The Muse

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Yitz, May 26, 2010.

1. Scot

Scot Senior Member

No, but the effervescent effusion of ideas generated by the electro-chemical interaction of synapses and neurons must run a pretty close second.

PilotMobius likes this.
  2. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I don't believe in a muse, per se. I just believe that for most people (or, at least for me) there are good days and bad days, which depend on a plethora of other forces and circumstances. Some days the stars align for writing, other days we have to take on the enormous task of aligning them ourselves.

The important part is that you have to put your nose to the grindstone, sometimes even when you don't want to write. Very rarely will you find a person that is always "in the mood"; but they *are* out there, and I envy them.

3. Zack

Zack Member

Muse I don't know but I believe that angels exist. Holy and fallen

4. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Literally? No. Not really.
    However, I find it a useful device to personify my level of inspiration. If I say "my muse has gone," it conveys something a touch more enchanting than saying "I'm having a hard time writing today."

I like the idea of muses. I like to indulge the idea. Just like I wish various rocks and minerals could be healing crystals like some of my holistic friends ardently believe. It's fun to pretend.

5. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

6. Neural

Neural Member

I believe in muses only insofar as they are a wonderful way to describe how my creativity works in my life. :)

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Have you seen Elizabeth Gilbert's Ted Talk on this subject?

I don't literally believe in a muse, but I agree with her argument that choosing to "believe" in the concept can be useful.

Lyrical likes this.
  8. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Yes, but not literally. I don't believe in the Greek goddesses, if that's what you're asking. :)
    I do feel that my stories are "inserted" in my mind somehow. They just appear and keep bugging me until I write them. I don't "make up" the story in a conscious effort to do so. My job is to tell the story as it comes to me, and it's difficult enough as it is.
    Call it subconscious, call it the Muses, it's how it is with me.

9. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Yes,

His name is "Bastard!" Sometimes it's "You filthy Bastard!" And occasionally it gets worse.

I'm a pure pantster. I can only write what I'm fairly much inspired to write, which has its pro's and cons. The pro's are that I write very fast and very passionately when I'm in the moment. I don't notice distractions. Everything else but what I'm writing goes out the window.

The cons are that I can only write what I'm passionate about. So that means no sequels in general because once I've finished, it's done. No book is ever written with a sequel in mind. It means I have a lot (hundreds) of half finished books on my computer because I ran out of inspiration at some point. It means I can't choose a genre to stick to, which is a bummer because if I could stick to just one it would be better for my carreer. And sometimes I write things in genres that I know from the outset will never sell, because that's what I'm inspired to write about.

But it's what I am I suppose.

Cheers, Greg.

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    brainlick.jpg Close enough. :supergrin:

11. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

There is an unseen battle for our minds.

For thousands of years, good and evil, right and wrong, light and dark have tried to push humanity one direction or the other. The most effective way of steering the unwieldy boat of humanity, is through influencing ideas. That's where these muses, manipulative beings with no care for an individuals will, come into play. They force ideas into a mind, shoving more and more until their victim has no choice but to vomit the poison all over a---

Yeah, I got lost in my metaphor/story there.
    No by the way, a literal 'muse' is just an excuse for 'I can't think of what to write'
    Someone who motivates you to write though? That's a real thing.

12. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Literal Muses, no

But I do think it's an apt depiction of the feeling of when the universe comes together in just the right way (completely coincidentally) to inspire or implant creative instinct or ability in me

It seems as others know that particular feeling of "the stirrings of the Muse"

The reason the expressions stuck around I think is evidence that it speaks to artists/creative types on some deep level and puts into words an undergoing of a force that feels at once us and not us

13. mitchell21

mitchell21 New Member

absolutely do.
    I fantastic book to read that discusses this matter is: The war of art by Steven Pressfield

14. Lady Fickle

Lady Fickle Member

Yes, Peter Pan is a muse:)
    So is Mary Poppins.
    So is Winnie The Pooh.
    And all the beloved characters that great writers brought to life - they are Muses.
    The authors themselves have been touched by God and had the power to create a Muse.

15. Ebenezer Lux

Ebenezer Lux Member

A muse to me is a central concept, a block of inspiration that powers the writer's sense of vision for their projects. In that sense, yes, I believe in muses.

16. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't believe in supernatural beings. I believe that writers can have a subjective experience of a muse, however.

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Definitely - i caught three of them in the kitchen yesterday , one of the little blighters was eating cooked cheese off the grill...

no, wait :D

18. CaitlinCarver

CaitlinCarver Member

I believe in the concept of a muse as anything that inspires you to write. Whether that is a flesh-and-blood person or creature, a song, a sunset, you name it, I believe that is your muse embodied. Muses exist to inspire and guide you, but I firmly believe that they are grounded in your own consciousness and not a work of Gods and/or Goddesses who go to some far-off realm to have a second life when you're not using them.

However, if it inspires you to believe that a muse exists, and helps you in such a manner, go for it!