so early?” Wilhelm asked.

“I was planning on going into Coranum, to pay a visit to the church...” Joshua remembered their conversation from the night before, how his father didn’t trust the church.

“I was planning on going back to Coranum as well, to pay my respects to David Douway. He’s taking refuge with house Jarn. I’d stay away from the church if I were you.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be careful, but It’s been a long time since I’ve been, and I feel like I need to go.” Joshua relied.

“Well, I’ll not stand between you and your search for god.” Wilhelm said, not entirely agreeably, but he knew there was no changing his son’s mind. “We should take the same shuttle in though.”

A little later, they were both back on the shuttle on their way to Coranum. The space lanes were clogged with Principe Militum ships, so they were forced to use low atmosphere routes. Joshua wondered why there were so many Militum ships out. It made him feel uneasy.

About halfway through the flight, Wilhelm received an urgent call, informing him that Gibran was under attack.

The Imperial Prison

Markus Gibrani sat in shackles in a dirty cell, a large bloody welt on his forehead, his clothes torn and dirty. A guard walked up and opened the cell door.

“Come along traitor. You’ve been summoned.”

Gibrani spat. “I’d rather die.” The soldier smacked Gibrani in the face with the stock of his rifle, then hoisted him up by the arm. Another came and they dragged him out of the cell.

“You Imperial dogs, soon you won't be able to stop us, you won’t be able to stop the revolution.” He muttered, almost incoherently. Finally they dragged him into a courtroom. Inside were several high ranking Principe Militum officials, along with two Sanhedrin advisors. One of the Sanhedrin was Atrus, adviser to the Emperor. The other was Modain, Atrus aide. The two stood, enveloped in black robes, on a podium next to General Asirad, high commander of the Principe Militum.

“Markus Gibrani,” Asirad began. “You have been accused of treason against the God Emperor Armek, and the Throne of Surmarack. Do you have anything to say in your defense?” A low, calm voice that seemed to come from everywhere at once chuckled.

“We know he is guilty Asirad, why must we bother with these formalities?” Atrus asked.

“The forms must be followed.” Asirad replied. Gibrani looked up at them and sneered.

“Go to hell.” Was all that Gibrani said.

“I see that you remain defiant. Very well.” Asirad continued. “Duke Marcus Gibrani, you are hereby stripped of you title and house. All you lands and assets are hereby commandeered by the Imperium. Any resistance will be treated as an act of war. Do you understand?”

“Is this all the trial I get? Bah! I’ll tell you what i understand! My sons will fight tooth and nail to preserve our liberties! Do you understand me! Tooth and nail!” Gibrani cried.

“In one weeks time, you will be executed for treason.” Asirad slammed a gavel down on the parapet. “Now get this worthless scum out of here!” He ordered, and the guards moved to obey.

“We won’t go down without a fight, you hear me! We won’t go quietly!” Gibrani kept shouting as they dragged him out.

Babylon Will Fall

Veeta’s comm buzzed, the display reading, ‘The Scarlet Beast’.

“Hello.” She answered.

“We have a mission for you. There will be a package waiting for you outside the Islam Temple in central Coranum. Take it, bring it to the Suvos Mactan temple. The instructions will be inside. The stage is set, we’re counting on you Veeta.” The distorted voice cut off.

A cruiser lingered at the edge of the Solar System, it’s black hull blending in perfectly with that inky expanse of space. Aboard, a figure set down the transmitter, ending his conversation with the Suvos Mactan contact. Everything was going acording to plan, but for now, all they could do was wait.

9. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Veeta

The device planted by the dark matter that emerged from Veeta’s suit recorded a bit of the conversation between Malief and Brezzo…

These items…. I wonder what’s their true value… a dirty business huh?

She was caught on her thoughts when the comm fired the voice of “that person” through her ears.

“Hello” answered through the comm

“We have a mission for you. There will be a package waiting for you outside the Islam Temple in central Coranum. Take it, bring it to the Suvos Mactan temple. The instructions will be inside. The stage is set, we’re counting on you Veeta.”

The voice was distorted, obviously for security measures, Veeta was just another pawn in the game of this organization, however she also deep inside was using them for her own objectives.

The earth was such a beautiful planet, or at least is it said no?
    Thought Veeta while retrieving back the Dark Matter to some spot inside her suit…

I guess is time to do another job for now… She felt disappointed… actually she was bursting with curiosity regarding the obscure business that the two guys were talking about, still she had to do what would benefit her objective on the first place. So she quickly left the place.

……………………………………………

Islam Temple

It didn’t took too much time as she thought it would do, and the most surprising part was how there was nothing to interrupt her mission, usually there are always some guys that bothers one in the way, but this time all was clean.

She retrieved the package, yet didn’t open it until she make sure that it was safe to do it.

Inside the package there was a letter, and…. Certain object. She carefully read the letter, her eyes widened and sparkled, this was just perfect.

So they will play this card? That’s some nice toy, now I’m excited

…………………………………………

Suvos Mactan Temple

Crimson river flow on the floor in front of the door that guarded the entrance to the basement. Guards always have unlucky fates she thought while using the dark matter to hack the door’s security… this Dark matter was a very useful technology; plasmatic matter able to change to solid, liquid or gas, able to take any form desired by the user, and also it just required thought to work as the device that controlled it’s “behavior” was directly injected into the neural system of Veeta. It was the perfect tool to steal, spy, protect and kill. And as it was a secret, very few where aware of its existence, so no one was able to notice what was happening before being beheaded by a black blade.

She make sure that there were no one to interrupt her… , of course also hid the bodies of the dead guards so no one would notice what happened, and then she carefully “hid it” in some blind spot. After that she escaped from the church…. Things were gonna get even more interesting from now on

10. PolaDora

PolaDora Member

No truce, no allegiance. Only deviance.

Fire in the sky. Shrieking metal demons. Thunderous booms so loud, a soldier felt as if he were amidst something more than just a siege. The machina of death marched so powerfully and executed so flawlessly, they could have been the instruments of heaven itself. Surely, were a civilization one million years behind in technology to witness such a quake, they would have no other explanation than to proclaim it a holy war among Gods.

For those without the luxury of cruising in a gunship, such as large portions of the Gibrani militia, the real fear of this power was much heavier on their hearts and minds. They watched, still safe behind the shields of Gibrani capitol, as the Imperium's initial artillery fire arced in the air and whizzed like angry spirits towards them. Thin flashes of white-blue lasers cut from the ground into the clouds, prematurely detonating many of these missiles. The remaining fraction collapsed into the fortified shields and exploded before the eyes of Gibrani soldiers. Eventually, they thought, this shield must fall. Eventually, they knew, they would pay for the treason of their leaders. Morale was low, even among these brave men.

But the wise harbored no hope in them anyways. They knew such men could win no battle with Imperium, however drawn out it became. The only way to win, or perhaps, the only way to "neutralize" this engagement, was to act swiftly. Thus began the first of two acts to plant discord among the Imperium gunships. An unheard voice gave a command, and an unseen hand operated a panel. From a shadowed valley on the west side of Gibrani capitol launched six of their largest and most powerful gunships. Scavenging and developing technology was the secret passion of many Gibrani officials, and their military program had flourished as a result. These gunships could rival the power of Imperium, but not their numbers.

Five of these gunships rode in front, level in altitude and arranged in a V. They were fully staffed with able men, and all weapons were trained towards the enemies front line. The sixth gunship, traveling in shroud within the V formation, was an anomaly compared to its companions. Fortified to a fault, it looked more like a flying chunk of some cyber city than a manueverable ship. And this was mostly true, it could do little more than adjust its direction enough to keep from crashing. Aboard this ship not a single soul drew breathe. It was completely unmanned and flew on autopilot remotely from Gibrani capitol. It was armored beyond recognition of its former self, and filled with a treasurey of explosives.

The general at the helm of these gunships stepped forward onto the bridge. He loaded his image onto an interface for all to see. "Men. I have the order. On my command..." All aboard were silent as the Gibrani gunships accelerated into firing range. Every turret and missile aligned for the center of Imperium's fleet. "Fire!" All five gunships, spaced apart only enough to avoid friendly fire, unloaded hell in a symphony of synchronicity. A marvelous firework display to mark the beginning of this bloodletting. Hundreds of thousands of individual bullets and missiles came forth. Most were simply intended to dent away at Imperium's shields, while others harboured more intelligent malevolence. Their speed would drop a breathe from colliding with the shields, and would thus be able to pass through them before exploding within. This, of course, only if the missiles were lucky enough to make it that far.

Such a brash, foolish move. Such foolhardyness. What a waste of ammunition and power to do little more than make Imperium angry. At the least, this is what the Gibrani officials hoped their adversaries were thinking. "Smokescreen up! Climb, climb!" the general hollared, courage and energy booming from his voice. Every gunship, including the unmanned fortress ship, quickly began to climb into the sky. At this same moment, another volley of projectiles were launched, though this time vertically and directly infront of the Gibrani ships themselves. As they exploded, one after another, they created a wall of black smoke surging with purple sparks. A visual and magnetic smokescreen to veil the escape of the Gibrani airships. The explosions continued, rising higher and higher until they challenged the atmospheric heights. Five gunships peeled and veered back towards their ranks, where the Gibrani militia cheered.

The sixth gunship, the mammoth, sailed into the abyss above the smokescreen. As its thrusters slowed and could no longer carry its ascent, the bridge aboard the fortress calibrated its new destination; Utter annihilation. From its belly came forth a tidal wave of black smoke, which polluted the sky above and spread like a hungry acid. To those below, this would look like nothing more than the large tail-end of the smokescreen that had been used to retreat. In actuality, it was the foreboding of Gibrani's first real attack.

Like an unstoppable doom train, the fortress gunship began its momentous descent. Its rear thrusters exploded into overdrive, sending plumes of blue flame higher into the sky. By the time the ship punched through the smokescreen, the speed it had accumilated would be alarmingly immense. The innumerable tonnes of fortified space metals catapulted towards the heart of Imperium's fleet; Its chief gunship. Giftwrapped beneath the armor of Gibrani's suicide ship was a plethora of explosives, rigged to explode on impact. However, if the Imperium gunships were to somehow predict and evade, the bombs would be prematurely detonated in the sky to spread as much flaming wreckage as possible.

Somewhere on the shrouded Earth, hidden in stealth suits from the history that unfolded, Galigut and his unit observed intently through the remaining seconds. Never had time stood so still, where even the smallest moment sparked an infinity of life within his blood. His skin boiled. Galigut wanted nothing more than to be that essence, that fury that could incinerate anything in its path. His time would come. For now, he remained still in respect of the God of Death. In its wake would the space Ork's make their move.

11. Pheonix

Inirum Veral

All of a sudden, a squad of heavy Gibrani gunships was making a charge. The whole Gibrani fleet seemed to be supporting them, unloading everything they had on the incoming Imperium forces. One gunship went down from the force of the initial assault, two missiles got under it's shields at the same time, and the explosion knocked out it's suspensor jets, sending it plummeting into the ground below.

"Something isn't right..." Inirum said as he observed the radar screen, "They're protecting that middle ship there... but why?" His own ship had opened fire, missiles spilled out and the railgun bucked, but Inirum was still watching the radar. Finally he made a decision and opened the Command Line.

"All ships, concentrate on that middle ship!" Inirum ordered over the radio. Just as he finished the order though, the ships veered up and deployed a high smoke screen. Something was definitely wrong. A moment later, a lone smoke trail flew out of the top, at first looking like just a stray cloud, but quickly turning into the middle ship. And it was barreling towards the Imperium Fleet.

"Scatter! Scatter! Get out of the path of that ship!" Inirum cried, but to late. The ship was a second away, about to hit Inirum's ship. But his pilot was the best there was, he swung the ship down and sideways, narrowly missing the Kamikaze ship's path. A second later though, the ship was rocked by a massive explosion. The shields took most of the damage, but the shock wave was so powerful that it sent the ship tumbling, out of control. Most of the other ships were still in the air. Another had taken a piece of shrapnel through the viewport and was plummeting, and two had been flying lower than the bomb ship and were thrown into the ground, still intact, but badly damaged.

"Brace for impact!" Inirum called to his men, just as the ship smashed into the ground, skidding a a few hundred meters and flipping. The ship was definitely demobilized, but everyone seemed to be alright, their armor took most of the crash. Inirum pushed himself up, dazed but alive.

"Move men! Get out of this ship and draw your weapons! There will certainly be a fight for us when we get out!"

This may prove more difficult that I thought.

12. Love to Write

Fay Aladora

"This situation is getting out of control. This is what...the third house to be attacked in a matter of days?" Erik Aladora said, stabbing the air with his fork.
    "I understand why the emporer would attack Gibriani but the other houses..." Grandfather Aladora sighed and shook his head, "The war has begun. The Emporer is taking over the houses. It won't be long till he gets to house Aladora and they discover what we've been doing."
    "I can't believe the houses are just sitting by and letting him do this. Why don't they fight back!"
    "You've seen what happens to those who defy the lord-emporer. Look at what happend to Gibriani..."

Fay listened to her father and grandpapa talk, though she barely listened. As she pushed a bean across her plate, she thought about Tezz and his crazy plan to kill the emporer before they escaped to earth. She got his reasoning. The emporer wouldn't be able to stop them if he was dead but still, it was suicide mission. She had know idea how he planned to survive the encounter. What if they emporer got to house Aladora before they were ready. He'd slaughter them...then they'd never get to earth.
    She dropped her fork on her plate suddenly no longer hungry.
    "Fay!"
    Fay looked up.
    "Are you ok, dear? You look pale." Her father asked worridley.
    "I'm fine." She managed a half smile. "Just not feeling that great. May I be excused?"
    Her father nodded and she took off up the stairs to her room. She needed to do some more research.

13. Pheonix

The Suvos Mactan Temple

It was evening in Coranum again. Deep in the basement of the Suvos Mactan Temple, the package that Veeta had placed was blinking green, once every second. The blinking began to speed, then the light turned yellow. As it continued to speed, the light turned red, and finally went solid, no longer blinking. The command code had been sent, there was no stopping it now. And no one even knew it was there. The reaction inside took effect, bombarding the catalyst with Ions in a directed flow, channeling all the energy upward.

Above, an Acolyte was just about to bring Master Ankani Din his evening meal. As she turned the door handle, there was a piercing light, the temple shook and she was thrown back into a wall, the hand she had opened the door with was gone. And before her, a bright light flooded upward into the sky.

The burning light shone through the entirety of Coranum, a pillar of fire reaching out into space. The pillar bomb, so named because of it's directed high energy explosion burned upward through the temple, shaking the whole city, Incinerating anything in it's path. It had been placed directly underneath the grand spire of the church, and in turn the chambers of Ankani Din. It had been verified that he was in them. This was a precision strike of the grandest kind. Ankani Din was dead.

Joshua Forsyth

Joshua had just arrived in the city, and his father had headed off to visit the Jarns. Joshua was heading into the Suvos Mactan Temple when suddenly a pillar of light burst out of the middle of the temple, blasting up and out, sending a shockwave that knocked Joshua from his feet. He pushed himself up as the light faded away, leaving a gaping hole where the grand spire had been.

The Courier

Tezz was still searching for the Sanhedrin. He'd been at it all day, but to no avail. Suddenly, a pale looking man approached him out of an alley in the market district.

"Tezriac?" The man asked. "I have been instructed to bring this to you." He handed him an envelope. Strange to use paper in this day and age. "Open it, and you'll have 20 minutes before it disintegrates. Good luck, and compliments of the Scarlet Beast."

14. Exzalia

Tezz couldn't believe it, the letter was a map of the palace revealing places that were probably even hidden to the guards. Information on the emperors abilities, gaurd shifts. It was all here!

"Wait who are you? What are the scarlet beasts?" The man however was gone. Tezz smiled, "I am not the only one. Allys in dark places, working together without knowing. Thank you scarlet beasts. I will return with the emperor's head to your door step."

Tezz began makeing his way towards the palace, grinning. He was going to make history.

15. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

Renaith Nelvas

With a sharp gasp, Renaith awoke. His back jerked up from the comfort of his bed and he clutched his chest, his breaths as laboured as though he'd just run a full marathon. From what he could recall of his vivid dreams--and the Isthian diplomat had a very good memory--it wasn't a far-fetched description. He'd been running away all night long in his dreams: running from the Coranum, running from the Suvos Mactan Temple, running from the Gibrani embassy, running from Emperor Armek's chambers, running away from Surmarack itself. All that running, and he'd simply wound up right back in his bed where he'd first started his long, pointless race.

The nightmares were getting more and more frequent, he'd observed. At first, they hadn't troubled him much--that was, until they'd started coming true. Like all Isthus, Renaith had some innate control over the Flow, though he wasn't as proficient with it as most others of his race. Perhaps that was why his ominous premonitions came to him only in his dreams. Renaith sorely wished his visions would stop haunting him every night, though. In his dreams, the diplomat had no way to control his thoughts and impulses the way he did while he was awake, and that bothered him more than he wanted to admit.

After the terrible scenes that were still running through his mind--a deadly assault on House Gibrani, an attack on the Suvos Mactan Temple, and even an attempt on the life of the Emperor himself--Renaith had no desire to fall back into restless slumber. The Isthian diplomat took a few deep breaths to regain his composure, then got out of bed and made a beeline for the kitchen. He thought to drown his worries in coffee, strong and black. Dawn hadn't even broken yet.

Thinking it safe to turn on the news, Renaith pressed a button and turned on the television screen in the kitchen. Immediately afterward, he regretted it. The images that flashed by him showed the destruction of the central spire of the Suvos Mactan Temple, with the bodies of the dead and injured littering the area. Reports were coming in, announcing that Ankani Din had perished in the assault. Next were blurry video images of an aerial assault on House Gibrani, massive gunships lighting up the darkened kitchen with their violent explosions. Renaith's heart sank down into the pit of his stomach: his dreams were two for three, and he hadn't even finished his morning coffee.

That left only one nightmare that still hadn't come to pass: the attempt on the Emperor's life. While it wasn't unusual for the Emperor to receive threats on his life, they were rarely ever serious. This one, however, seemed better planned, as though the assassin knew exactly where to find the undying ruler, what the palace weaknesses were, and how best to exploit them. Renaith gulped down the rest of his coffee, sped back to his room to change into his clothes, headed out the door and got into his shuttle. The time for feeling sorry for himself had passed; now was the time for action. If the diplomat could not stop the attack on Gibrani or the assault on the Temple, then he could at least prevent another terrible tragedy from happening.

However, Renaith first thought to make a quick pit stop before heading for the palace. He directed his shuttle near the remains of the Suvos Mactan Temple. Luckily it seemed like the central spire had taken the brunt of the assault, since most of the rest of the temple remained relatively untouched. Still, there was chaos everywhere. That was to be expected, of course. None of the worshippers had expected such a violent blast nor the assassination of their spiritual leader. It troubled Renaith a great deal, and not only that someone would sacrifice so many innocent lives for the sake of killing one man. With that thought running through his mind, the diplomat landed his shuttle and got out. He turned towards the entrance to the temple and walked inside, weaving his way through the rubble as he hung his head in silence. He would need courage and strength to overcome the difficult days ahead.

After a moment, though, Renaith lifted his head and spotted what looked to be a vaguely familiar figure. It took him only a few seconds to realize who it was. "Master Joshua?" he called out softly. "Are you unharmed?"

16. Pheonix

Joshua Foresyth

"Master Joshua?" he called out softly. "Are you unharmed?"

Joshua was sitting in the courtyard of the temple, watching the emergency crews removing the dead and treating the wounded. But when he hear the voice, he turned and saw a familiar face.

"Ambassador Nevlas? I'm fine, I was just going into the temple when the bomb went off. What are you doing here?"

Joshua hadn't seen the ambassador since earlier in the year at a function of one of the great houses in Coranum.

17. PolaDora

PolaDora Member

A taste of Duren warfare.

The battle between Imperium and House Gibrani raged on. Before their desperate opening attack, House Gibrani's meager numbers could not have compared to the offensive before them. Even now, the generals and leaders weighing their options saw little hope to push Imperium back. But what other option did they have than to try? This was a race against time. If, or when Imperium took the city, these few elites needed to have their secrets moved off-ring and away from Armek's grip. One official in particular, who's true name was hidden behind his falsified identity within the House, had left as soon as Markus had committed treason. This official would play a larger role in greater struggles to come. Now, in this moment however, history belonged to the soldiers dying on Gibrani soil.

The collapsing of Imperium's lead gunship brought a chorus of morale and adrenaline through the rebellion's ranks. Capitalizing on this, before Imperium gunships could re-establish a clear advantage, House Gibrani ordered a full attack. Militia deployed in units of five hundred, carrying shield projectors at the center of their units. These devices fired up a spire that arced into a dome over each party, and could protect against some of the Gunships weapons for a time. In addition, every unit carried energy mortars to be set up every few hundred yards. These would fire at any gunship in proximity, attempting to deactivate their shields. This reaction would destroy the energy mortars as well, and so they were left behind and avoided by any ground forces. The militia themselves would fire on any un-shielded gunship, attempt to board any ship that was grounded, and engage any ground force that the Imperium deployed.

House Gibrani commanded twelve military Gunships in total, one of which had just been thrown at Inirum. That man still lived, and though his gunship had fallen, it still remained operational. The attack was a likely failure, however glorious the attempt had been. The eleven that remained returned to the battle field to combat in the air. Several of these carried militia units to be dropped off further into the field of battle. They would fight as hard as their technology allowed, but would ultimately retreat if their shields fell, to avoid having their entire army blown away.

Gibrani leader's first gamble had been a failure, and they had even less faith in their second. Nevertheless they monitored on, expecting the Duren Galigut to make his move. At that moment, the mercenary lord and his fellow space Orks were closing in from the rear flank of the battlefield. They wore suits that projected the terrain onto their bodies, stealthing them into the landscape. Their transports were cloaked in radar and heat dampening fields, so that Imperium ships would not detect them until within strike range. Galigut's mission was simple, opportunistic, and ultimately disloyal to his contractor. He and his mercenaries, numbered enough to arrange into two parties, would attempt to board and hijack Imperium gunships. If they succeeded, they would only battle Imperium as much as necessary to make an escape. Afterwards, the mercenary lord and his thugs would blast into off-ring to pursue a greater agenda.

Both parties split in separate directions, each targeting a gunship on the fringe of Imperium's line that were not currently engaged against Gibrani. They skirted quickly along on top of flat carriers. Thirty 3x3 foot panels covered the top of these vehicles, and a single Duren was locked in onto each one. Within the vehicles operating system, another two Duren were busy calibrating the distance and environment conditions between them and the gunships. At last, when each carrier arrived directly beneath the gunships, mere moments after being detected, the time had come.

"Kill 'till you're inside the bridge. Put the overrides where I told you!" growled Galigut. Each panel activated and launched from the carriers, streaming into the sky. The boots that the Duren wore had magnetic polarizers that currently locked them securely onto the panels; Nothing else held them down. As the panels ascended their speed drastically dropped, allowing the remaining momentum to carry them slowly and neatly inside the outer shields. From here, the Duren's unlocked their boots and reversed polarizers while throwing themselves into the air. Both the magnetic repulsion and energy boosters in the center of their boots launched them the remaining distance to the ships. Sixty Duren(thirty on each ship) spun in unison, kicking their boots into the hull. The magnetic polarizers calibrated the type of metal found within the fraction of a second, and hunkered them down onto the gunships underbelly. *Thunnnk!*

Each Ork wasted no time in grasping for their rifles, at the end of which were three separate barrels. Like a chain gun they began rotating, and then a concentrated laser shot forth. They operated in groups of two or three, slowly carving semi-circles that penetrated through the first layers of reinforcement. Soon they would be inside. Many of the Duren would die during the initial breach, but they wouldn't go down easy. These warriors were of the hardest sort, and the sweet taste of glory boiled their blood. In addition to their laser rifles and thrown explosives, each Duren favored a melee weapon of some kind. Gravity hammers, blades or power fists. Galigut himself wielded a large hammer. At its business end, the 150 lb molar of some giant space monster. Barbaric and fear-inspiring, Galigut had crushed far more skulls with it than when it was still in the mouth of the beast.

Coranum, Imperial Palace, Prison Sector.

Surmarack was a busy place in these days of war and upheaval. While the common folk were busy in fear, the nobles were busy protecting their assets. Higher still, the government and military figures were busy protecting images, conspiring against their enemies, and chronically watching their backs. Lark was one of the reasons that these figures watched their back and covered their tracks, even if they didn't know it. He had no name, no title, and nothing to lose. The perfect weapon against people who thought they could protect what they "owned", and who coveted their mountain of matter more than anything else.

Five days ago, an Imperial prison official had died; And no one knew about it. He was taken by an agency that worked through house Gibrani, but had no direct alignment to that house or any other. His appearance, shape, retina and voice were all graphed into a computer and emulated into a sort of cast, a "Doppelhusk". The remaining components such as behavior, memory and job knowledge were extracted from the brain and observed by the eventual host of the Doppelhusk; The doppelganger Lark. A spy, actor and sometime assassin that currently sat within the Imperial prison, supervising video feeds and typing data into a terminal. Everything about him had become the man he killed; nothing save a close examination of DNA would betray him. The doppelhusk had to be reformed every two days. This husk was two-hours fresh, the third time he had worn such skin.

Lark had sent a video message to the friends and families of the dead man, explaining that dire, confidential matters required he work extensive overtime. He sent them periodic messages, bought them gifts, and talked to his co-workers about how he missed his supposed family. Anything to extend his visit within the prison sector, anything in order that he complete his mission. Although such an infiltration offered many opportunities to gather intelligence and acquire confidential objects, Lark's central mission was to keep a lifeline open for the extraction of Markus Gibrani.

Lark and his faction held no loyalty for Markus, but they were aware of the power he wielded. He could not be allowed to die, for he had access to information and connections that they coveted very much. The leaders of Lark's faction, and Lark's lifelong mentor were Alaouda, and believed that the time for a return to Earth was at hand. They believed Armek had his reasons for preventing any knowledge of Sol to leak, and that he was unjust in doing so. Should the God-King die? They thought not, but had they the power when the time came, nothing was beneath them. Markus Gibrani was still needed for their purpose, and were the execution to stand, Lark was the man to get him out.

18. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

Renaith Nelvas

"Ambassador Nelvas? I'm fine, I was just going into the temple when the bomb went off. What are you doing here?"

Renaith was afraid Joshua would ask that question. As a Loyalist and a member of the Diplomaticum, the lanky Isthian really should not have had much business at the Suvos Mactan Temple. However, considering the harrowing events that had just occurred, his presence at the Temple was not so farfetched.

"I heard over the news of the attack on the Temple, master Joshua," Renaith replied, his tone calm but his eyes showing a glimmer of fussy concern. "I felt I had to come to see for myself how extensive the damage was and how many innocents perished." The diplomat cast a slightly worried look over the rubble. "I suppose things could have turned out far worse had the explosion spread beyond the central spire. Still, enough damage was done. Too much, I should think."

Too much damage, indeed, for an entire group of Suvos Mactan faithful: in one fell and violent swoop, their leader had been assassinated. Yet another matter Renaith figured he would have to look into at some point--should he receive orders from the Imperium to investigate.

"But enough of that," the diplomat said as he turned once more to Joshua. "Does Lord Foresyth know you are here? If so, he will be worried about your safety, I'm sure."

19. Pheonix

Joshua Foresyth

"But enough of that," the diplomat said as he turned once more to Joshua. "Does Lord Foresyth know you are here? If so, he will be worried about your safety, I'm sure."

"I don't know, last I heard, my father was going to visit the Jarn Embassy, he knew I was coming here though." Joshua wondered about his father for a moment. "But I'm sure that you have more important people that you need to see given the situation Ambassador, and thank you for your concern. I assure you I'm alright." Joshua said politely, he didn't want to keep the man from his duties.

Across the city Wilhelm Foresyth was speeding in his car to the Suvos Mactan Temple. It had been several hours since the initial attack, and the roadways had gotten so congested that there was no way to get there any sooner. As he drew closer and saw the empty space where the great spire had been his heart sunk. An explosion of that magnitude, powerful enough to destroy the grand Durium monument would surely have killed everyone in the Temple. There was an Imperial block on infrawave communication, and the personal comm network was down, so he had no way of getting a hold of his son. Finally the car stopped infront of the temple and Wilhelm ran to the security checkpoint, but was held back by a well meaning, but never-the-less irritating security officer.

"You don't understand, I am Wilhelm Foresyth, the Duke of Forsythia, and my son was inside there!" He said frantically.

"Dad!" Joshua cried when he saw his father at the checkpoint. He dismissed himself from Renaith and ran to his father.

"Joshua! Are you alright?" Wilhelm cried upon seeing his son.

"I'm fine." Joshua replied. "Another minute and I wouldn't have been though." He said, shaken. Joshua was amazed that he was still alive.

"C'mon, let's go home." Wilhelm said.

Inirum Veral

Inirum and his men had quickly spotted the energy mortars being left by the Gibrani troops and were moving to disable them when all of a sudden a ground transport came over the hill in front of them. It was loaded with Duren.

Reacting on instinct, Inirum shouted "Open Fire!" His 25 men began unloading high energy kinetic rounds at the transport, shredding anything unshielded that they hit. The problem was, the Duren were shielded, and far more powerful in close combat than ranged. As they began climbing from the wreckage, Inirum lined his men up, drawing his sword, a great double bladed bastard sword, that coursed with electricity.

Once the majority of the Duren had gotten to their feet, but before they had regained their senses, Inirum cried, "Charge! For the Imperium!" His men surged forward and the bloodbath ensued.

The Duren were caught completely off guard, and initially looked like they were going to be routed, but quickly regrouped and started fighting back, hard.

Coranum Market District

Outside of the Aladora Map shop stood a tall Lynxine with a missing ear and a long scar down his face, one eye gone.

"You're sure?" He said, one hand on his temple, using a communicator.

"I understand, I'll find the girl and get her to lead me to the database." He hung up and strode towards the closed map shop. Going around back into the alleyway, he checked to make sure no one was following him, and no one was in sight. At the rear entrance to the shop, he produced a small pen like device which he pointed at the lock, a moment later the door swung open. As he entered, he pulled a pistol out of his coat pocket. The shop was dark inside, lit only by the light from motion activated holo displays of the maps. He quietly moved through the store, to the back room. Once inside he started rifling through files and documents, searching for anything that would lead him to his objective.

Anything that would lead him to the location of Paradisus, Earth.

20. Love to Write

Fay Aladora: The Intruder

Fay climbed out her bedroom window and eased herself down the fire escape and onto the street. Wrapping her cloak closer to her body she headed for the Aladora map shop. For some reason she was feeling stressed, and organizing the maps and updating them always seemed to relax her. After several minutes of walking she came to the shop. Fay was about to unlock it but noticed that the door was left open.
    Strange.
    She pushed it open and locked it behind her. The maps spun happily and she flipped the lights on. This place always made her smile. Fay laid her cloak on the table and headed for the back room where most of the unfinished maps were kept.
    The Lynxine spun at the sound of the door opening and was shocked and delighted to see his target standing right in front of him.

"Well hello there miss Aladora." He raised the pistol in his hand to point at her. "I've been sent here to find something, and you know where it is."

Fay paled and raised her hands. "We...we don't have anything of value here."

"That's not what I heard. What I heard, and from a very reliable source, I might add, was that you had the coordinates to Earth, or Paradisus as your people have grown accustomed to calling it." His eye had a hard edge to it that betrayed his amiable tone. "So young lady, there's an easy way, and a hard way to go about doing this. What'll it be?"

How could this creature know this? Had Tezz betrayed her. It was the only obvious explantion. At the moment however she had bigger problems to deal with.
    "Even if I did have this alleged set of coordinates to earth what makes you think I'd give them to you? So you can give them to the emporer? I'd rather die first."

"To the Emperor, no. Honestly, I don't know why my employer wants those coordinates, frell, I don't even know who my employer is, but I'm being paid handsomely for it. And what makes me think you'll give them to me is that I have a gun, and you do not." He smirked.

Fay did have a gun actually. A stun gun. But it was in a holster on her leg. She couldn't reach it at the moment. Brilliant, put your only weapon where you can't reach it.
    At least this man didn't work for the emporer. That opened up other possiblities. She could give him the fake map she made and hope he'd be none the wiser.
    "Ok." She gestured with her head the to front of the shop. "The cooridnates are in there. In the safe." She lied.

"Alright." The Lynxine said. Still with the pistol leveled on her. They stood there awkwardly for a moment. "Um... I don't know the combination to the safe girly. If you would be so kind as to open it?" He gestured to the ground level safe at the front of the store.

Fay turned and walked slowly to the safe. She knelt down and began to press random buttons. With a swift move she made as if to open but instead pulled out her stun gun, spun and shot it without hesitation.

The Lynxine saw her tense, knew what was coming and dodged out of the way of the first shot, but she shot again and nailed him in the stomach.

"That was good..." He said as he sank to the floor stunned.

21. PolaDora

PolaDora Member

The Duren ambush had failed. Imperium's reaction-time was nearly supernatural. In their counter initiative, one Duren transport had been completely destroyed. The shields fell and the kinetic rounds punctured the vehicle until it combusted and exploded. Only 6 Duren were quick enough in getting their boots unhinged in time. The rest were now burning corpses or limbless worms crawling blindly from the wreckage.

Galigut's transport had traveled to the rear flank of the first, and had thus two or three more precious moments to brace themselves. They swerved and braked, and as the kinetic rounds collided around them, Gali's transport unit converted to a defensive posture. All panels save five(for emergency measures) were shifted to the front and top, their surfaces channeled with magnetic energy. The kinetic rounds that barreled towards them were repelled at the last second, glancing off into the distance or nosediving into the ground before them.

Gali's thirty, and the six that eventually made their way from the wreckage, quickly rallied their nerves and armed themselves. From up the field a ways they noted Inirum's ground forces moving towards them. "Gali, their commander is amongst them!" A sick grin split Galigut's lips, large lower canines protruding through. "The coward's not likely to remain. I will catch the rabbit by its tail before it scamps off!"

Inirum had the upper hand, however, and 10 more Duren would die before they had fortified their position enough. Currently they were engaged with Inirum troops at melee range, and would no longer be pelted by Imperium gunship fire. From their Eastern flank approached Gibrani miltia, though they were not concerned with aiding the Duren. Instead they continued setting up mortars while marching for Inirum's grounded ship.

22. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

David awakes

David awoke under the covers, nestling in the warmth of his bed. Though, it wasn’t his bed – not to him anyway. He emerged from the sea of quilts and glanced around the master guest bedroom at the Jarn Embassy. The one his mother would stay at on diplomat visits. He clutched viciously at the bedding, only to wince in pain from his arm. The hand, once smooth and soft was now brittle, blistered and broken. The agony flowed through his body; the yin to his anger’s yang.

Day was breaking now and it was time to rise, but David couldn’t. The bed was rolling on forever, engulfing him in its cloth and stitching, choking him in his own desolation. The dresser in front of David had been mere feet away the night before, but now stood as an oak mountain in the distance. And the door – the release from this misery and the freedom from his emotions – felt like it was on Earth itself.

His mother’s face continued to dance in his mind, eyes of emerald and a smile so infectious that for a moment he too smiled. But his visions betrayed him, and this face of the past that had brought so much beauty and love, now twisted into deceitful anguish. But no tears fell from his eyes, no sorrow wrestled within him and no sadness held him down. Only one emotion gripped him.

David sat up, eyes wild and unyielding. Silence smothered the air and he stared down at a framed photo on the bedside table, of his mother and the Jarn leader, shaking hands in the completion of their trade agreement. It was all too much. He wrapped his burnt hand around the photo, snapping the glass and delicate craftsmanship before launching the shattered past across the room, into a larger canvas of the Coranum skyline. They collided together, the glass dissolving into tiny fragments that littered the carpet and both pictures slid to the ground, crashing down behind the dresser. It was only then he spotted a figure standing by his door dressed in gorgeous crimson robes.

The boy ramped up to yell abuse, citing invasions of privacy and respecting mourning, but calmed quickly when saw a pair of bright white eyes staring back at him. It was Malief. And David had never been so relieved. An aura surrounded the Sanhedrin, resonating through the air.

“My lord… your hand.” Malief’s concern was justified as dribbles of red ran down David’s arm from the crushed glass.

“I can’t feel it, only the burns. What news do you bring?” David said, finally rising from his bed and dressing himself.

The Sanhedrin moved closer, scouting the room before leaning over to the lad and releasing an unusual, low whisper. “We must leave. Zangir has recovered information from Imperium officials on the murderers of our house members.”

The boy spun, eyes widening. “Who!? who did it?”

“He would not say; others can be listening when using communicators. We must go meet him.”

23. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Kalara

She had just arrived at her chambers when it happened. The church shook. The tremor was like nothing she had ever felt before, and the sound of centuries-old Durium cracking, snapping, and crumbling drowned out all other noise. The high priestess grabbed hold of the lamp on the wall of her room, the heat burning her hands momentarily. It was all she could do to stay on her feet.

It was over just as quickly as it had come. Kalara's heart pumped faster and faster as she relinquished her hold on the light, her magic instantly healing her wounds. She hastily walked over to the window of her room that overlooked the courtyard behind the church, and there witnessed a terrible sight. The central spire of the church was gone. Her heart stopped. What in the divine? The explosion had left only the crumbled Durium and a hazy sky in its wake.

Within the next few minutes, Kalara rushed over to the collapsed spire, desperately hoping that Din was still alive. If their plan was to work, he had to be. Her guard, Tun, had joined her before she reached her destination. The Duren woman no longer donned the robes of an acolyte and had two jagged short swords in her hands.

It was immediately evident that there was no way they could get into the spire, and Kalara's Isthian intuition now only confirmed that the worst had happened. But who would do such a thing, she wondered, not naively. Who could actually be responsible? Was it the Empire? Armek always liked to show he had power, but he usually left the Suvos Mactan to their own. No, that couldn't be it.

Then something dawned on her. It was perfect. A new plan formulated. Yes. Kalara smiled. If anyone could've seen the Spirit Healer at that moment, they would swear that she was mad, and maybe she was, but this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Kalara made her way to the entrance of the church, where dozens of bystanders, emergency services, and reporters stood. It was perfect. Gasps, cheers, and other expressions of relief and surprise echoed from the crowd as the Spirit Healer emerged unscathed from the destruction. The reporters made their way over, all fighting for who would get the best shot, footage, or interview, and as Kalara prepared herself she saw Wilhelm Forsyth, along with his son, Joshua, leaving the scene. The boy was a firm believer of the faith. That may come in useful. But she had other matters to attend to first.*

Cameras, flashes, and questions intruded upon her senses, and then everything else was lost. She didn't hear what anyone was asking in particular, but she didn't need to. The high priestess lifted the hood from her head and took off the veil shrouding her face.

"The time is nigh, my children!" she shouted frantically. Flashes danced from left to right in her vision. "the Harbinger comes! The events of today are only the beginning! Now is the time to unite, to come together and take refuge behind the shield that is Suvos Mactan! The Divine is the only protection you will have!"

She paused for a moment to catch her breath. Some of the cameras were broadcasting everything from vans parked in front of the crowd on giant displays. Kalara could hear people cheering.

"And I offer you that protection wholeheartedly."

There was an uproar. With Din dead, she knew that she was the only one capable of leading the faith. These people needed her, but she also needed them.

24. Exzalia

Tezz, making his move

Tezz made his way to the palace under the cover of dark. Using the flow he disguised his presence. He had spent countless hours memorizing the layout of the palace and he now knew the emperors weakness. He slipped right past the guards striding carefully around the palace wall. He forced energy sensors to either look the other way or break as he passed.
    Ten minutes, I have ten minutes in this guise before I begin to get fatigued.

He caused a wad of cash to roll past more guards, and like the greedy people all men were they momentarily left their post to try catching the large sum of money. Allowing Tezz still cloaked to slip deeper into the palace. Tezz was like a serpent, every security system memorized he weaved through the maze of traps with precision. Finally he reaching the chambers of the old king.

This would be his hardest challenge yet there were several guards waiting before the kings chamber. He had to sneak past them, or kill them, and these ones will not be wooed by wads of cash. But...perhaps.

Tezz approached them in broad view looking reverently. All security had been forced to look the other way at this moment.

Tezz was about to gamble.

25. Love to Write

Fay Aladora

Fay fiddeled with something in her pocket as she watched the authorities cart away the unconcious intruder. Her father stood beside her with an arm around her shoulders.
    "I'm glad you're all right. He could have seriously hurt you." Rapheir said giving her shoulders a squeeze.
    Fay nodded, angry that he had remained unconcious and she didn't get the chance to interrigate him before he was locked away for who knew how long.
    "No more climbing out your window and coming to the shop at night. I don't want something happening to you."
    Fay didn't reply. The police car started with a soft hum and dissappeared into the city.
    "C'mon, lets get back home before your grandmama starts to worry." Rapheir said turning in the direction of home. Fay nodded again.
    When they reached home she automatically went up the stairs and shut the door to her room. Instead of going to bed she sat at her desk and pulled a holo-communicator out of her pocket. She had lifted it off the intruder before he had been taken away. Fay turned it on. Time to find out who his mysterious employer was.