1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

"The Last Meeting" Published

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TWErvin2, Aug 3, 2008.

Writingforums.org Folks,

Joyful! posted my short story "The Last Meeting".

This story's had a rough time finding a home. As it is, it's a niche type story. A long running magazine that had accepted it folded. And then an anthology that had accepted it stalled out.

Take a look if you get the chance.
    (They just changed formats and the text isn't as easy to read as I'd like.)
    Hope you enjoy it.

Terry

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I had no trouble reading it, and it was a very good story. I particularly liked the irony at the end. One more observation, the picture at the beginning lent a strong image to the entire story, making it that much more compelling.

Good job Terry!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

congrats on having it included, terry!... but it's a shame the editor chose to put it up in italics and white print on beige, as i found it impossible to read... could you suggest she stick to the more acceptable black/regular font to accommodate readers whose eyesight is no longer 20/20?... i'd do it, but there's no email address that i can find and i don't want to be complaining in public, with a 'guestbook' post...

love and congratulatory hugs, maia

4. TWErvin2

NaCl,

Thank you for the compliment and encouragement. The picture is actually the first piece of art that I've had 'published' online. I thought it was a good visual to support the story.

Mammamaia,

I understand about the difficulty reading. I will email her about the format.

While I could read it, the combination of italics and weak contrast of colors between the text and background could adjusted/made easier to read, especially for folks with less than perfect vision, or those who've already spent a good part of their day staring at a screen.

In anycase, thank you for your kind words as well.

Terry

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I started to read it, but the low contrast was bothering me, so I decided to print it out. Unfortunately, the straight printout preserved the colors. But I'll get to it shortly even if I have to copy and paste it into Word! :)

6. TWErvin2

Cogito,
    Maybe click control-A, it gives a better contrast to read rather than print.

Terry

7. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

What kind of printer do you have? On mine, when I click to print anything, I get a printer control box that allows me to select color or "gray scale". If I check the "gray scale" button, light-colored print becomes readable as a medium gray. It works the same way on all four of my HP printers despite being different models...also had this option on my old Cannon printer.

8. Cogito

I can try different print options. It was late when I tried it last night, and my first try didn't work out.

But if I copy and paste into Word, I can get black (not gray!) on white in any font and point size I choose, all in a matter of seconds.

9. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Congrats, TW!

10. TWErvin2

Hey Folks,

The ezine's editor changed the text to a more readable color combination. :)

Those who've taking the time, thanks for reading, and for the encouragement.

Here's the link again: "The Last Meeting" for what it's worth.

Terry

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well done Terry, I will have a read when I have the time. But congratulations on your success.

Torana

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the black is better, but why all in italics?... they're really a pain to read in big chunks and a major turn-off for me when an entire piece is done that way...

13. Cogito

The color scheme change is a huge improvement.

Having read the piece, I can appreciate the irony in its publication history. The story is rather sad, as befits the end of an era like that. It's a great example of how to use a first person POV well, and also to manage present day and flashbacks seamlessly.

Nice job, and congratulations!