1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The League of Five

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Leaka, Aug 25, 2008.

I had recently watched Fantastic Four and Spiderman. And I thought I want to write about superheroes. But not ordinary superheroes with the ordinary super sonic hearing, going invisible, etc.
    Also I didn't want that kryptonite or silver, etc. to kill them.

I was thinking of writing a psychological super hero novel. Their "weakness" is themselves, of course the enemies, and their own minds. There would be five heroes thus: The League of Five. They would all suffer from different mood disorders. Such a bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive personality disorder, anti-social disorder, etc.
    So they all are pretty much insane in the membrane just like their enemies.

What I am having a hard time is with their powers. I am not exactly sure on what to do about their super powers. I don't want them to gain their powers in that generic radioactive way or radioactive spider, etc.

Could someone help me with this? Just you know help me with some ideas.

2. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I hate to tell you man but everything has been done before. From bombs to machines, to ancient relics it has all been done before. Make it your own story though. It does not matter how they get there powers just as long as the story is well written.

3. CommieKing

CommieKing New Member

I'm actually working on an idea i have just now that is a superhero/comic book style of story, it's something i have always wanted to do but one thing that always stopped me was like yourself coming up with how they would get their powers. However, i managed to come up with an idea that i felt satisfied with and what it involved was that the character had cancer and while recieving treatment for it he was accidently given a chemo overdose (this was based on an actual incident that happened here were a young girl was given an overdose of chemo and died because of it) because it seemed that it was only a matter of time before the guy died a couple of doctors decided that this was a chance for them to test a radical, untested, unapproved treatment since he would surely die anyway and it could not harm him any further and if there was even the slightest of changes to his condition then it would perhaps be enough to merit a full test run on human subjects. Well the treatment worked and the man was cured but the radical treatment had an adverse affect on him because of all the excessive radiation in his body at the time and this is what caused his powers to develop.

4. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I like the runic talisman idea.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

What does that mean?

6. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

he means the ancient relic I spoke of I think

7. Ungood

Ungood New Member

They find this magical taslman and it gives them abilities.

yah.. what Twinpanther said.

8. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

that would be cool archeoligists, or kids doing some camping, or maybe even students on a tour of europe. that could be what gives them there disorder.

An ancient relic from Bast. All the gifts of a cat, with the curse of a sexual addiction.
    or something like that.

That way it could be something they fight for or can be stopped through other magic means

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

That isn't natural my style.
    Magic makes them sound more like wizards then heroes.

10. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Worked for the Juggernaut(tm) and he is not a wizard in any sense of the word.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh. like Billy Batson became Captain Marvel (who happens to be a DC Comics superhero, not Marvel Comics)

12. Ungood

Ungood New Member

exactly, I think Shazam also had that deal didn't he?

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yeah well I don't like it.
    I want something different.

Like something weird, something that wouldn't make a sense.
    A puzzle.

14. Ungood

Ungood New Member

bad Chinese food ?

(You have to admit that does not make sense)

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Shazam is the same as Captain Marvel. Shazam was the magic word he spoke to trigger the transformation.

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well any rotten food wouldn't make any sense.

But every time you looked at this kick butt super hero you would be reminded that he ate some rotten food and became who he was.
    What would have soy sauce eye beams?

17. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

I think most superheroes have mental problems.

18. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Honestly, I laughed at the heros' weaknesses.

Anyway, try martial experts with cards infused with magical effects instead!

On a side note: Are the magical talismans supposed to be a Jackie Chan Adventures reference?

19. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

PERFECTO!

A long time ago I wrote this novel called the Boons. But people told me that the Boons was more like a poem.
    What if I used the Boons as an enemy for my superheroes?
    And superheroes aren't just an abnormal person with abilities because of certain things.
    What if in the future all children are born with superhero abilities, but not just your ordinary super powers. Something only Leaka can create.

20. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

In my story mankind has evolved to the point where magic is real. I call them Wiccans and they are persecuted by agents with special powers themselves

But seriously magic cards are jut another type artifact that gives them powers. So ungood had the right idea all along. Like I said before it is all in how you use it.

21. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Boons are demons that have been born in this negative world. It's like the galaxy, but upside down.
    Their logic and their morals are all upside down. They kill people and staple on their flesh.
    They come from the outer parts of our universe the negative universe we created, we created it when we tried to create the perfect world. That perfect world never succeeded.
    The boons are aliens, but at the same time demons.

22. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah. Batman obviously has issues. Superman always seemed to me that he was what would happen when moral extremist got superpowers. He never has any ambiguity regarding his actions and no one even wonders if he is finally gonna cross the "line" and kill someone (ex: Batman in "The Killing Joke"). And I'm never gonna get over that people don't recognize even if he isn't wearing a mask.

OP, you shouldn't fall in these mistakes. Never give the MCs an unbreakable moral code (do give them one, but don't fall in the mistake that superman did and let them become one-sided characters) and make it interesting as to how they deal with their newly obtained powers (ex: the Thingdespises what he has become) and don't over emphasize that they think themselves as superheroes (ex. Batman is first a tactician and in some cases a detective and then a vigilante).

23. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Can someone help me make a superhero novel? I want to do it just for fun. I want the superheroes not to be heroes, but super humans (people with better reflexes, and that can see in slow motion, similar to 'Wanted').

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I wasn't going to give them a moral code.
    Moral codes are lame.
    You must do everything to survive. If you don't you'll die.

25. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I like superman he is the all american boy scout.

Acglaphotis I hate to burst your bubble but that is DC's one point I like, Batman is there only character who has never gone rogue.

Even superman has taken a walk on the dark side and guess who put him in check. The one and only batman. in fact a couple of years ago poison ivy took control of superman to kill batman and supes got dealt with again.

So even though he has major issues he has never gone rogue. Joker is still alive right? ;)