The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Sunshine.Casey.Bear

Sunshine.Casey.Bear New Member

I love all kinds of music. There is not a type of music you can find that I won't in some way like. Normally I listen to rock and Musicals though..

Like right now, I'm listening to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, because A. I love the movie (know every word) and B. Because I'm addicting to their voices.

2. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I've just discovered Niobe (Yvonne Cornelius), so I thought I'd give a shout-out to an artist who deserves one! :D

I got my hands on one of her albums called White Hats, which is incredibly good. I'd best describe it as ambient/experimental electronica, with a hint of the blues-y stylings of artists such as Cat Power. Top of the play-list for a while. :)

3. sarahb

sarahb New Member

Im obsessed with Bright Eyes at the moment.
    Conor's voice is amazing and the lyrics make most sense to me then most song.

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Well, I mentioned this in the old music thread, and I got a bunch of suggestions, but when it got deleted...*poof* there goes my suggestions. I'm looking for some new music. Here's some of my favorite artists. Anybody else like them and knows some more that are similar?

Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against, Shinedown, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Slipknot, Seether, The Offspring, Chevelle, Crossfade, Queen, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 3 Doors Down, Atreyu and a few others I only have one song of (Hoobastank, Default, Trapt, 10 Days, All That Remains, Escape the Fate, Black Stone Cherry)

Thanks.

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I don't particularly get into most of those bands, but I can recommend some others (unendorsed and vicariously) based on what you have listed. According to Last.fm, listeners that like those bands also like:

Atreyu
    Trivium
    Eighteen Visions
    The Confession
    Killswitch Engage
    Escape the Fate
    Three Doors Down
    12 Stones
    Evans Blue
    Smile Empty Soul
    Staind
    Black Stone Cherry
    Saliva
    Submersed

That's just based on the first couple. For bands similar to Lynyrd Skynyrd, I'd suggest Cream, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, .38 Special, maybe some Doors and Them (Van Morrison)...

Should give you a good starting point and keep you going for a while. :p

6. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

Anyone care for Mushroomhead or Cash? I am sure their are a few Cash listeners but I am pretty sure I am the only Mushroomhead fan outside of Cleveland

7. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I prefer Slipknot over Mushroomhead but Mushroomhead is pretty good

Mushroomhead, Marilyn Manson, Thousand Foot Krutch, Chimaira, Yellowcard, Scars On Broadway, 10 Years, AFI, The Unseen

8. RadioActive

RadioActive New Member

Recently I've done my best writing listening to Thank You by Dido xP

Which is a long stretch from the System of A Down I started out with.

I listen to a little bit of all genres. I enjoy music, and don't like taking sides on which music is best.

9. HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn New Member

::giggles:: Hi RadioActive, or shall I say Mister J? I'm Harley Quinn, your long-lost evil side-kick hehe...well, not "evil" perse...just really really clever :p

Anyway, back to music stuff: I'm currently digging Django Reinhardt. Gypsy jazz is unbelievably cool - check it out.

Also, I've gone back to my roots to discover that not only does Kylie Minogue make my heartstrings flutter, she is also responsible for turning at least 3/4 of the world's population of prebubescent boys into blossoming drag queens aka my bffls.

Oh, and in my iPod, I tend to frequent Coldplay's Viva la Vida, MCR's The Black Parade, Ivy (responsible for the opening theme song to Kingdom Hospital), and of course the theme song to Doctor Who.

HQ

10. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

My highest played for the week to be found in my blog along with some reviews I've started to write: https://www.writingforums.org/blog.php?b=1723

This week's Record of the Week, according to the highly subjective and bias me, Surf City - Surf City EP - indie.rock

Also highly played this week:

The Acorn - alt.folk
    All The Saints - pysch.rock
    Bear Hands - indie.rock
    Bon Iver - Blood Bank EP - alt.folk
    Crystal Stilts - post.punk
    The Dears - indie
    Deerhunter - alt.rock
    Remember Remember - post.rock

11. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I love music like anyone else. I listen to multiple genres, but my favorite would probably have to go to R&B. It feels me with that relaxed, yet unwieldy emotion.

12. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

R&B is cool. I like stuff similar Kanyes's Everything I Am.
    Any 3OH!3 fans?

13. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

A few weeks until Soundwave Festival in Australia.

Only really want to see a few bands (In Flames, Cult of Luna, Lamb of God and Devil Driver)

Also seeing them in Sideshows, because In Flames dont come out often enough for my liking ;)

Also seeing Cohen Lenard in a few weeks, slightly different, but i love that man....musical wise!

14. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

Lamb of God :D i want to see them next month but i'm not sure whether tickets have sold out as i just got money now.

15. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Their sideshow with in flames sold out in five and a half minutes here

BUT its a small, intimate venue (which is what you want with metal, not some stupid 40,000 over the top crap, unless its a festival).

Oh, since i've been gone for a while i have discovered Suicide silence, which i actualy met after the show and had a smoke with (i didnt expect them to be out in the open after they played). Their pretty cool, relaxed "dudes"

Are they playing at Waken? im thinking of selling one of my kidneys to be at it...first wave of bands playing i heard were Nevermore and Carcass.......1 and 2 on my alltime list list.

16. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

Yeah Lamb of God are co-headlining with a band called Dimmu Borgir here, i *think* there are still tickets left, it's a small venue which is cool, i tend to find that unless the band is massive, the sound generally sucks at large venues. My friend is going to Wacken, he always goes xD

17. abculatter_2

abculatter_2 New Member

18. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

This week, I 'ave been mostly listening to.... (works a little better if you are familiar with The Fast Show and the character Jesse >_>)

Christophe Beck - decidedly difficult to topple Tori Amos from the number one position in my charts, considering her albums, B-Sides and official bootlegs take up more than 10% of my entire library (which is at least 5X more than any other artist). :eek:
    Tori Amos
    Niobe *insert more rambling about how good White Hats is here*
    Depeche Mode
    The Black Heart Procession
    ASHES dIVIDE - Billy Howerdel's latest project. Comparisons to A Perfect Circle are unfair, but I'm going to say I like APC better, anyway. :p
    Tool
    Massive Attack
    Tricky
    St. Vincent

¯\º_o/¯

19. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Heavy >>> Dimmu Borgir, Naglfar, Behemoth ftw :-D

Heavy-ish>>> Slipknot (heavy but not black-metal heavy), Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold, Marilyn Manson also ftw :-D

Heavy edge>>> Thousand Foot Krutch, Lostprophets, Disturbed also ftw :-D

and a slightly different topic, i also enjoy listening to 3OH!3 (not heavy at all)

20. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Britney Spears

I love this woman so much, I have all her albums! I think she is a sweet, my favourite album is 'Blackout'. I don't care much for her new album though. What is your opinion on this fiesty pop sensation?

21. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I sure hope you're kidding...

22. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Britney spears = SPAM.

See now this is why I should be a Mod. :p

I reeeaaaallly hope this is a joke.

23. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I refuse to comment. (oh, wait, that's a comment... QUICK! DELETE IT! DELETE IT!)

24. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

How rude. How is this spam? I see threads on irrational fears, TV shows...why not everyones favourite female icon? I guess if you want to be close-minded, however, you're entitled to your opinion too.........................also, considering your post is of an off-topic nature, maybe it is time to reconsider what you consider 'spam'.

So guys, what is your favourite Britney Album? Or is that a spammy question too, Ashleigh?

25. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.

I'm going to tell you this just once.

There is a music thread. If you want to talk about music, do not make an individual thread in the lounge to express it - take it there instead.

Considering you're a new member I dont see that you have any place in telling me to consider what 'spam is'.

If you talk extra-specially nice to a mod, they might just move your post for you. Talk like that and you'll get yourself banned very quickly.

..Off the record, since WHEN was Britney spears everyones favourite female icon? This is a writing forum, not the 'lets talk about superficial crap!" forum.:rolleyes:

Please read the rules about posts before coming out all guns blazing.