The Mist!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by chad.sims2, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

Skraal listened to the others all younger than him all inexperienced. Drake was wise he understood they would most certainly not return. Skraal approached the table making eye contact with Drake. The words of his advice lingering in his mind. Followed by the vision of the hooded shadows and the dragon. He placed his right hand over his throat remembering the slicing blade. Jagged like his swords.

Skraal was different from the others he was a seasoned hunter warrior fighter. They made small talk and greeted one another in excitement. An excitement he could not feel.

Skraal moved his gaze from Drake and removed his red tinted shades he made eye contact with Dameon. Then he looked at each and everyone. The blackbird remained perched on his shoulder as he approached the table he slammed his empty tankered down the bird fluttered its wings and flew up landing on a pillar ledge.

Skraal felt nothing of excitement not in the way they did. What he felt was relieve to finally leave this prison as he saw it.

As Skraal removed his hand from the tankered’s handle the others watched each gazing upon him. His armour was carapace not bronze his weapons a different make. The gun holstered at his waist a magical artefact of a time long since forgotten.

“You wonder what is this magic I have.” Skraal spoke through gritted teeth.

“What Am I you’re thinking. Not even I know.” This time his teeth were clenched firmly together as he spoke his words.

“Skraal enough.” Said Drake.

Skraal snarled grimacing at the mage.

“They are fools to wonder the outside. How can they begin to imagine their fates. The dangers that more than likely lurk. They are weak.” He said again this time snarling with each word.

“They are far from weak. They each posses something special something different. Not like you. You Skraal leave for reasons you cannot fathom you cannot fathom their reasons. You all know nothing of the outside. And none have returned. You are the same. And you will have each other.” Drake said loudly letting his voice echo across the whole of the in.

Skraal took his seat back at the table his eyes glazing at each of the others.

“Aye. You speak wisely old man. But do not presume to know me.” Skraal said in a soft voice yet still through gritted teeth.

“Inn keeper another tankered of Beer.” Skraal barked.

2. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

Dora had taken her seat and acknowledged Ceri's greeting, showing her the pens excitedly and laying them out carefully on the table side by side. New magic! It was very exciting.

Drake had known her mother! Dora was still amazed by that, her mother had never mentioned it. Dora wondered what else she didn't know about her parents.

She listened to Drake's dark predictions but he sounded like her parents. Why couldn't they all see that the people who had disappeared before had probably found a better place? A place so wonderful they didn't want to leave.

Dora gave a slight, irrepressible bounce in her seat then the snarly armored knight spoke to Drake. Dora listened round-eyed and watched him go back to his seat.

He seemed like he needed a friend. She grinned and took a bite of the good food laid out for them as she promised to chase him up later.

"This is pretty good," she said to Ceri, "how are your parents?"

She didn't know Ceri other than by sight but the girl seemed friendly and it was polite to ask.

3. Blossom

Blossom New Member

Ceri shook her head in bemusement again as she watched Snarly – or Skraal, it seemed his name was, though Ceri preferred Snarly - and Drake’s confrontation. It seemed the man in the red-and-black armour would have to get used to the idea that he was travelling with people whose strengths lay in directions other than beating others to a bloody pulp. Absently, Ceri wondered why he hadn’t already left and gone Outside; he certainly did not seem the type that would be satisfied with life within the three villages, and he was scornful enough of the rest of them for being “weak”.

“Do not presume to know me,” were Snarly’s last words to Drake before he ordered another beer. At this rate he’d be drunk before they left. Ceri wondered if anyone would point out to him that he was acting rather the hypocrite, presuming to know the rest of them.

Ceri’s musings were cut short by Dora sitting next to her. Excitement was clear in her every move, showing Ceri the pens Drake had gifted her with and grinning – grinning! – in Snarly’s direction.

“This is pretty good,” Dora – Bouncy, Ceri decided was a good nickname – said, “How are your parents?”

Bouncy asked the question in all innocence, but Ceri flushed a deep red, the feelings of guilt and sadness she’d had when sneaking out that morning suddenly rushing up to overwhelm her. She twisted her shirt between her fingers and had to look up at the ceiling as she answered.

“Um, well, that is,” she stammered awkwardly, “They don’t … actually … know …”

4. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Ben had taken a seat near the others that were talking, taking note of each persons name and greeting them. He paused from eating when Skraal and Drake began to talk. In spite of Skraal's attitude he felt that if this group ran into any trouble that Skraal would be a great help in getting them out of a tough spot.

He watched with interest as Dora showed Ceri her new pens.

5. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Soujiro watched with amused interest as Drake and Skraal exchanged words, he smiled to himself before taking a deep gulp of some of the fine cider laid on the table. He let the taste linger in his mouth for a little longer before swallowing. He looked around and saw Ceri blush as she attempted to explain to Dora how she got here.

A few others had wondered in whilst Souji sat there, a seemingly quite man named Ben had introduced himself and sat down at the table. Another observer, a Madeline, sat near by chewing her nails, nervous i suppose. A red head and a blonde, probably old acquaintances chatted. From the looks of things there were a few people who knew eachother from before this meeting. For those that were unknown conversation was brief or non existant, maybe for fear of offending someone and having to venture through the Mist knowing that you already have an enemy.

It was not so for Soujiro, he was content to listen, he was sure that this time of partial solitude would be the last for quite a while so he relished it knowing that with time, everyone would come to know eachother very well.

6. Teele

Teele New Member

"It would be amazing." Cassie said. "I'd like to know who built The Wall, and why."

The waitress bought food for them, and Cassie ate slowly and delicately as she looked at those around her. She was surprised at how many of them were from Harmony. Even in a place where hard work and tradition and love of the family were paramount, there were those who desired to go beyond. From the conversation, she gathered that Dameon was the one who had issued the notice, and from the look on his face he seemed surprised that so many had come. All of them were young...all but one. He sat isolated, drinking seemingly to excess, and yet it didn't seem to faze him. What had possessed him to join?

Cassie finished half of her meal, and pushed the plate away. If they would be traveling, it was probably better to eat lightly now.

7. Foxee

“Um, well, that is,” Ceri stammered awkwardly, “They don’t … actually … know …”

"Aww, geez," Dora was instantly contrite, "I'm sorry, Ceri. I should have figured that not everyone's parents would have let them go on a trip Outside."

She rearranged her pens, going on quickly to try to put Ceri at her ease again.

"I shouldn't worry about what Drake and that...that guy," here she gave a small wave toward the snarly knight, "said. After all, sure we might die but we might not, you know? And if we do I'm sure we won't die real bad."

All was right with the world again and Dora noticed Ben looking quizzically at her pens.

"Aren't they neat? Here I can draw a heart on your hand," Dora offered to Ben, holding out a red pen.

8. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

"Yes, they are neat," Ben said as he extended his left arm with his hand palm up toward where Dora held her pen ready to write. With his right hand he picked up his mug of apple cider and drank while watching Dora draw.

9. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Si quietly looks around the room, at all the people. She has never liked crowds, and didn't expect this many people to show up. Looking over at her friend, she asks "Um...so what did you bring with you?" Having Cassie by her put her mind at ease a little, though she was still worried that she wouldn't be useful to the trip.

10. Foxee

Dora grinned and held Ben's hand steady in hers as she carefully drew a small red heart and set to filling it in.

"So what do you think is in the Mist?" She asked him.

11. Teele

Teele New Member

"Well, I brought my guild bag. I have all my little pet projects and spare parts in there. I have a pack too," She swung it off her shoulder and set it on her lap and opened it up. "Which contains...some rope, a bedroll and blanket, a flint, a bit of tinder, and my rations. And I have my staff. Umm....that's all of it! What'd you bring?" She asked Si.

12. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

"Well, I brought my bow and arrows, just in case they's needed." Si puts her white bag on the table and pulls out her flashlight. "And I brought along my light creator. I believe that they used to be called flashlights, from before the mist came. I figured that a little extra light could be helpfull."

13. Jade

Jade Active Member

‘Ouch!’ Madeline muttered, snatching her hand away from her mouth. Her bloody cuticle grimaced back at her.

The others had turned to comparing equipment, and she had watched in interest as a small girl with wild curly hair arranged pens on the table. Her name was Dora, she remembered. Intrigue battled with impatience as she lined them up. When were they going to leave?

At the same time she snorted with amusement as she thought of her own ‘supplies’. Some wafer biscuits and a canister of water. This was a suicide trip if there ever was one.

Another girl, with blond hair pulled out a magical flashlight.

Madeline sidled closer to get a better look. She pulled a stool over and sat down with the group, facing the door and as far away as she could get from Skraal. The warrior had the right idea – drinking copiously. Surely that would help the night pass faster. Still, she asked the inn keeper for a glass of water.

14. Blossom

Blossom New Member

Relief washed over Ceri and she smiled at Dora, glad she had understood and accepted her situation. Others, she was sure, would be very open in their disapproval of her ‘running away’. Now that the sun was up fully, Ceri half-expected her parents or brother and sister to burst through the inn door and drag her back to the farm. She was eager for them to be away; once they were Outside, she would be able to stop worrying.

Dora was now chatting to Ben while she drew on his hand, so Ceri contented herself with watching the others. The two mage girls obviously knew each other and were discussing what they’d brought with them, watched with interest by one of the other girls – Madeline, Ceri thought her name was. She seemed to want to be as far away from Skraal as possible.

Snarly himself was still tucked away in his corner, seemingly intent on drinking himself into a stupor. Dameon was across the room with Drake, while Soujiro, like Ceri, was silently watching the various members of their group, a cool smile fixed on his face. Catching his eye, Ceri nodded at her fellow observer, then Dora’s question to Ben caught her attention.

“So what do you think is in the mist?”

Ceri half turned towards them, interested in Ben’s answer.

15. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    Hortensio pulled his cloak hood over his head, incredibly heavy as it was loaded with every knife he could find and a rucksack over his left shoulder and his swords scabbard on his belt .he looked at the sun... a little late but he assumed that they would not leave for may hours, possibly not for a day or so. As soon as entered the dark dingy establishment he could instantly tell which was the merry band of people taking the adventure over the wall filling the left half of the dining area. the chatter of what they had brought and why they had come filled the room. A single man sat on the other side of the room who Hortensio would have much rather chatted with... if he wasnt sleeping in a puddle of drool with his hand still on a crude tankard.

he decided that it was about time to introduce himself, so he took off his hood and walked towards a man who with some incredible looking swords and a collection of tankards who, having an aura of authority about him Hortensio assumed was the leader of the campaign. he sat down on the chair opposite him and said nothing. some of the other people had noticed him and gave a moments pause before continuing on their conversations. one who took a lot of interest was a tiny girl with a hand full of seemingly random objects. someone who was not the man across from him spoke and Hortensio looked around to see who it was.

16. Jade

Jade Active Member

Madeline noticed that another girl sitting nearby was also looking worried. Earlier, she had overheard the conversation between Ceri and Dora as she revealed that she too was running away.

She doubted that Ceri’s parents would beat her into a bloody pulp if they found her, but in one respect she realized that they had something in common in trying to escape.

Madeline watched Dora drawing the heart on Ben’s hand. The red looked bright – too bright. Bloody. He moved his hand and the heart quivered. Madeline swallowed and forced herself to remain sitting. She tapped her heel on the wooden floor. The water slithered down her throat.

The door opened and another adventurer walked in behind her. His cloak jangled as he walked, and she could see the tell-tale lumps of knives. He sat opposite Skraal, and her eyebrows rose as she waited for his reaction.

17. Raven

Raven Banned

Skraal stared at his empty tankered and was about to call the innkeeper for another when a hooded figure entered the inn and approached him. Skraal noticed the heavy rucksack and also noticed it was loaded with knifes. The man sat besides him. He said nothing just merely acknowledged skraal who merely gave a look in return.

“Innkeep my tankered is empty. Fill it.” Skraal called.

The Innkeep swiftly came across and collected all the empty tankered’s across the table. Skraal removed his shades and placed them in the pouch at his waist. His pupils were black and the whites of his eyes as always had been were in a sea of Red. The Innkeeper shuddered at his glare.

“You certainly drink a great deal friend. How is it you are still standing.” The keeper said.

“Will power.” Skraal replied as the Innkeeper left to fetch another tankered.

“Bring me a large jug with that so as I may fill it myself.” Skraal called.

The blackbird came down from the rafters and landed on the tables edge by Skraal and pecked at the crumbs of left food.

“Bring my bird some bread crust.” He said again.

The Innkeeper returned with a large jug and the tankered and a crust of bread which he placed by the bird. The bird squawked and pecked at the red. Skraal raised the jug and poured his beverage of beer into the tankered.

Hortensio who sat next to Skraal with his cloak pulled back said nothing but merely acknowledged the warrior. Skraal ran his hand across his three facial scars once more. A memory passed him by.

“Sir if I may ask how was it you acquired those deep scars across your face.”

Skraal looked up to see the Innkeeper still there cleaning the table around the posse od adventurers. Skraal turned away from the keeper and watched his bird peck at the crust then hop onto the Jugs corner and take a drink.

18. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    The warrior was a hard man. obvious simply from the amout he drank he was a man to be reckoned with. Hortensio sat and examined him, conversation was not required, but the inn keeper in a moment of ignorance, arrogance, or mealy a poor judge of character asked the warrior;
    "Sir if I may ask how was it you acquired those deep scars across your face.”
    hortensio winced, as the scarred man stood, his bronze armor clanking sending the room silent, he stared a barman and drew his sword an inch out of his scabbard, the metal was black, like nothing he had ever seen before yet still held its luster.
    The barman realising his mistake quickly stumbling over his words as he tried to articulate an apology that wouldn't remove his head from his shoulders, then mumbled something about free beer. as he scampered to the bar hortensio yelled out to him. "And bring me a mead and a broth!"
    one of the girls hushed his name from behind Hortensio, "Skraal!", who now stumbled a bit on his feet then sat down again and looked at Hortensio with a raised eyebrow.
    "may as well take advantage of his hospitality, i dont think it shall come aroud again" Hortensio said with a level tone and a wry smile.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

Skraal dusted down his Scarlett and black carapace armour he gave Hortensio a low growl. The Innkeeper noted the feral look in Skraal’s red eyes. The warriors swords held firmly in place sheathed in their scabbards on his back in a criss cross. The magic weapon a revolver at his waist and the bird sipping his ale and pecking on the bread.

Skraal once again touched the scars across his face took another large swig from his Tankered.

“A beast.” He said to the Innkeeper.

The innkeeper bowed his head appreciate of the red and black armoured warriors reply. He wondered what kind of beast but clearly realised asking would pay no head. Skraal let his vision fall into a darkness and passed out with his head hitting the tables edge.

The sky was clear and the moon high. Skraal turned in a full circle he was back in a forest where abouts he was unsure. He heard the roar of a beast in the distance. The soil he stood on was hard. He made a step forwards and the soil turned moist and damp covering his foot in dirt. He looked down to see he’d stood in what looked like swamp mud. Turning around the forest had gone and he was surrounded in a shroud of thick fog.

Yellow eyes glowed from the fog moving closer he reached for his sword from his back but found himself bare chested.

“Tell me Who are you?” He called out.

The figure was gone leaving him stood on a rocky island surrounded by a lake of flowing lava. Occasionally an explosion of flames would erupt. Skraal wiped his brow cleaning sweat beads from his forehead. The roar of a dragon came loud and clear the dragon emerged from the flames in the distance. He flew to him and spread its flames across the river of lava.

Skraal shielded his eyes from the brightness of the blue flames vomiting from the beasts jaws. He looked again to see the lava had turned to water and a mist surrounded the lake he stood waist high in.

“What do you want?” he called.

He blinked. The lake was gone he was stood in a field still bare chest and colder his bird flew above squawking. He looked up the bird had its wings spread out and hovered on the blowing winds. Skraal looked back down to find he was surrounded by 12 hooded figures.

“Who are you?” he said allowed with a growl to his voice through gritted teeth.

“Who are you.” One said stepping forwards and plunging a blade into his neck. Skraal fell back.

The bird squawked and landed on his head. He looked up his tankered empty and he was back in the Inn. He’d passed out and dreamed another vision.

The bird hopped off his head and back to its bread crust. Skraal took in hand the tankered the cup was empty and the jug half full. Drake now stood behind him.

“I feel for you warrior you soul is troubled. Remember my advice and keep well.” Drake said.

“What do you know?” Skraal asked.

Drake placed a hand on skraal’s black shoulder pad.

“You will face a destiny warrior.” Drake simply replied before walking away.

20. Foxee

Dora had decided that she liked Ceri, an easy decision, and she idly noticed Skraal passing out, his head thumping on the table, as she finished her careful drawing on Ben's hand and let him go with a smile.

Then Skraal sat back up so swiftly that Dora jumped and dropped the pen which clattered to the table in the sudden silence. Drake stood behind the troubled young man and placed a hand on his shoulder as though he was imparting prophecy and Dora's eyes rounded at his words.

“You will face a destiny warrior.”

Drake walked away.

"Wow," Dora breathed, "I was right. He'll need a friend." She looked at Skraal's thunderous expression and saw the desperation behind it, "He just doesn't know it yet."

21. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

(For those of you who haven't posted, you are here with us at this time. Si and Cassandra recived no gifts but where greeted kindly, and wished the best of luck from Drake. Ben receved a small metal box of medicine and pain killers. the rest recivied advise, kind words, and such as the group was to big for him to prepare gifts for everyone.)
    Drake finished speaking to the warrior and walked over to me. "I belive most of your party has arrived you best introduce yourself." He advised and I nodded and thanked him again.

I walked out into the center of the group and cleared my throat. The sun was comming in through the windows, I had been here for several hours now, and the group that had amassed was impressive. "First I'd like to thank each of you for coming, I know you have your own reasons but the more the merrier right?" I started pausing awkwardly after the bad joke before continueing. "Their isn't much I'd like to say just that I don't know what is out their anymore than you do, but I'll try my best to bring everyone back safely." I said and looked out the window again. "The gate is a good five hour walk from here so we'd best get going if wish to bbe gone before mid day." I commented and picked up my pack, my new electric lamp tucked safly inside.

Drake frowned and made his way over to Si and Cassandra. He put a hand on each of their shoulders and his eyes looked upon the two with great sadness. "If possible, do return to me." He told them, squeezing their shoulders as if he wanted to hug them, but that was all he did, before turning away and leaveing. He walked out the door without glanceing back, he knew he'd likely never see them again and didn't wish to have one final look back at his students or he might wish to join them to protect them if nothing else, but no, he was needed within the wall.

22. Raven

Raven Banned

"First I'd like to thank each of you for coming, I know you have your own reasons but the more the merrier right?" I started pausing awkwardly after the bad joke before continueing. "Their isn't much I'd like to say just that I don't know what is out their anymore than you do, but I'll try my best to bring everyone back safely." I said and looked out the window again. "The gate is a good five hour walk from here so we'd best get going if wish to bbe gone before mid day." Finished Dameon.

Skraal rose to his feet the blackbird fluttered it’s wings and flew through the open door. Skraal stretched his arms placed his Red shades across his eyes and stepped outside the Inn. The others gathered in the same manner.

Five hours and then finally he would be released from this haven. Drakes advice and those final words. Skraal knew not what they meant and focused back to his latest vision.

The Innkeeper stepped to the door and passed a loaf of bread and half cooked half raw meat in a pouch to Skraal.

“The bread is for you bird. Where did you get those shades. I have never seen the like before they are like a red mirror.” The innkeeper asked quizzically.

Skraal sighed and removed them to look the innkeeper straight in the eye.

“They were a gift from the guild given to me many years ago.” Skraal took the packed meat and bread. Drank the last of ale from his tankered, and passed the empty cup to the Innkeeper.

“I wish you no ill feelings warrior. But I sense you’ll not be returning to this place again.” The innkeeper said before turning away and returning to his Inn.

Skraal watched Drake walk off into the distance. The mage turned for a moment and nodded to Skraal.

“Be well Skraal warrior from the North.” He said bellowed before turning away.

Skraal placed his shades over his eyes again and took a long look around. The bird hovered above squawking. He removed the revolver from its holster checked it was still polished and placed it back into the holster.

Skraal mused the thought that Dameon declared himself Leader.

“It is time we moved Dameon.” Skraal said his voice gruff.

23. Jade

Jade Active Member

Madeline watched as Dameon stepped into the middle of the group and declared himself as leader.
    She almost smiled, glancing around. No one looked very merry.

Dameon looked young, and she wondered what could have led him to walk into danger at such an age. Well, she corrected. He probably isn't that much younger than me.

The group exited the inn and gathered outside. On the way out, Madeline snaffled the last of the food and poured it into her bag.

Outside, people were stirring and many looked at the gathered group, shaking their heads solemnly. She pulled her hood up to hide her face.

24. Blossom

Blossom New Member

“Wow, I was right. He'll need a friend.”

Ceri should probably have been worried about Dora’s apparently extreme innocence, but she found it rather endearing. She lifted her hands to her mouth to stifle the laughter than bubbled up her throat, Dora didn’t notice, watching Snarly’s face darken, "He just doesn't know it yet.”

“Good luck with that,” Ceri whispered as Dameon got up to address the group. He looked nervous, and almost immediately plunged the room into an awkward silence with a bad joke. Ceri bit her lip in sympathy. Dameon recovered quickly however, relaxing the more he talked. With a bit of practice he’d be a darn good public speaker.

Ceri felt excitement building as she realised that Dameon was telling them it was time to go; she shared a grin with Dora, and then the quiet inn was suddenly full of noise as everyone got up and gathered their things. Chairs scraped back along the floor and the door was held open for everyone to push out, the bright sunlight a shock after the darker inn.

Stretching her arms above her head, Ceri felt her face split into a wide smile. “This is it.”

25. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

“It is time we moved Dameon.” Skraal said his voice gruff.

"R-right." I said walking out the door. Everyone was in a loose group. No need for anyone leading the way, everyone knew where the gate was. I pulled a bit of head of the group and smiled to myself. "So we're off." I said simply, as I wondered what we would find outside the gate.

I glanced back at the group behind me as we walked through the town. People watching us, I don't think there has been a group this big in a long while, their must be a lot of worried parents. I though about my dad, he would be wondering if I had reached the gate yet, or if I was still at the Inn, while he pounded away at a horse shoe or some other farming necessity. I smiled at the thought, and continued walking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.