The Iron Dragon of Destiny (Epic Fantasy) (Adventure) (Freeform)

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by Erik-the-Enchanter!, Jun 3, 2019.

1. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Joseph had been about to launch another set of attacks, when the crystal barrier in front of him suddenly had one of those awful devices against it. He was sent back by the resulting blast. Now that the crystal was out of the way, there was a decent gap in the floor of the train. He was sitting on the ground dazed as the rogues progressed to the rest of the car. He blinked a few times as he came to his senses, glaring at the rogues that were standing over him. He grabbed a decent hunk of crystal that had landed behind his back, keeping it behind him for the time being as he glared at the leader of the group. He couldn't do anything, not without him killing the old woman. "Bastard..." He mumbled. He needed to look for some kind of opening to attack. Some means of freeing his hostage.

2. EFMingo

EFMingo Active Member

Quickly taking shelter behind a corner, Katarina shielded herself from the exploding barrier. She screamed again as the explosion happened to emphasize terror she wanted everyone to think she had. A rogue flew near her after the blast, knocked out, possibly dead. She rifled through the pockets and found little of interest, except a spare sonic resonator. Hastily, it snuck into her boot and she went back to pretending to be afraid of the body.

"Anyone move and she dies,"

The black woman's dreads were pulled tight, and large axe pressed to her head. A large, and more viscous looking rogue had her. He cast an aura of a leader, which Katarina was waiting for, but likely not a mastermind. And the intentions of the situation still weren't clear. They had a purpose here, and it certainly wasn't pickpocketing or petty theft. She thought they wanted someone to come out as well. Hopefully the same she was looking for.

The symbol glow on the head of the old woman with a sort of beautiful, yet terrifying luminescence. Rage in her expression and the familiar symbol made Katarina think the rogue over confident. She had seen it before, some time ago, but the memories weren't flooding back as usual. They felt distanced and erased, as a memory called by reference. All she knew was that it wasn't something to be trifled with.

Katarina pulled a blade from her boot and held it behind her back, ready to come off the fine dress she loved. She had to capitalize on the moment if the target showed up.

She looked at the overconfident boss, and to the old woman ready to explode with anger. He felt he was in control, but she had a hard time believing it. Something felt staged, someone was hiding. Her mouth betrayed her mind momentarily as she breathed out a quiet, yet clear "I sincerely doubt that." She gasped slightly, then smirked. Now the fun begins.

3. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Senior Member

"What do you want from us?"

The Axe-Rogue scowled at Fallow. "I want Merlin, that's what I want," he barked. "All the rogues in the land are looking for him. We were tipped off by an anonymous benefactor. He says he'll give us a million gold if we bring him in. I even heard through my network of spies that the Golden Huntress was also hired, but I guess she isn't as good as they say, because I don't see her anywhere."

The five other rogues laughed nastily at his joke.

Mance had woken up and groaned as he rolled onto his back. His jaw was bruised darkly from the kick and he rubbed it gently. "Stupid rogues," he growled. "A disease to society, they are."

"Shutup or I'll kick you again," Axe-Rogue threatened. He yanked on Lacey's locs and she cried out in pain, tears flowing from her eyes. "I want Merlin and I want him now!"

"You won't get Merlin," Lacey answered in a low, dark tone. "But you will get karma." Her horned moon tattoo was glowing more fiercely and her eyes shined out like twin stars. The same silver glow spread through her frosty grey locs and they lit up like ropes of fire. Gone was the fragile old woman and in her place was a fearsome, otherworldly creature.

Axe-Rogue gasped in shock and started to slit her throat, but he was too slow. Lacey spread out her arms and there was a blinding lightning flash. When the light faded, Axe-Rogue was flat on his back...cold and dead. Lacey stumbled and her silver glow vanished, and she passed out on the nearest seat.

"What the...?" Mance muttered.

The last five rogues looked stunned. They glanced from their dead leader to the old woman and back again, uncertain what to do.

4. EFMingo

EFMingo Active Member

Katarina loved fools. They gained an inch of ground, or took any sort of leverage on a situation, they then thought nothing could happen to them. Nothing could go wrong. They would talk and talk and let everyone know the whole story. Stupidity was a beauty to behold. Katarina listened to his spiel with excitement.

"I want Merlin, that's what I want," he barked. "All the rogues in the land are looking for him. We were tipped off by an anonymous benefactor. He says he'll give us a million gold if we bring him in. I even heard through my network of spies that the Golden Huntress was also hired, but I guess she isn't as good as they say, because I don't see her anywhere."

A measly million? I pulled more than that upfront, she thought. That explained a lot. These were the pawns, and she was the ace-in-the-hole. Put a million gold bounty on his head so the rogues will draw him out. They never would stand a chance, but they surely could find him. Then let the real payday go to the professional. Of course, they probably would never try to pay her, maybe even go after her too, but she wanted this anyways. And as before, they would either pay in coin, or as so many times before, in blood. The thought gave her a warm feeling of pleasure inside. She didn't know which form of payment she liked better anymore.

Well at least he called me by the cleanest of the titles, Katarina mused. Most men chose coarser language to describe her when they figured out what was really going on. But still, she would rather not be called out or on anyone's mind on the train. This may make the job more difficult.

"You won't get Merlin," Lacey answered in a low, dark tone. "But you will get karma."

As the old woman began to glow white hot, Katarina once again thought how she loved fools. Rushing in, thinking the brazen approach will show real results. Give their lives unintentionally for her information. It made her giggle slightly as he died. Stupid man. Thank you. She is not Merlin, but she knows. Katarina saw the cut on the old woman's neck and saw opportunity. It wasnt deep enough to be of any real danger, but enough to be convincing.

She stood up quickly, and rushed towards the woman. She pushed a rogue standing dumbstruck in the aisle to the side. "Get out of the way, half-wit." Katarina approached the woman, seeing the blood ooze out slowly. The cut seemed just enough to build the narrative. Too deep and she wouldn't be able to talk as well. Katarina needed her to tell everything. She ripped off a piece of the rogue leaders shirt, with some difficulty by hand with care to not show her knives. A large enough strip came off and she fashioned a makeshift patch for the wound. Katarina raised the woman to an upward sitting position, handheld the slight wound.

The others were still staring, awestruck at the power of the old woman. Katarina turned to them. "Are you done with you're tough guy show yet," she told them all sternly, "chilled water and some hot towels would really do us well." A motherly approach to the situation might be convincing. Time would tell.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 11:53 AM
  5. mmarage

Joseph blinked as he saw Lacey suddenly transform before his eyes. He had to avert his eyes from being blinded. However... now was the chance to strike. He blinked a few times to clear his vision as he got to his feet, the rogues distracted by the loss of their boss. He summoned a new volley of ice crystals, ready to gouge them deep into the bodies of the rogues... when that noblewoman he'd noticed on the train suddenly rushed through the bandits. This... caused Joseph to pause. The nobles that he'd met over the years had been vain, arrogant, egotistical, and selfish to a fault. They hardly do anything to help another without some ulterior motive, and wouldn't even risk that if it meant their lives might be in danger. This woman rushing to another's aid, especially through bandits that would be more likely to just slit her throat and be done with it, rather than actually obey her orders. This woman is not what she seems.

Joseph kept this idea close to the chest however. Five crystals raised around him, pointing at the bandits. "I would recommend that you do as the lady asks, unless you want to join your friends. You'll go to prison, but hey, at least you'll be alive." He said, giving a little shrug, he was out of the bandit's reach, and he was already aiming at the closest bandit that would be likely to try and swing at him if they decided to try anything.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:57 PM
  6. Erik-the-Enchanter!

The bandits almost started to obey Katarina and Joseph, but they stopped when one of them snorted. "We ain't stickin' around for y'alls to call the law on us," he sneered. "We're outtie!" With that the rogues all jumped out of the broken windows of the speeding train as easily as a kid might jump over a crack in the sidewalk. Wings opened like parachutes from their coats to help soften the landing, and they rolled expertly to avoid breaking bones.

"Good luck fighting off the other rogues, suckers!" shouted the same rogue, and the train sped away to the sound of them laughing nastily.

"What a bunch of pricks," Mance said. He spit on the ground for emphasis. "I'll fix this right up, don't you all worry." The gnome picked up his tiny shovel from where it fell and he started waving it in front of the damaged parts of the train, walking up and down the aisle. The windows un-broke themselves, glass fitting together perfectly, and every other rip, scar, or dent in the train was magically mended. "Fixing stuff is in my power," Mance explained when he was done.

"What, huh, where...?" Lacey was waking up. She blinked rapidly and looked around. "The...the rogues left? Good. Nothing but gassed-up bullies, they were. I've faced tougher foes than that lot. Though I'm afraid there may be more rogues to come." Lacey groaned as she sat up, and gently patted Katarina's shoulder. "Thank you, dear," she said with a smile, "but I can heal myself." She raised one finger and a pinpoint of silver light appeared on the end. When she touched the fingertip to her neck wound it resealed itself, leaving behind a faint line that was barely visible.

"I see you fixed up the train with your gnome magick," Lacey said to Mance as she struggled to her feet. She had to use the nearby seat to hoist herself up, and then she leaned against it to keep from falling over.

"Miss Lacey, you have a lot to explain," Mance responded. "What kind of sorcerer are you? That was some interesting magick you used there."

"I'd rather not speak about it so publicly," Lacey said, glancing around at Katarina, Joseph, and Fallow.

At that moment, Gregard the conductor roared like a wild beast and charged into the room. He was covered in bleeding scars and his teeth had grown out into fangs. His red glasses had been knocked off and yellow eyes shined out. "I just killed six rogues," he growled. "Are there any more left? Just tell me where and I'll get 'em!"

Bewitched likes this.
  7. mmarage

Joseph watched as the rogues ran off. He didn't bother trying to send his crystals out after them. The threat had been taken care of, for now at least. With a snap of his fingers, his crystals glowed brightly, before disappearing, only leaving a few ice chips behind, clattering against the ground, before melting away. He watched as the gnome, Mance, he believed his name was, if he'd heard that country boy correctly, had begun to fix all of the damage in the train car. He felt a bit relieved that they wouldn't have to be dealing with the hole in the train car he'd created with his barrier. He could see someone not paying much attention and ending up losing a leg that way.

He looked over at the old woman, Lacey, according to the gnome. He watched as she woke up, and began treating her own wound. He had to wonder what kind of magic it was that she had used... and if she was even human. He'd get those answers from her later, seeing as she wasn't exactly forthcoming with her information. Their eyes met briefly as she glanced towards him, though he did his best to keep that neutral mask that he'd become used to wearing on.

Joseph blinked as he quickly got out of the way of the conductor as he charged into the room.

"I just killed six rogues," he growled. "Are there any more left? Just tell me where and I'll get 'em!"

"I dealt with four. Mance and Lacey dealt with one together. An accident in our favor incapacitated five more, and Lacey dealt with their leader. The rest fled after that. I'm unsure of whether any more are on the train." He said simply. He knew he must be a bit of a sight, his face and clothing were splattered with blood, and the bodies of rogues, both dead and incapacitated filled the cabin. "I would recommend that we restrain those that are living and get rid of the bodies of the dead. The last thing that we need are rotting bodies getting the passengers sick." He said as he took a look around. He wanted nothing more than to shower and get into a fresh change of clothes, but he knew that this wasn't over just yet. Those unconscious rogues could stir up far more trouble, and if there are still some on the train, then they were still at risk.

8. Bewitched

Bewitched Active Member

Fallow was immensely glad everything was over. All his life he had imagined being an adventuring type of wizard going on dangerous quests and saving princesses. When he found out he was a lowly Hedge, well, those ideas were quickly squashed. Now it seemed like he was forced into the middle of a great rollicking quest. Except Fallow did not feel the excitement he presumed he would. He felt drained and weak, almost sickly, after the big adrenaline rush of the fight.

Looking about, Fallow saw the others seemed to be doing vastly better than he was. Gregard was riled up from The fight and looking more like a wolf than ever. The gnome was already up and walking around fixing the train with magick. Lacey was healing herself and standing up. Even though she needed to lean on a chair for assistance, the older woman was talking nonchalantly as if they were all gathered for tea and biscuits. Joseph was very brave-looking and composed. And the pretty rich lady...Fallow had expected her to be a complete wreck, but she had pulled it together remarkably fast and came to Lacey's aid, even pushing through the rogues to get to her.

Better act cool like them or else they'll think I'm a coward. Fallow quickly wiped the sweat from his face on his cape (which was dark brown and wouldn't show any stains) and tried to keep from breathing so hard. His hands trembled a bit, but he hid those beneath the fall of his cape to keep anyone from seeing.

"Lacey...are you sure you can't tell us?" Fallow asked finally. He glanced at Katarina, trying to look calm especially for her so she wouldn't see through his "grand wizard" act. "I know you want to keep your secrets, but if we are going to be traveling together...I think it would be better to be open. Oh, here. Your knife." He held out the long curved knife Lacey had dropped earlier for her to take.

9. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Lacey listened carefully to Joseph's words of concern abou the unconscious rogues and the dead ones. "I will take care of them," she said in a thoughtful tone. "But I might have to use...the Tablet." With one hand she reached into a secret fold of her layered robes and retrieved the large flat stone. It was blue-ish silver in color, embedded with aquamarine crystal veins, covered back and front with those carven spinning-and-swimming runes. Not at all something that the average person would possess, although in Paegan magickal items could be bought and traded on the free market.

"The Tablet gives me spiritual strength when I need it," Lacey told them, slowly, as if it was hard for her to give up her secrets. "But although the Tablet's stored power is Big Magick, it is not infinite. It is finite and don't last forever. I have to use it sparingly." She gripped the Tablet on both sides and closed her eyes, taking a long, deep breath. The runes wriggled faster in dancing spirals and the aquamarine veins burned brightly. It glowed with an intense sapphyre aura that bled into Lacey's silver aura. Suddenly Lacey's aura turned fierce platinum and her eyes snapped open with a sound like thunder.

Gregard screamed and hid behind a chair in fright. Mance the Gnome simply looked amazed, grinning slightly.

Lacey blinked again and her eyes went all platinum. One last time she blinked and the platinum light spread throughout her long locs with sizzling crackles of power. Every remaining rogue on the train disappeared from sight, as if they had never been. The bloodstains were gone as well as the blood on all the train passengers. Gregard stepped out from behind his chair, completely healed if his many scars. Everyone else was also healed of any immediate wounds.

Without speaking, Lacey took back her curved knife from Fallow and hid it away in yet another secret fold, of which she obviously had many. She gave him a small nod before speaking.

"Witness the Power of Merlin's Tablet," Lacey told everyone. "And you don't have to call me Lacey anymore, my compatriots. My real name is Priestess Ninnevah." She lifted her chin proudly and the horned moon on her forehead sparked white for a moment.

"How's that for being open?" Priestess Ninnevah asked Fallow in a wry tone.